What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Walmsley

Drag Queen

Bench
MacDonald is big, but not fast at all.
Nene MacDonald is one of Gold Coast’s unheralded players, but it was hard to ignore him on Friday night.

The crafty winger bagged two tries as his Titans thrashed an out-of-sorts St George Illawarra at Kogarah.

The best was an intercept from a horrid Gareth Widdop pass just a few metres out from the Dragons’ tryline, and MacDonald showed his speed to sprint nearly 100 metres and burn the opposition chasers.

Remember this game ?

Old Timer

Coach
Nene MacDonald is one of Gold Coast’s unheralded players, but it was hard to ignore him on Friday night.

The crafty winger bagged two tries as his Titans thrashed an out-of-sorts St George Illawarra at Kogarah.

The best was an intercept from a horrid Gareth Widdop pass just a few metres out from the Dragons’ tryline, and MacDonald showed his speed to sprint nearly 100 metres and burn the opposition chasers.

Remember this game ?
So ?????
It's not about then it's about now.
Out running St George players is hardly a great feat in itself and you wouldn't need a lot of speed to do it.
Did he do anything remotely like that in 2017?

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

Remember this game ?

Can't say I do.

However, running away from a Dragons backline bereft of any real pace since Brett Morris left is hardly noteworthy, is it?

True_Believer

Juniors
Can't say I do.

However, running away from a Dragons backline bereft of any real pace since Brett Morris left is hardly noteworthy, is it?

That game we had Mann and FFL on the wings - one of which we are calling for to be a winger in 2018 (even replace Nene) and the other was no slouch in the speed stakes either.

In the highlights Don also looks to be keeping Mann at a safe distance without too much effort when he scored his try. Both tries required our wingers to turn and chase. At best we were able to stay with the GC wingers but not catch them.

Last edited:

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
That game we had Mann and FFL on the wings - one of which we are calling for to be a winger in 2018 (even replace Nene) and the other was no slouch in the speed stakes either.

In the highlights Don also looks to be keeping Mann at a safe distance without too much effort when he scored his try. Both tries required our wingers to turn and chase. At best we were able to stay with the GC wingers but not catch them.

Neither KFFL or Mann would be considered 'fliers'.

denis preston

First Grade
And yet we are calling for Mann to play on the wing? Irrespective, somehow the thread has moved from Walmsley to Nene, and all I was doing was supporting Drag Queen's post about Nene being faster than he has shown us. He may not be a flier either but he is better than he has been for us.
TB with Nene it is accelaration. He has a big body and the motor takes time to get into gear. Over 10 meters sorry but over 80 great.I'd rather have the acceleration to beat his man in the first place.

Drag Queen

Bench
TB with Nene it is accelaration. He has a big body and the motor takes time to get into gear. Over 10 meters sorry but over 80 great.I'd rather have the acceleration to beat his man in the first place.
Yet he is still the 2nd quickest over 40 metres Dennis, excluding Field who hasn't really played much FG. I'm not defending him for his lacklustre performance in 2017, but I know he has the gas. Needs to get a bomb under him and some motivation. I still have hope.

Old Timer

Coach
Yet he is still the 2nd quickest over 40 metres Dennis, excluding Field who hasn't really played much FG. I'm not defending him for his lacklustre performance in 2017, but I know he has the gas. Needs to get a bomb under him and some motivation. I still have hope.
He needs light and easy.
He has put on too many kgs (maybe bulk).
I think some time ago he did the same thing then all of a sudden he was 8 or so kgs lighter and far better player.
Maybe he has no will power or a liking for the good stuff in life but he is certainly bulkier now than when he was doing some reasonable things at the Titans.

Drag Queen

Bench
He needs light and easy.
I think some time ago he did the same thing then all of a sudden he was 8 or so kgs lighter and far better player.
Maybe he has no will power or a liking for the good stuff in life but he is certainly bulkier now than when he was doing some reasonable things at the Titans.
As far as body weight mass index you're right. 6-8 kg loss would be ideal. You're also right about his willpower OT, but I still question about the coaching of this kid. He's still incredibly young but I'll watch with interest how he performs for PNG.

dungay dragon

Juniors
He needs light and easy.
Thought we had this gun High Performance Unit that Monitored fitness and weight etc etc of the elite 30 first grade squad ... but then again this was the same mob that had us peaking at the start of the season and falling off badly toward the end , along with Super coaches bash and barge game plan..

Old Timer

Coach
Thought we had this gun High Performance Unit that Monitored fitness and weight etc etc of the elite 30 first grade squad ... but then again this was the same mob that had us peaking at the start of the season and falling off badly toward the end , along with Super coaches bash and barge game plan..
Can't wait for "Boot Camp 2" and the pressers after it, that is of course if we do it again.
Things have been incredibly quiet on that front does anyone know what is happening on that front.

Frank Facer

First Grade
There is an article on Foxsports with James Graham saying that if he had to nominate one player from England that NRL recruiters should look at, it would have to be Wamsley. He then went onto say

That all 16 NRL clubs should look at him to see if they can squeeze him in.

That he has probably been the number 1 front rower in Super League for a couple of years now and he has finally got his chance on the International stage, where his has shone so bright.

His carries and the size of him would cause plenty of headaches for any defensive line.

He is a big boy, but he's got a bit of pace. He brings energy and a lot of aggression to the defence, too.

Anyone who watches him play can see that he is a serious prospect.

That sounds like a pretty good wrap to me. He also sounds exactly what we need to add to our roster.

I wonder if Newcastle would be interested in Thompson? They still do have a lot of cap space available. Maybe Newcastle are interested in Wamsley too?

Last edited:

Brutalitops

Juniors
There is an article on Foxsports with James Graham saying that if he had to nominate one player from England that NRL recruiters should look at, it would have to be Wamsley. He then went onto say

That all 16 NRL clubs should look at him to see if they can squeeze him in.

That he has probably been the number 1 front rower in Super League for a couple of years now and he has finally got his chance on the International stage, where his has shone so bright.

His carries and the size of him would cause plenty of headaches for any defensive line.

He is a big boy, but he's got a bit of pace. He brings energy and a lot of aggression to the defence, too.

Anyone who watches him play can see that he is a serious prospect.

That sounds like a pretty good wrap to me. He also sounds exactly what we need to add to our roster.

I wonder if Newcastle would be interested in Thompson? They still do have a lot of cap space available. Maybe Newcastle are interested in Wamsley too?
Newcastle were one of the 4 clubs looking into Walmsley including us. But according to Mole on twitter Joel Thompson's management is still talking to Manly so it might happen if things work out.

Basically if Mitchell Pearce goes to Sharks or Knights and not Manly, they may go for Thompson, leaving us free to pursue Walmsley

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Newcastle were one of the 4 clubs looking into Walmsley including us. But according to Mole on twitter Joel Thompson's management is still talking to Manly so it might happen if things work out.

Basically if Mitchell Pearce goes to Sharks or Knights and not Manly, they may go for Thompson, leaving us free to pursue Walmsley

Well said

Como Connection

First Grade

He's off to the Sharks.
CC