What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wanna get back into weights - advice please

Cliffhanger

Coach
Gotta love that testosterone rush after a heavy set even if you're a girl eh Cliffy? :)

The best feeling was going for a run straight after a tough weights session. Running is that much easier than squats, oh and contrast showers after a tough weights session. Contrast showers always feel great, but after benching above your body weight they feel awesome.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
You're a machine Cliffy, some days climbing the stairs is hard enough after squats, let alone running!

Cliffhanger

Coach
TBH I'm finding that my body weight leg workouts are killing my legs more, last Friday's leg workout left me with sore glutes for 5 days.

Bulgarian Split Squats, One-Legged Squats, Explosive Squats, One Legged RDLs, Lunges, Side Lunges, Proper Star Jumpers (so you start off in the Sumo Squat position and Land in it) and Bam Bams.

abpanther

Staff member
The only leg muscle I struggle to get sore on the next day is calves, I just keep upping the weight on my calf raises and still feel hardly any soreness the next day.

Also, I'm really considering swapping lunges for machine leg extensions, I just find lunges frustrating to do and increase weight on.

RHCP

Bench
^should definitely be able to get those deads up pretty quickly.
I agree. Although it's true for all the big lifts, I think the deadlift is the most form dependent in terms of lifting heavy weights. I added 25kg in about two weeks when I learnt proper technique.

Don't worry about soreness ab - it isn't an indicator of a good workout. Progression is.

abpanther

Staff member
Ive noticed now that as a result of making sure I break at the hips first with my squats to keep my knees behinf my feet, I think im bending my back a little too far forward when im going down for my squats, anyone else have this problem when they started?

Need to try and keep my back as straight as possible

dogslife

Coach
I don't think you need to keep your knees behind your feet. I just tried doing that to see what it would feel like and the only way I could do it was to bend my back like a motherf**k. Who knows maybe I'm wrong, but it's not the way I've ever done it, and I've never had any issues with my back. Watch the video and you'll see the knees should pretty much line up with your toes

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/barbell-full-squat

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I've never owned a weights belt, should I get one for these compound exercises?

How heavy are you lifting, and are you carrying any injuries? I haven't felt the need to use a belt yet, though I've got a few mates who lift pretty serious numbers that use one.
ALso if you're gonna get a belt get the full powerlifting style belts that are the same thickness the whole way round, not the ones that are narrower in the front as they don't do a lot.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Ive noticed now that as a result of making sure I break at the hips first with my squats to keep my knees behinf my feet, I think im bending my back a little too far forward when im going down for my squats, anyone else have this problem when they started?

Need to try and keep my back as straight as possible

Yeah I kinda know what you mean. Remember a straight back and an upright back aren't the same thing though, it's cool as long as you're maintaining the arch in your spine.

abpanther

Staff member
I don't think you need to keep your knees behind your feet. I just tried doing that to see what it would feel like and the only way I could do it was to bend my back like a motherf**k. Who knows maybe I'm wrong, but it's not the way I've ever done it, and I've never had any issues with my back. Watch the video and you'll see the knees should pretty much line up with your toes

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/barbell-full-squat

What does everyone else think of this video? Seems like he doesnt go down far enough, I have to have my legs mire spread out than that

abpanther

Staff member
How heavy are you lifting, and are you carrying any injuries? I haven't felt the need to use a belt yet, though I've got a few mates who lift pretty serious numbers that use one.
ALso if you're gonna get a belt get the full powerlifting style belts that are the same thickness the whole way round, not the ones that are narrower in the front as they don't do a lot.

At the moment im only at 60 kg on the 5x5 format. I have no injuries.

Some when you break to lower for you squat what angle would you say your back is at?

abpanther

Staff member
Im starting to get confused now, ive been doing my squats with a wide stance, toes slightly ouy and dropping below the parallel. Seems this is the powerlifting squat which I read doesn't hits the quads as much and instead hits the lower back and hips.

Side what is the best squat technique?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Im starting to get confused now, ive been doing my squats with a wide stance, toes slightly ouy and dropping below the parallel. Seems this is the powerlifting squat which I read doesn't hits the quads as much and instead hits the lower back and hips.

Side what is the best squat technique?

THat's the technique I use, AFAIK it hits both e quads and the hams/glutes. I feel it in the lower back/glutes a lot but I've also noticed that I've put on a fair bit of size in my quads so doesn't seem to be lacking there!

At the moment im only at 60 kg on the 5x5 format. I have no injuries.

Definitely wouldn't be thinking about a belt for a long while yet- I got up to 147.5 early in the year and I'm still not using a belt.

S
ome when you break to lower for you squat what angle would you say your back is at?

The sets toward the end of this vid show about where you should be at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yha2XAc2qu8&feature=related

Last edited:

Latest posts