What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wanna get back into weights - advice please

abpanther

Staff member
Okay peeps I need a little advice.

I only have time in my routine to do 4 leg exercises per week.

3 of them are set, I do squats (every workout), calf raises and machine curls.

The 4th exercise is where I'm undecided. I started off doing lunges, found them incredibly frustrating and began developing pain in my left quad, seems the stretching motion may have torn something but everytime I tried to do them the pain was pretty bad so I stopped. I've since been doing machine extensions to hit my quads.

Anyway I'm now wondering whether I should do leg press as my 4th exercise?

So basically I've got squats, calf raises, machine curls and machine extensions or leg press?

Which do you think is better to complete this leg work out?

Thanks

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Are you already deadlifting as part of your routine? Deads hit your hammies and glutes pretty hard, though people tend to count them as part of their back routine.

Edit- lol, beat me to it.

OK then, front squats. Will smash your quads and work a bunch of other muscles while you're at it.

Last edited:

abpanther

Staff member
Are you already deadlifting as part of your routine? Deads hit your hammies and glutes pretty hard, though people tend to count them as part of their back routine.

Yeah dude. I'm doing 5x5 stronglifts so doing squats every workout and deadlifts every second, just like you said I consider them a back workout.

I've got calf raises for my calves and curls for my hammies, I guess I'm just looking for the best quad exercise to compliment these and squats/deadlifts.

dogslife

Coach
I do deadlifts on leg day. But if you've only got time for 4 exercises, then Squats/Leg Press/Calf raises and either of leg extension/curl is a good mix

Joker's Wild

Coach
I'd go leg press

Leg presses are useless for anyone other than people rehabing an injury or if you have major lower back issues.

You will get 10x the benefit by doing squats of any variation

abpanther, try doing romanian/straight leg deadlifts if you want to hit your hammies or like SM suggested front squats to work your quads

abpanther

Staff member
Leg presses are useless for anyone other than people rehabing an injury or if you have major lower back issues.

You will get 10x the benefit by doing squats of any variation

abpanther, try doing romanian/straight leg deadlifts if you want to hit your hammies or like SM suggested front squats to work your quads

Really? Gee I thought leg presses were useful for increasing the size of your thighs.

I'm not looking to hit my hammies as I've got them covered with the leg curls, was more looking for something to hit my quads.

I guess I could look at front squats but TBH I'm stretched for time, not sure I could squeeze it in with normal squats as well.

I think I'm more confused now...

Thomas

First Grade
Leg presses aren't useless. They are a decent isolation exercise and allow you to hit a larger ROM with heavier weights. Doing them on their own is useless but they are good in tandem with squats.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Leg presses aren't useless. They are a decent isolation exercise

Debatable whether you actually need/should be isolating muscles that much though, at least as a novice trainer.

and allow you to hit a larger ROM with heavier weights. Doing them on their own is useless but they are good in tandem with squats.

Allowing heavier weights in itself doesn't do anything apart from increase potential for injury IMO. And you should be squatting with a good ROM anyway.

dogslife

Coach
They're not an isolation exercise either, they target a lot of the same muscle groups as regular squats, and are a piece of piss to do drop sets on, which is why I do them

abpanther

Staff member
I have a question regarding shoulders.

I am currently doing military press seating with an olympic bar, just wondering what everyone else does?

I've been told it's better to do it standing but I've found in the past I arch my back too much, just wondering what everyone else thinks?

Or is clean and press better?

Joker's Wild

Coach
I have a question regarding shoulders.

I am currently doing military press seating with an olympic bar, just wondering what everyone else does?

I've been told it's better to do it standing but I've found in the past I arch my back too much, just wondering what everyone else thinks?

Or is clean and press better?

Standing is better as it forces you to control the bar and your core more

Single sided/alternating dumbbell presses are good. Lateral raises too

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Standing with bar here. Forces you to use a lot more muscles in your back/core at the same time which is beneficial overall.