What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WARL 2020 Vision and Strategic Plan

Perth Red

Post Whore
The interesting bits!

Introduction
The Western Australian Rugby League (WARL) has outlined a cultural and business vision, designed to
promote the game of Rugby League in Western Australia through to the year 2020.
This plan takes into account the changing economic environment, specific local challenges and the
opportunities afforded to the WARL to represent the interests of rugby league in WA.
The strategic planning process provided the opportunity to refocus and develop a professional and
profitable organisation built upon a solid base. This base focuses on two key areas:
• A Cultural Vision: to provide insight into the philosophy of the organisation and provide guidance on the
cultural expectations of all stakeholders within the WARL; and,
• A Business Vision: to outline the basis of a visionary organisation that is both professional and profitable,
leaving a legacy on which the future of rugby league in WA can be built upon.​
Western Australian Rugby League Cultural Vision​
Our Core Purpose​
To inspire and enrich the lives of Western Australians through the great game of Rugby League.​
Our Core Values​
We will conduct our business with the following core values:
1. Leadership
Our leaders build a reputation based on honesty, integrity, respect and transparent actions to benefit the
growth of the game.
2. Unity
As representatives of the Rugby League community, we move together in unison to achieve progressively
better outcomes with strength and conviction.
3. Community
We develop and provide socially responsible initiatives for the benefit of the community.
4. Innovation
We challenge the boundaries, and redefine the standards of sport, through innovation, creativity,
decisive implementation and good governance.​
Our Big Goal​
By 2020, Western Australian Rugby League and it’s brand is in the top five most recognised and respected
sporting brands in Australia.​
Our Vivid Description​
By 2020, WARL has community participation at every level equivalent to the leading AFL team brand with:
• Participation of 10,000 senior and junior players;
• An SG Ball Premiership team;
• The capacity and support to host a State of Origin or a National Team representative match in WA;
• Our own competitive State of Origin team;
• A successful, profitable self-sustaining competitive community integrated NRL team with secured funding
of $300 million dollars to establish a purpose built training facility and Licensed Premises and Clubrooms;
and,​
• Developed self sustainable regional hubs in the North West, Mid West and South West.

Strategic Priority 2: Networks & Alliances​
Objective​
To engage strategic networks and alliances that will assist the WARL to reach the 2020 Vision.​
Strategic Initiatives​
2.1 Appoint a Bid Manager and support team to manage the process for the establishment of a WA
based national NRL team.
2.1.1 Conduct Market Research to determine the WA NRL team name and branding.
2.1.2 Develop a Marketing and Communications Plan that facilitates the development of Rugby
League.
2.1.3 Create a Membership Strategy that focuses on strategies to embrace the Mining Sector.
2.1.4 Develop a PR Strategy that includes social and electronic media, to build brand recognition.
2.1.5 Develop a Sponsorship Strategy to maximise business investment.
2.2 Select a Charity to be supported by the WARL.
2.3 Formulate the Government Relations & Lobbying Strategy.​
2.4 Develop a Strategic Communications Plan to continue building strong links to all stakeholders.

Strategic Priority 6: Physical Capital​
Objective​
Develop a world class, state-of-the-art, sporting and training facility with an adjoining licensed facility.​
Strategic Initiatives​
6.1. Secure adequate infrastructure for a home ground for the Western Australian Rugby League with a
state-of-the-art WARL training facility and licensed club house for the national NRL team.
6.2. Develop and Equipment Refresh Policy to ensure the use of technological and physiological
advancements in achieving a state-of-the-art team training facility.​

Perth Red

Post Whore
Media release:

The WA Rugby League has taken a huge step in its campaign for a team in an expanded National Rugby League with the release of its plan to take the game into the next decade.
The 2020 vision and strategic plan sets the league up for a national franchise in Perth for the first time since the demise of the Western Reds in 1997 during the Super League war.
The WARL plan has been more than two years in the making and incorporates a future NRL side and the local competition running hand in hand.
WARL chairman Richard Campbell is confident they are ready to win a new franchise, that they can guarantee the game's future and not leave the "vacuous hole" that was a legacy of the Reds.
"WA Rugby league has been planning for a long time and we are on track to deliver our bid when the Australian Rugby League Commission make any announcement," he said.
"The model we propose stacks up extremely well and looks after the code the way stakeholders want it. We must guarantee the future for all and not just the elite."

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/sport/13909557/warl-ready-to-deliver-heavy-hit/

Perth Red

Post Whore
What is realistic imo:
The capacity and support to host a State of Origin or a National Team representative match in WA;
Developed self sustainable regional hubs in the North West, Mid West and South West.

what would be more realistic:
Participation of 5-7,000 senior and junior players;
A regular play off SG ball team
WA to maintain its hold on the affiliated states championship and have a larger NRL respresentative (maybe even tip its hand in with NSw or Q'land when it comes to SOO with Vic doing the same for the other state?)
WARL new HQ, training facilities and community stadium at Curtin Uni

but can't knock them for ambition! A lot will depend on how much the ARLC is willing to invest in the game in WA.

Nicolas Hart

Juniors
[/LEFT]

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] Don?t think this is very realistic, however hypothetically after yesterday?s announcement of the West Coast Pirates name change I would like to see a possible SOO team of WA use the Reds as there face.

Thoughts?

I love that idea.

I just want WA to keep the 'Reds' brand as part of its heritage and identity in some way.... So if we use it for Origin only; that would certainly make it a special feature of our state I think.... so I love the idea....

flamin

Juniors
I think WARL should aimeing to get a seat on the commision like QRL and NSWRL instead of being refered to as part of the "Affilated States".
Yes that should be an obvious goal, and for the VRL as well.

A VIC v WA game would be a fairly good contest for years to come I would think?

adamkungl

Immortal
VRL v WARL would be possible. I don't think it's realistic to expect the format of NSW v QLD SOO to change though.

W.Smith

Juniors
i would love to one day see an Origin seerries featuring WA and Vic but thats a looooooooooooooong way away i think

the ARL should be propogating the game amongst the lesser states though and Origin would be the perfect platform for it and a Vic v WA fixture should be a curtain raiser to NSW v QLD Origin matches at least once per year rather than having the usual NSW Cops v Qld Cops as was scheduled for Game 2 a couple weeks ago

send the Cops out to Kogarah like they had to this year because of the wet conditions so they only had the one curtain raiser before Origin 2

how stoked would the Vic and WA players be to play and then sit in the players area to watch the Origin live

i remember years ago my old man taking me to the SCG to watch a Test match and seeing a NT team playing a curtain raiser and thinking how cool that would be

Last edited:

Latest posts