What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warne v Waugh

Incorrect

Coach
No he wouldn't, I bowled him twice in an indoor cricket game about two years ago.
You sure it was him? They probably all look alike to you.... :p

Which reminds me of a (true) story I heard years ago about a young Aussie couple who were holidaying in Europe, I think it might have been Italy... anyways, this young Aussie bloke is wearing an an Australian 1 Day cricket shirt I think, or some sort of fairly visible Australian cricket gear and this lady comes up to them and says, "Oh I see you're from Australia judging by that cricket shirt/hat you're wearing"

They go on to have a little chat and as they part ways she says, "My son actually played for New South Wales" and when she walks away, the bloke says, "See ya Mrs Chee Quee".... His missus naturally says to him, "How do you know her name?"....

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Steve Waugh was one of my favourites, if not my favourite, as was Warne.

The fued, if you want to call it that, has been going on for a while but has been made public since Warne has been in the commentary box and always in the papers and TV after his playing career. Bit laughable really.

But typical Steve Waugh, letting it go to keeper, not really interested in swinging back, calm and cool.

He was a pretty good captain. Was he better than Taylor or the others? He was certainly up there. Taylor was good too. as was Ponting.

Waugh was captain in a good era of Australian cricket, we won 16 tests in a row, we had some of the best players in the team.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Guess who has a new book coming out, playing the same old tune as he does when commentating?

Have a look at the last paragraph, I respect Tugger so much more for trying to get Warne into line

And Warne says he doesn't have a trouble being dropped if not performing,LOL friggin hypercrite !!!

www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/24856300/felt-totally-let-dropped-me

Shane Warne has reheated his old feud with Steve Waugh by revealing in a new book that he felt "totally let down" by Australia's then captain when dropped from the playing XI in the fourth Test against West Indies in 1999. He also described his former Australia captain as "the most selfish player I ever played with, and was only worried about averaging 50".

Heading to the Caribbean, Waugh had just been appointed Test captain with Warne as vice-captain, and Australia had started the series by bowling out West Indies for 51 to win the first Test by 312 runs. However, Brian Lara made two of the finest centuries of his career, 213 in the second Test and 153 not out in the third, as West Indies stormed back. The home side were leading 2-1 heading into the final Test in Antigua, and Warne's returns in the first three Tests were a poor two wickets at 134.00.

'Baggy green worship made me want to puke' - Warne

"All that worship of the baggy green - some of the guys went with it, like Lang [Justin Langer], Haydos [Matthew Hayden] and Gilly [Adam Gilchrist], but it wasn't for me," Warne wrote. "They loved it but, to be honest, they made me want to puke with it half the time. I mean, wearing it at Wimbledon! Who wears a green cricket cap to Wimbledon? It was just embarrassing! Mark Waugh felt the same. I don't need a baggy green to prove what playing for Australia means to me or to the people who watch us."

In an extract from his book published in The Times, Warne describes the selection meeting before the final Test.

"I was vice-captain and bowling pretty ordinary and Tugga [Waugh] opened the selection meeting between the two of us and Geoff Marsh, the coach, by saying, 'Warney, I don't think you should play this next Test.'

"Silence. 'Er, right,' I said. 'Why?' 'I don't think you're bowling very well, mate.' 'Yes... fair call,' I admitted. 'My shoulder [after surgery] is taking longer than I thought but it's close now. The feel is slowly coming back and then the rhythm will come, mate. I'm not worried.'"

Marsh agreed with Warne but Waugh stuck to his guns, which led to an impasse. Allan Border, a selector at the time who was was off duty but there in Antigua, was asked for his views. Warne writes that Border supported him, saying: "Jesus Christ, I back Warney every time. The situation is made for him. Anyway, we owe him. Think of what he's done for Australian cricket. We need to show faith."

However, Warne wrote that Waugh once again asserted his authority as captain: "No, I appreciate your thoughts, AB, but Warney's not playing. I'm going with my gut here. Sorry, guys."

Australia won the Test to square the series, but Warne felt let down. "Disappointed is not a strong enough word. When the crunch came Tugga didn't support me, and I felt so totally let down by someone who I had supported big time and was also a good friend," Warne wrote, adding that he didn't handle his axing from the team that well. "I conducted myself badly, to be honest. I wasn't that supportive of the team, which I regret.

"Looking back, this was probably a combination of the shoulder issue still eating away at me and the pure anger bubbling inside at Steve's lack of trust. During the first three Tests, at various times some of the bowlers came to me, grumbling about Tugga's captaincy and field placements and stuff. I said I was backing him to the hilt and if they had a problem with the captain they should go see him direct. Perhaps because of this, I was deeply disappointed that he didn't back me in return."

Immediately after the West Indies tour, Australia went to England for the 1999 World Cup, where, after starting slowly, they stormed to the title with both Waugh and Warne playing key roles. However, later in the year, when Australia went to Sri Lanka, Warne writes of another altercation before the second Test. In the first match, Waugh had collided with Jason Gillespie on the field, leaving both men with nasty injuries. However, Waugh was adamant he would play in the second Test, while Warne held the opposite view. "I was being a d******* and looking for a bit of revenge. He hadn't backed me and now I wasn't going to back him," writes Warne of the argument, which he eventually lost when Marsh sided with Waugh.

Warne says he "never found it easy" with Waugh after the West Indies and Sri Lanka tours, even though they had started off as good friends, with Waugh present at Warne's wedding and even almost convincing the legspinner to play club cricket for Bankstown in Sydney, with a view to breaking into the New South Wales team.

"He became a completely different person when he took over as captain... It wasn't that he dropped me. I have no issue about being dropped if I'm not performing; if you don't perform, out you go. But there was more to it than my performances - I think it was jealousy. He started to niggle away, telling me to look at my diet and spend more time on deciding what sort of person I wanted to be in my life, how to conduct myself - that sort of stuff. I said, 'Mate - worry about yourself.'"

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Lol f**kwit totally contradicts himself, great bowler arguably the best ever but a total shit human.

Warne loved AB and Taylor because they let him do as he pleased. Waugh showed he was a great leader by having the balls to drop an all time great.

undertaker

Coach
Saw that article ParraBoy posted here yesterday, but didn't get the time to reply to it.

Can't believe anyone in their right mind will purchase this book. I wonder what is new in this autobiography from the previous ones from him that's going to get people to want fork out money for this book.

And total BS about him now saying he's not bitter over Steve Waugh for being dropped, but rather because Waugh was jealous over him. About what? If Warne isn't going to be honest about this issue, what makes you think he's going to be honest about his recount over other things in this book? After all, he does have a track record in this regard:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricke...-over-john-the-bookmaker-20070122-gdpaqq.html

Also, ROFL about him repeatedly bringing up the baggy green cap incident at Wimbledon. Yes, it might be a bit over the top to many, but I can bet you any money if Mark Taylor or his best mate Clarkey made him do it, he would GLADLY do it with no complaints.

The only positive: at least he had the 'honesty' to admit he was a 'dickhead'

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Oh please. As if no cricket fan is surprised by all this since he keeps repeating it a hundred times, so why have a book to reveal it again? I mean he was on I'm a celebrity going on about it an.

This is getting bloody ridiculous from Warne, just shows you the person he is.

I'll be surprised if Waugh comes out and attacks Warney cause this happened nearly 20 years ago and he's the type to just let it go to the keeper, not literally. I dont think he responded to what Warne said on Im a Celebrity.

As for selfish, well people like him and I Chappell have always regarded him as selfish for reasons I dont know. Even back to 2001 on the Ashes tour when he dropped Slater for Langer and used himself with a torn hamstring instead of using Katich. I remember he copped some flack for that, which is unfortunate cause he scored a very good ton in that test.

Langer didnt hold grudges against Waugh when he was dropped on that tour. I know he wasnt exactly vice captain, but he admits getting dropped made him a better player.

And Langer actually didnt like what Warney said back in 2016, so I dont think his opinion would change now.

PJ

First Grade
From the bit I read first reason Waugh is selfish is that he wanted to drop a bowler coming back from injury, who has just been belted around the park, in a series that they are down 2-1 in.

The hypocrisy is mind numbing, a state that narcissistic tool walks around in.

I dropped fox for the summer cricket largely because he had been signed.

AS someone said earlier, brilliant bowler, low human being.

Eelectrica

Referee
Warne, get over it. Seriously. No way he wins a PR battle against Waugh.
Waugh once again showing what a classy individual he is by taking the high road, letting Warne rant, and not taking the bait.

mozza91

Coach
It’s amazing how Warne’s relationships with teammates deteriorate after they are given the captaincy or vice captaincy over him.

The irony of him calling someone me is selfish is mind blowing.