What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warner out of New Zealand ODI series

Bazal

Post Whore
His style suits Australian conditions, that's no up for debate IMO, but he has shown such as the test against NZ in Hobart that he can tough it out if need be. Too often he just throws it away.

Sehwag is probably his closest world wide comparison, and Sehwag had similar issues in regards to batting in certain away conditions. Averaged under 30 in England, South Africa and NZ.

Sometime certain styles don't suit different oppositions/conditions. Just the way it goes, and it's part of what makes the game fun (test cricket especially).

Pretty much spot on. You pick a bloke like Warner because of what he can do at his best. Plenty criticised him during his poor run of form, and I had a crack at him too, but honestly you have to expect that from him. Some players are just better when they look to score. Whilst I don't necessarily like the way he plays as an opener all the time, we are a better side with a firing Warner at the top.

With all that said, I just don't understand why he feels that "looking to score" means "trying to smack it into row 53". That Hobart innings was still a positive innings, but he waited until he was in and he waited for bad balls while rotating the strike. If he just went back into that mindset of a positive but still reasonably cautious player, rather than trying to bully everyone, he'd be an awesome player.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Sorry, my mistake, Kane is super against the minnows.

Something you claim NZ to be - until it suits your endless need to use nz as the measuring stick whenever anyone in the aussie team gets criticised or questioned.

I'm sure Williamson's record is responsible for Warner's failings somehow, but i just haven't made the connection that makes it relevant yet.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Something you claim NZ to be - until it suits your endless need to use nz as the measuring stick whenever anyone in the aussie team gets criticised or questioned.

I'm sure Williamson's record is responsible for Warner's failings somehow, but i just haven't made the connection that makes it relevant yet.
JJ makes a habit of putting shit on australian cricketers. That's our job not his

I'd suggest that he find an easier target because we have been the dominant force in the game for well over a century. Even at our low periods like now.

I'd also suggest kiwis worry about their own team before offering advice on how bad our players are.

Or is it just a one way street where the likes of JJ can criticise aussie players but we can't have a go back at precious Kane and co?

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Lol at putting it all on JJ. You're as bad as each other.

Not sure why i need to worry about the kiwi team, i don't have a lot of control over it and their failures and achievements have nothing to do with me or alter my ability to have an opinion.

Hell, if i had to wait for the Warriors to be successful to have an opinion my post count would still be under 1k.

JJ

Immortal
A lot goes over your head, hey?

Or have you forgotten your response to similar stats regarding Bradmanson and his record against quality Test nations....?
do you understand what "similar" means?

Bazal

Post Whore
do you understand what "similar" means?

No you're absolutely right, Bradmanson averaging low to mid thirties against all the top test playing nations (bar Australia and our roads, obviously) is in no way similar to Warner averaging low thirties away from home....lol

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
No you're absolutely right, Bradmanson averaging low to mid thirties against all the top test playing nations (bar Australia and our roads, obviously) is in no way similar to Warner averaging low thirties away from home....lol

Mid twenties.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
38.54 is mid twenties?

Why not? At every opportunity you guys remove these stats and those stats to make Williamson's average go down. Against the majority of test playing nations his away from home average is the mid twenties.

Or is it just that one way street thing again you were using as justification in your previous argument?

See, I can be just as douche and nonsensical as you and JJ.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
See, I can be just as douche and nonsensical as you and JJ.
But a lot more regularly.
Why not? At every opportunity you guys remove these stats and those stats to make Williamson's average go down. Against the majority of test playing nations his away from home average is the mid twenties.
I wasn't aware you are precious Kane's protector. As I said before, it seems ok for you to have your opinion on warner but no one is allowed to express their opinion on precious Kane - obviously the one way street is private access only.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Again, you do realise that your Kane protector comment (in your case Warner) and accusing people of not letting anyone else have an opinion is EXACTLY what you do day in and day out?

Any debate about Smith, Warner, Williamson is completely irrelevant and stupid at this point in time seeing as all 3 of them are at most only halfway through their careers. Everyone has a bad series here and there, and all it takes is one bad series for your average in that country to dip or look bad.

Warner averages 13 in NZ, but he's only had 3 innings. Anyone could tell he's better than that and if he had 2-3 series I'd expect his average to significantly rise. In fact, aside from England/South Africa he's probably only had 1 series in any other country so it's very hard to judge regardless.

On the flip side, there's a lot more to Williamson's record than just scratching the surface of stats to suit your argument, not that you'd ever acknowledge that or give him credit.

By all means though, keep throwing around labels like Kane protector and deflecting all blame onto other posters for the state most of these threads end up in if you wish. I'm sure somewhere those sort of labels somehow negate people's arguments.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Again, you do realise that your Kane protector comment (in your case Warner) and accusing people of not letting anyone else have an opinion is EXACTLY what you do day in and day out?

Any debate about Smith, Warner, Williamson is completely irrelevant and stupid at this point in time seeing as all 3 of them are at most only halfway through their careers. Everyone has a bad series here and there, and all it takes is one bad series for your average in that country to dip or look bad.

Warner averages 13 in NZ, but he's only had 3 innings. Anyone could tell he's better than that and if he had 2-3 series I'd expect his average to significantly rise. In fact, aside from England/South Africa he's probably only had 1 series in any other country so it's very hard to judge regardless.

On the flip side, there's a lot more to Williamson's record than just scratching the surface of stats to suit your argument, not that you'd ever acknowledge that or give him credit.

By all means though, keep throwing around labels like Kane protector and deflecting all blame onto other posters for the state most of these threads end up in if you wish. I'm sure somewhere those sort of labels somehow negate people's arguments.
I was wrong, its not Kane that is the precious one.

JJ

Immortal
Williamson has scored a century in every test nation except RSA - Warner hasn't... Williamson makes mistakes so does Warner - Warner also shows no situational awareness, and refuses to adjust his game when conditions suit. He's opening in India, if he just blasts away he might get lucky, but again it would show a lack of awareness of what's required in conditions outside of bouncy fast Australian like wickets

Anyway, the responses are pretty funny - Warner's 'gee he's special' 'great situational player' LMAO nonsense is questioned, and the response is "what about Kane?" Sure, what about Kane, what about Kohli, what about Amla, what about Smith, what about Root, what about AB, what about Cook - who the f**k cares, start a thread on Williamson when he rests from a series, or start one now about AB if you like...

Many of us just aren't buying the Warner love - if you think he's a modern Greenidge, or better than Sutcliffe (the Pom) or Hutton, or Ponsford then more power to you - but I am not sure how bagging Williamson makes Warner better...

Pretty selective shit tbh - I've said numerous times how I think Hazelwood is a tremendous bowler, Starc too, and potentially Cummins and Pattinson. But I guess I missed the part where I had to uncritically accept that every member of the Australian team is just a wonderful cricketer or all time great - it's ok to bag Lyon, Wade,, Maxwell, Watson, Quiney Maddinson etc - but don't ever suggest Davey's not a legend...ffs

Latest posts