What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors ISP Cup 2017

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Will try and catch a bit of them now that I hear Manly are sniffing around to see how they go

I'd say if we are very keen on them, we will have a decent chance to get them, considering we are playing 1 million under the cap this season and Myles is moving on

Cold Roses

Juniors
http://www.warriors.kiwi/news/2017/05/30/_teams_santo_s_makes.html

INTRUST SUPER PREMIERSHIP

VODAFONE WARRIORS v NEWCASTLE

Cessnock Sports Ground, Cessnock

4.45pm, Saturday, June 3

VODAFONE WARRIORS

1 ZAC SANTO

2 CHARNZE NICOLL-KLOKSTAD

3 JUNIOR PAUGA

4 SEMISI FOTU

22 PAULOS LATU

6 MAFOA’AEATA HINGANO

7 MASON LINO (c)

8 TOAFOFOA SIPLEY

9 SAM COOK

10 LIGI SAO

11 OFAHIKI OGDEN

12 ISAIAH PAPALI’I

13 JAMES BELL

Interchange:

14 JAZZ TEVAGA

15 PATRICK SIPLEY

16 CHARLIE GUBB

17 CHRIS SATAE

COACH | RICKY HENRY

Cold Roses

Juniors
New signing Zac Santo will debut for the Vodafone Warriors in Saturday’s 13th-round Intrust Super Premiership match against Newcastle at Cessnock Sports Ground (4.45pm kick-off local time; 6.45pm NZT).

The 24-year-old Townsville-born ex-North Queensland and Canberra utility arrived at Mount Smart Stadium today after his contract was officially registered yesterday.

He comes straight into fullback for the Vodafone Warriors’ road trip to the Hunter region as the Ricky Henry-coached side seeks a third straight win after beating Wentworthville 20-18 and North Sydney 18-10 in the last two rounds.

Also rejoining the side is wing Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad on the back of an impressive run of four appearances for the NRL team after debuting against the Sydney Roosters on April 30.

Toafofoa Sipley is named to start in the front row alongside Ligi Sao with Sam Cook, who started at fullback on Saturday, back at hooker again.

Sipley was outstanding in his 49 minutes on the field against the Bears, producing eight searching carries for 93 metres, a bulldozing try, when he carried defenders with him, and a team-high 34 tackles without a miss.

In a solid, grinding performance, 18-year-old NRL rookie Isaiah Papali’i was another standout, playing the full 80 minutes, making 120 metres and 26 tackles.

Competition leader Wyong (21) and the Vodafone Warriors (20) – both with just one loss each – have a break on the rest of the field with the Mounties third on 15.

While the ISP side will chase its 10th win of the season, the Vodafone Warriors’ NYC team will be after a repeat win following its breakthrough success against Brisbane. After 11 straight losses, the juniors were outstanding in dismissing the Broncos 36-20.

They benefited from a sound completion rate (79 per cent) and plenty of willing workers with centre Melino Fineanganofo and wing Gibson Popoalii both gaining more than 160 metres, Chris Sio 175 metres (and 34 tackles) and Eiden Ackland 43 tackles. There was quality all-round from standoff Chanel Harris-Tavita with two tries - the first a wonderful effort - and six goals from six attempts for 20 points plus 11 metres and three line breaks.

Parramatta presents a tough assignment, running sixth in the competition.

Last edited:
Was going to head to game, but had a daughter start temps middle of last night and vomiting this morning.

No local promotion around here in small local paper. Really disappointing for rugby league mad area, Cessnock Goannas and Kurri Bulldogs covered ever week in it.

Cold Roses

Juniors
http://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2017/06/03/knights_warriors_sha.html

A try by second rower Isaiah Papali’i and pressure conversion from skipper Mason Lino in the 76th minute has seen the New Zealand Warriors ‘get out of jail’ for an 18-all draw with the Newcastle Knights in a scrappy NSW Intrust Super Premiership match at Cessnock Sports Ground this evening.

In a match that did not reach any great heights, the Knights were more than a match for the visitors in an error-riddled contest.

After a tight start, successive penalties to the Knights in the seventh minute saw a left side spread find centre Brendan Elliott, who then beat his man on the outside to score the game’s first try. Trent Hodkinson converted to give Newcastle a 6-nil lead.

As the error rate started to climb in the middle of the first half, the Warriors worked into field position from successive sets off a penalty and a Knights turnover.

From that field position, a short ball from hooker Nathaniel Roache found interchange forward Jazz Tevaga who crashed over near the posts. Mason Lino converted to lock the game up at six points apiece.

The mounting error rate combined with slow play the balls and a skinny 10 metres continued to bog the match down at the back end of the first half until the Warriors got back to back penalties six minutes out form half time to again set up field position.

From there, a left side spread through the hands found stand in winger Sam Cook who dived over spectacularly to score in the corner. Lino converted from touch to give the Warriors a 12-6 lead.

Newcastle had one last chance late in the half when winger Tom Cronan dropped a pass on his flank with a try on to leave the Warriors with their six point lead at the break.

The Knights overcame the loss of opposite winger Tom Hughes with concussion in the first set of six tackles of the second half to work their way into position from a penalty and repeat set.

At the end of the repeat set a Hodkinson switch to the left sent second rower Braden Robson over to score his first try five minutes into the second half. Hodkinson added the extras to again level the scores at 12-all.

Both sides then again came up with errors as the match became an arm wrestle into the second half – with Warriors makeshift centre Ofahiki Ogden held up in goal and Knights centre Jacob Gagan penalised for being offside from a Will Pearsall stab kick the best chances for points to no avail.

The turning point appeared to come in the 61st minute when a massive hit on Tevaga on half way saw the Warriors interchange forward lose the ball and Hodkinson pick up the crumbs and dash 40 metres up the middle of the field.

The former State Of Origin five eighth linked up with Robson on his inside as the Warriors cover defence arrived for the backrower to score his second try near the posts. Hodkinson converted to give the Knights an 18-12 lead.

Such was the force of the hit that Tevaga went to the head bin for concussion and did not return.

Just as the Knights were appearing to score their second big home upset win of the season as the match drew into its’ closing stages, the Warriors had one last repeat set on the back of forcing a Knights line drop out with five minutes left.

At the end of the set, a right side shift found Papali’I who carried two defenders over the line with him to score. Lino converted the pressure conversion from wide out to level the scores for a third time at 18-all – and bring up his 100 points for the season in the ISP.

The Warriors had one last chance in the game’s last gasp with a penalty after the full time bell – but Lino failed to find touch from the penalty kick, and Newcastle centre Eliiott took the tackle to complete the unconvincing draw.

Newcastle have another home game at Cessnock next Saturday against the Newtown Jets at 3pm, while the Warriors have another away game in their next match when they take on the Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles next Sunday at 1pm at Laybutt Fields, Blacktown.

Found a guy who went to the game "Fan In The Stand" asked him for his thoughts so he could put it on his page. Here is his thought

Big shout out to fellow Warriors supporter Josh Sargison who went along to watch the boys at Cessnock Sports Ground yesterday and cheer along. Managed to get his thoughts on the game. Have a squize. Thanks again Josh. U da man brother

After the disappointing performance on Friday, I needed a footy fix, what better way to cure disappointment more footy? The ISP boys were playing locally so I thought I'd head along to Cessnock. About half hour drive west from Newcastle and the birthplace of the Johns brothers. A typical country town the fans flock to the local footy ground to support their local club. The ground is quite nice, a botique rugby League field very similar to St Mary's in Sydney with the grandstand on the western side and hills on the east and Southern ends and a training ground on the northern side.

As I arrived the curtain raiser between Cessnock Goannas and Lakes Utd had finished with our boys taking to the field so I took my seat up the back noticing coach Ricky Henry and his team in the corner. THE SUMMARY I noticed a few changes, Bunty Afoa was in jersey 18 (looked great in the early stages) and a backline reshuffle with Roache lining up at hooker Sam Cook went to the wing and Ogden at centre with Semisi Fotu and Paulos Latu dropping out respectively. Zac Santo went down early and was subbed out for Jazz with Nicoll Klokstad going to fullback and Pauga to the wing. In the opening stages you could see the desire hard runs and good defence.

But this game was a scrappy affair and a dropped ball by us deep in our half gave the Knights the field position early. A left hand sweep found Brendan Elliot who crossed over easily and was converted by Hodkinson. Being in the first 10 minutes I was thinking "not again". This was repeated again but the Knights were on the receiving this time with Nathaniel Roache providing quick service out of dummy half and a silky short pass to Jazz Tevaga sends him crashing over the line midway through the second half, and easy conversion by Lino locks it up at 6 all. The errors continued to flow and back to back penalties against the Knights piggy backed the warriors deep into Newcastle territory. A beautiful sweep to the left gave hooker turned winger Sam Cook enough space to dive over in the corner and from the sideline Lino converts giving us the lead late in the first half. The Knights had one more chance deep in our half just before the siren but Thomas Cronan dropped the ball with a massive gap in front of him, sending us to the half time break with a 6 point lead.

As I took my seat with some hot chips in hand, the guys had just ran back onto the field. The first set saw immediate concern for Newcastle singer atom Hughes who was down centre field and went off with concussion, play was stopped for about 3 minutes where he was safely removed from the field. With Hughes leaving the field the Knights were firing and Trent Hodkinson lead the way. The captain gained a repeat set and then when on the warriors line switched play against the grain to put Braiden Robson through a small gap to score.

The game continued to swing back and fourth until Jazz Tevaga was hit in a stinging tackle, dropping the ball which was scooped up by Hodkinson running 40 metres and getting good service away to Robson again who ran the last 5 metres to score his second try next to the sticks. The game was looking pretty bleak at this point for the warriors, Chris Satae going down very late in the game, but he got up firing and continued providing aggressive runs and massive hits in defence along with the Sipley brothers, Ogden, Sao and Papali'I swung the momentum for the warriors, on the back of a penalty the warriors found themselves deep in Knights territory and Isaiah Papali'I charged at the line carrying 2 defenders crashing over on the right edge at the death of the game. Lino under pressure converted a difficult goal to lock it at 18 all. It seemed to be all but finished but a Knights penalty for stealing in the play the ball gave the warriors one final shot, taking the risk with a long kick for the sideline the Knights kept the ball alive but Brendan Elliot was wrapped up easily by Pat Sipley.

FINAL SCORE: NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS 18 ELLIOT, ROBSON (2) TRIES HODKINSON (3/3) GOALS VODAFONE WARRIORS 18 TEVAGA, COOK, PAPALI'I TRIES LINO (3/3) GOALS

TALKING POINTS:

The Sipley brothers: They continue to impress week to week, big hits aggressive runs and tough defence, this is what we need in the top grade Tof played the first and final stints and Pat was used during the middle stages.

Chris Satae: After going down injured he came back bigger and better, wasn't afraid to take a hard run or put on a big hit. Great performance.

Lino: Was controlled, cool, calm and collected. Directed the team around the park well

Sao: was hard to stop.

Papali'I: Surprised me how big he was. Had a great game and was very impressed.

Tevaga: How is this guy not playing in the top grade, versatile and tough as nails.

Roache: Proving why he should be playing NRL, provides a lot of pace out of dummy half. Will put pressure on Luke.

Errors: A scrappy affair but the boys showed resilience and hung in there. The Warriors leave the Hunter with their 3rd draw of the year but will continue to hold their second place on the ladder regardless of results over the weekend.
Overall I had a great evening and I really enjoyed it. The ISP team play Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles at H.E Laybutt Fields so if your in the area get on down to the game and give the guys plenty of support.

Thanks again for your efforts Josh in sending me this. Look forward to getting out to Blacktown this week, hope others can make it to

Last edited:

Rich102

Staff member
Great report.

"Lino: Was controlled, cool, calm and collected. Directed the team around the park well"
This is what we are missing in the top team.

Cold Roses

Juniors
http://www.warriors.kiwi/news/2017/06/06/_teams_vatuvei_in_is.html

VODAFONE WARRIORS v BLACKTOWN WORKERS SEA EAGLES

H E Laybutt Sports Field, Blacktown

1.00pm, Sunday, June 11

VODAFONE WARRIORS

1 CHARNZE NICOLL-KLOKSTAD

22 PAULOS LATU

3 JUNIOR PAUGA

4 SEMISI FOTU

5 MANU VATUVEI

6 MAFOA’AEATA HINGANO

7 MASON LINO (c)

8 TOAFOFOA SIPLEY

9 SAM COOK

10 LIGI SAO

11 ISAIAH PAPALI’I

12 OFAHIKI OGDEN

13 JAMES BELL

Interchange:

14 JAZZ TEVAGA

15 CHRIS SATAE

16 CHARLIE GUBB

17 PATRICK SIPLEY

18 DANIEL PALAVI

21 KING VUNIYAYAWA

COACH | RICKY HENRY

Manu Vatuvei is set for his return to the field after being named to line up for the Vodafone Warriors in their Intrust Super Premiership side against the Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles at H E Laybutt Sports Field in Sydney on Sunday (1.00pm kick-off local time; 3.00pm NZT).

The 31-year-old 226-game NRL veteran had been slated for a first-grade comeback against Penrith last month only to be ruled out during the final run on the eve of the game when he picked up a calf injury.

Sidelined for the last four weeks, he rejoins the club's ISP side, running second in the competition after its third draw of the season on Saturday (an 18-18 result against Newcastle).

The side features some other changes as well with 2017 NRL rookie Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad switched to fullback replacing newcomer Zac Santo, who left the field with a rib injury in his club debut last weekend.

Sam Cook, a try scorer on the wing against the Knights, reverts to hooker.

Meanwhile, the Vodafone Junior Warriors will field a rearranged backline alongside a regular starting pack for their NYC match against Gold Coast on Saturday (12.40pm kick-off local time).