What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors ISP Cup 2017

Hey Team

Heres my write up from yesterday. Solid day down the park. Great game but Wyongs defence to good on the day. Have a read. Voice is still dusty today

Another week and another do or die Semi. This week we are rolling on at Leichhardt Oval for this must win Grand Final qualifier. What a great week. Last sunday was a defensive masterclass by the boys. With only 44% possesion, tackling was a must and the Knights threw everything but the kitchen sink and some utencils at the boys. But the brick wall was to solid. In attack we were clinical and structered. We didnt push the pass or over play our hand, but if it was on then Mace and Ata concocted the appropriate play. Some long range tries mixed with good ol backline set moves doubled up with in your face defence made it almost the complete performance. The forwards dominated the middle while the backs scored all the tries.

So an unchanged team on teamlist Tuesday saw us again field probably the strongest Warriors ISP team in their history against the minor premiers Wyong Roos who are the Roosters reserve grade side. Rep players, 1st grade players, Test players everywhere you look on the team sheet we have experiance. So the family joined me this week as we bagged up the lollies and poweraid and cruised off to the inner west of Sydney to Leichhardt Oval.

Ahhhh Leichhardt oval a field covered in history. Great ground in good condition with piss poor facilities and shit parking, but a 30 minute only parking sign has never stopped us so we locked up the car and went inside and parked up behind the Warriors bench. Spoke to Nate who is a part of the Warriors set up and i asked about any late changes. He said Bureta Faraimo was out and Sammy Cook was in. Faraimo apparantly with his contract with Hull for next season had to dash to the US to play a couple of test matches in their build up to the World Cup.

The Warriors have played about 12 or so games here in Aussie this year and basically every game here the ground announcer botches the boys names. Guess what, the announcer again gave a shit rendition of polynesion pronounciations. Anyways we had some late changes. Manaia starts from the bench with big Albie Vete starting. Hes in at lock with James Bell hooker. Sam Cook to centre and Junior Pauga pushes out to the wing. For the Roos, a couple of players with 1st grade experiance plus a couple of kiwis. Johnny Tuivasa Sheck, Jayden Nikorima and late edition Joseph Manu rounding out the kiwi contingent.

Its a nice sunny day here and about 20-22 degrees. Wyong kickoff and i keep saying to myself we have to start fast, cant chase points especially in semi final footy. Warrior Nation members have filled up the seats around us which is always good to see and they have bought the noise. Palavi hits it up for the 1st run of the match, Ofa and Gubby follow and we have a good 1st set gaining 80 metres. Captain Lino kicks well on the last. We have a good defencive set as well. Boys line speed is good for the intial contact but when more that 2 passes we seem to hold back a bit. We trade sets again before wonder kid Joe Manu beats 2 defenders then sells a dummy to go over for the first try of the match. Dam. Just wrote earlier about getting a good start. Cornish converts to give the Roos a 6-0 lead after 4 minutes. We again have to defend for 2 sets straight and the Roos are spinning it side to side and force a goal line drop out. Again the Roos attack and spin it left but Charnze makes a great ball and all tackle on the last stopping a potential try. Awesum defensive read by CNK.

We receive a penalty in our half and start to pressure the Roos, Mace has a great kick and pins the Roos down in their goal line for a drop out. We get another penalty. This time we put on some block plays and angle runners and Vete is tackled 1m out from the try line. Gubby is also tackled close out. Mase kicks again but Roos get it and are safe. We have great line speed again but Vete is pinged for a very very soft shoulder charge that ends up being put on report. Bullshit call. Next set Isaiah Papalii unloads a great ball to Mase to make some needed metres. Ata has a great kick 2m out from the Roos line. Wyong start to use inside ball runners causing out defenders to turn and they make good metres. They attack our edges but mr Experiance Matty Allwood puts great pressure on the ball runner and forces an error. As they pack the scrum our first change sees Manaia Cherrington on and Big Albie off, James Bell goes back to the back row. We attack again and a great cross field bomb by Mase sees JTS (Tuivasa Schek) pluck it out of the air savin a try to Junior.

Roos attack but Sam Cook produces a great 1 on 1 strip to releive the pressure. Next set Ata steps up and beats 2 defenders and uses strength to go over the line but is held up. Mase again with a great last tackle kick forces a Wyong knock on. Our scrum and we have to all out attack. We build momentum with some set plays but the Roos defense is strong. But we get a penalty. More possesion for us and again we are asking some good questions but the defense brings down everything we come up with gets shut down. Junior Pauga gets tackled 2 metres out from the line but stays down and cant get up. Play is delayed for about 5 minutes as he gets it assesed and strapped. He gets up and plays it but is limping really bad. The Roos sees this as an opportunity and when they get the ball they send some runners down Juniors side. He is on 1 leg at the moment but the boys rally around him and cover his tackling duties and happen to force an error. With that the call is made to chuck Tevaga on and Junior off. With this interchange another shuffle has to happen. James Bell is now at centre and Sammy Cook on the wing.

Mace bombs again with great accuracy and the fullback gets it but Mase creamed him early so we get penalised. Off the hook again. Few minutes later Mase bombs again and Roos drop it. We attack heavily but again the Roos scramble and stop every angle runner and set play we put on. Ata kicks for a goal line drop out. Soon after Zac Santo breaks a few tackles and spins it wide to Cook but the pass is behind him and goes out. All these chances we are creating and still no points to show from it. Roos are having a set and Big Ofa Ogden gets penalised for a high tackle. They attack us and their prop Jake Lewis barges over under the posts but drops it over the line. lucky as we were a bit lethargic in that set. Easy metres were made. A couple of sets later the Roos spin it around and Jaydon Nikorima chips and chases and regathers and beats a couple of tackles and dives over for a try when we had most of the momentum. Their defense got them that try. Conversion goes over and we are down 12-0. Just before halftime right in front of us Daniel Palavi gets called for a strip when it was clearly a loose carry. We survive the set on defense just as a loose pass prevents a try. Halftime is called and we need some words from the coaching staff about how we are going to break this Wyong defense.

HALFTIME THOUGHTS

Im worried. This Wyong defense is excellent. They are sliding and scrambling and everytime we put on a play or nearly make a break there is a Wyong jersey there waiting for us. We had all the momentum for about a 15 minute period but couldnt cross for a try. Yet Wyong tackle their backsides off get the ball for 2 sets and score a try. That is heart breaking stuff

Ive never seen a better display of bombing ever except when im on a 8 man kill streak and use my rolling thunder on Black Ops than i have today from Mason Lino. Every bomb has perfect accuracy.

We have been held up over the line a couple of times and there is an old footy saying that goes "a try u save is worth as much as a try u score". With our attack we should of been on the board with at least 2-3 tries.

Junior Pauga is gone for the game. Iced up and resting. (found out later that hes done his MCL. Not that bad, 6-8 weeks if he was playing. But this reshuffle sees James Bell out in the centres and the Roos are sending lots of traffic his way. This has also had an effect on the interchange policy for Coach Henry

Crowd spotting during the game ive seen JWH, Soloman Haumono, Tyran Smith, Jim Dymock, Elijah Taylor and Josh Reynolds. Plus Roosters coach Trent Robinson

We have to start well in the 2nd half. Semi finals footy and ur 12-0 down is tough. But this team is built on that quality and if there is time we will always be a chance.

PLAYERS TO IMPRESS

* Masons kicking game is awesum. The forwards are getting good metres and field position for him to work with.

* Atas first up contact hits are unreal. You can hear it from the sideline. His left foot kick will always be an asset.

* Santo needs to get involved. His gas needs to be utilised.

* Gubby was strong. Played 30 odd minutes in the 1st half. Giving absolutley everything. So much so that he was on bench after he came off vomiting for about 3-4 minutes. possibly from 2 things. 1 = all the lactid acid has built up and he is purely fatigued and just totally spent. Or 2 = he had some dodgy baked beans on toast for breakfast

* Jazz has made an impact since coming on. Busy around the ruck

* CNK and Allwood rolling up the sleeves with hitups helping the forwards out. CNK always sniffing around the ruck for an opportunity.

* James Bell started at hooker went to loose forward then shifted to centre but ended the half on the wing. Giving his all in every position

* Dan Palavi has played the whole 1st half. Top effort for a prop. Ofa and Isaiah toiling away in the middle also playing the whole half

* On the flip side Tof Sipley hasnt got on yet

* For the Roos Centre Joseph Manu is causing carnage out there. Handful to bring down and making good metres

2nd half starts with Mason kicking off and kicking into touch. Great start. Scrum to us and after that Palavi comes off and Tof goes on. Straight away we apply pressure and have runners in motion. Ata makes a half break but gets pulled down from behind. Tof with his first hit up drags tacklers with him and nearly barges over. Roos survive and and have a set of their own. We get the ball back just in our half and Ofa and Isaiah hit it up strongly. Tofs hits it up makes 15m and makes a 1/2 a line break. Mace kicks again and pins the Roos down. They have a set and we defend strongly. Our set is solid and Matty Allwood makes a strong run and pokes his head through the line with some tackle busts. We kick and find touch to cool it down abit. Great start to the 2nd half. The Roos on there set kick out on the full from great pressure from Jazz and Manaia. Our next set we attacking but Cook gets tackled on the last and doesnt get a kick away. Bugger end to the set as our forwards are starting to get dominance in the ruck. Roos are starting to get the ball out to Joseph Manu early in the tackle counts and he is very hard to contain. He makes a line break but we shut it down. However next set they go to Manu again and he fends and pushes his way over for his 2nd try. The Roos are targeting our left side defence with Junior off the field. Boy this Joseph manu is great. Wouldnt be suprised if he is a bolter for the Kiwis in the World Cup. Every footy player named Manu goes awesum. Joseph manu, Manu Vatuvai, Manu Tuilagi, Sika Manu, Manu Aiomanu all champions. Wyong miss the kick and we 16-0 down just over 30 minutes left.

If i was worried at halftime im shitting my self now. Roos defence is solid + we are down by 3 tries = time to put it all on the line. Us Warriors fans behind the bench are starting to fire up as well. Yelling and screaming at every play trying to lift the boys. We recieve a penalty for a Roos shepard play which could of gone dangerous. us fans were yelling at the ref and finally he blew his whistle. We attack from good feild position. Tackle 3 Big Tof gets the ball with nothing really doing so he just chucks the ball under his arm puts his head down and in true Pt Chev style runs it straight and barges over under the posts TRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just what we needed. Mace converts 16-6 down. Couple of minutes later after a good defending set Papalii is penalised on the last tackle grrrrrrrrr. We hold our own again on defence with Bell covering the grubber kick to get possesion back. We ruck it up field and get inside their 20 zone when Jazz gets the ball at first receiver and jimmies across to the right fends off a defender and straightens and barges over next to the posts TRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! another great individual effort this time from Jazz when again notthing really was happening but he made sometthing out of it. Mason converts 16-12 as we go into the last 20. Game On

Us in the crowd are absolutley losing our shit and going completely nutz. We fell we are lifting the team and the team is responding. Atas kick on the final tackle bounces freely and we nearly tackle the fullback Luke Sharpe in goal but he makes a great break and beats some tackles. Killer blow. But 2 tackles later Ofa and Jazz smash the mullet guy from wyong. Cook defuses the bomb and the pressure is off. Next set Jazz makes a great run barging off defenders, next play Tof barges over defenders making 13m. But a forward pass is called against us halting our run. Next set Tof again makes his presence felt in the middle by causing an error then makes 20 more metres with more quality ball running. He has made a huge impact when he has come on for his stints. Him and Jazz off the bench have changed the game for us. Roos get a penalty for a high shot then take a quick tap but Allwood doesnt get back the 10 and makes a tackle and is penalised and given 1o minutes in the sin bin. With only 11 and 1/2 minutes left this could be our season defending with 12 players. Still with our attacking weapons and us dominating the ruck we are a chance.

With both our centres out of the game the Roos start chucking it around more and they attack our left side but great teamwork tackling sees the winger driven into touch. Everyone is getting stuck in now with hitups. Vete goes hard, Isaiah follows, Gubby is next the comeback is brewing. Tof gets a quick play the ball and draws the penalty. We attack with Jazz looking dangerous but he gets whacked by Manu and forces the ball out. We get the ball back and its 4 minutes to go. Ata steps up and twice in the set he nearly breaks the line with some jinking and fending. We now have a scrum 10m out but im usure how as im just yelling and screaming and going shit crazy bezerk as this is just an awesum finish a great semi final. From the scrum Vete bargers over TRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No held up f**k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Next play Ligi runs hard then Isaiah is tackled but gets an offload away and the Roos knock it on. Our scrum 2 minutes to go 20m out season on the line. We put on a couple of plays then swing back left and big Ofa goes hard but is bundled over the touchline by 6 defenders. Ref could of yelled out held but didnt. 25 seconds left for a defensive scrum. We cant force an ewrror and just like that the seasons finished. Its over. The players are stunned. Im stunned eveeryone is stunned.

POST MATCH THOUGHTS

Absolutley shattered. But what a great game to end the season. The comeback was on and just couldnt secure it. Looking back we were held up for a try 4 times in the end i think. If we could of jagged a try in the first half with all the possesion at their tryline i believe we run away with it

Wyong were the best team all year and their defence they showed today proves that. Great scrambling when we put on heaps of plays.

PLAYERS TO IMPRESS

Again the 2 2nd rowers that played the whole 80. Ofa and Isaiah. They do it every week. Make a million tackles between them and have countless hitups. Remember Isaiah is only 18 so his future is going to be huge

Gubby was ruthless. Gave it his all as usual

Masons kicking game again was the difference. Much better than the Roos kickers

CNK was super busy. Always there to take a hitup to relieve the forwards and has a knack of scooting around lazy markers

James Bell is the ultimate team man. Played 4 positions and never shirked the hard work. Not the biggest man physically but has the biggest heart. That type of quality is what you build a club around

My Man of the Match this week is a close one. But id give it to Jazz. He made an instant impact from the bench and didnt come off. Hes always busy and keen to be around the ball all the time. Does a hell of a lot of work around the ruck

Following just behind was Tof Sipley. He also made an immediate impact off the bench and his hitups always made double digit yards. Just my opinion but i though he should of been bought on much earlier but when he did go on it was pure quality. So it was

3 Jazz
2 Tof
1 Mase

Like most weeks Rubin Wiki comes over and thanks all the fans for coming out to support. I hang around abit after the game and cruise onto the field and chat to a couple of the players. Just a great game, congrats on ur season type thing Jazz was absolutely gutted and left everything out on the field. As fans thats all we want. Bust your guts and give
1f4af.png
on every play. We the fans will ride it with u. 1st grade dont do that. Thats why everyone gets the shits with them and thats why fans get drawn to the ISP team cos they might not have the skill set but they got the heart and courage that cant get coached into u. Its all about attitude. As i mentioned in an earlier post these guys play FOR each other not with each other. Big difference. Sam Cook had blood all down the side of his face, Isaiah was physically drained and the emotion had hit Ofa and Tof as the realisation that they had just played their last game for the club. In my opinion these 2 should of been extended months ago not friggen free to look elsewhere. They both pushed through the fatigue factors out there to get the TEAM into a position to win. I highlighted team as thats who the play for. Only a few of the 1st grade forwards id put into that bracket yet they get to stay and these 2 have to leave. Anyways sorry for the rant just still shattered. Thanks to all the fellow warriors supporters that turned up today. It was the usual suspects plus a few more. The Warrior Nation Krew of Pete, Karlos, Rich and Aiona. Ak and the Whanau, Toni and her vocal hubby (was on fire) and their family. Owen, Blair, Paul and all the others

As i jump in the car to navigate the mean streets of Leichhardt to get to KFC in the crossroads im still having a sulk and what makes it worse as i nearly get cut off at a round about in Bexley so the Indian driver copped both middle fingers from me. My Son says we will get em next season aye Dad and Isaiah Papalii (sons favourite player) will get 5 tries. I have to laugh and agree. Next season is ours. We will have some new recruits in the team plus i hope half a dozen of these guys are in 1st grade for round 1 2018. This season for the team has been a huge success. Got a sneaky feeling some of these guys will be on World Cup duty later on in the year but for the others rest up as we got a title to win next season.

Will write up a final review during the week but for the time being a very shattered FAN IN THE STAND FROM Leichhardt Oval OUT!!!!!

Thanks for taking the time to share the write ups throughout the year mate. It's always appreciated. Great work!

Thanks brother
Actually really enjoy it, takes a while but turns out ok.
I think we will have another succesful ISP season in 2018. Couple of new faces but the main weapons will be there

Rich102

Staff member
No sign of our recruitment manager there?

Great report..

There was a short highlight segment before the next NSW cup semi. Just showed 3 Roos tries. That's all.

Club should be complaining.