What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors to be sold?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
f**k me, it’ll be a disaster if he gets his way. The Warriors were set up to give NZ a presence and representation in the game- that includes kiwis of all backgrounds, and I think the Warriors have done a good job of strongly repping both the Maori and PI communities as well as kiwis of other backgrounds. I can see Fale rapidly alienating everyone who isn’t PI or even Tongan with his one eyed obsession about having a PI owned club and his allegations of everybody else being racist. I’d be worried about when he was going to turn on Green, SJ or Mannering.

Last edited:

Blair

Coach
f**k me, it’ll be a distaster if he gets his way. The Warriors were set up to give NZ a presence and representation in the game- that includes kiwis of all backgrounds, and I think the Warriors have done a good job of strongly repping both the Maori and PI communities as well as kiwis of other backgrounds. I can see Fale rapidly alienating everyone who isn’t PI or even Tongan with his one eyed obsession about having a Pai owned club and his allegations of everybody else being racist. I’d be worried about when he was going to turn on Green, SJ or Mannering.

Let's go down this road for a bit...our new jersey would be more red than anything else.

The problem is, like all divisive leadership, plenty of people would buy this. If most of the Tongan WC team turned out as the Warriors, and they had that fanatical support we all loved during last year's tournament, then it'd be hard to argue against.

We could say, 'but this is a NZ club, set up to represent us' but he'd say, 'no we're not, we're a NRL franchise based in NZ, and look at us go!'

I don't know what to think about this sale. So, I'm just taking it week-to-week at the moment.

Last edited:

Rich102

Staff member
This is heartening news.
Autex will bring some business experience to the table as well as a serious involvement with league.
I hope they persuade Doyle to stay on.
No to the hula boys.

"One of the original sponsors of rugby league in New Zealand will be joint owners of the Warriors, alongside the Carlaw Park Heritage Trust.

As revealed by the Herald on Sunday, Eric Watson has agreed to sell the NRL club to the trust, which is effectively an arm of the Auckland Rugby League.

The deal is contingent on documentation being finalised, and still needs to be approved by the NRL, but that is expected to be rubber stamped.

A formal announcement will be made later this week, once financial settlement has taken place.

Now the Herald can reveal that Autex Industries will take a 33 per cent share in the partnership that is being set up to run the club.

It brings a nice sense of symmetry, as the Avondale-based manufacturing group, which has since spread across the globe, were the first major sponsor of league at a national level in this country, when they came on board to back the Kiwis in 1981.

They were aligned with the growth and success of the sport throughout the early to mid-80s, as New Zealand started to beat Australia and Great Britain on a regular basis.

Former Autex CEO David Robinson also played a key role behind the scenes in getting New Zealand players on professional deals in England, with a number going to play for the likes of Hull, Hull Kingston Rovers and Wigan.

Autex is now overseen by his son Mark, and the company has been associated with both the NZRL and the Warriors in sponsorship agreements this decade.

The company will be expected to their business skills to the table, as well as a sense of corporate guardianship."

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=12042387

JJ

Immortal
hmmm - well, I hope George, Smith and Corvo stay on - indifferent about Doyle and Kearney

Lets hope Scurrah and Lowe don't start stinking up the joint again

Blair

Coach
hmmm - well, I hope George, Smith and Corvo stay on - indifferent about Doyle and Kearney

Lets hope Scurrah and Lowe don't start stinking up the joint again

Scurrah always struck me as a scheming opportunist. How long before he worms his way up the hierarchy?

Sadly, Lowie is out of touch, as we know.

Yes, better than the 'Aloha Boys' but still depressing news that these two might be anywhere near the running of the club again.

Rich102

Staff member
The new owners of the Warriors are expected to be announced in the next 24 hours.

The Herald understands the Carlaw Park Heritage Trust and Autex Industries have purchased the Auckland-based NRL club from long-time owner Eric Watson for a cut-price rate of less than $18 million.

Watson was reportedly seeking $24 million for the club from a rival Tongan-US consortium but it's believed he agreed to sell to the trust, which is effectively an arm of the Auckland Rugby League, and Autex, as they made the highest cash offer.

It is understood negotiations initially stalled after Watson left the Carlaw Park Heritage Trust's early offer of $15 million hanging, before Autex stumped up an additional million to help their bid progress, before the two partners and Watson settled on the final figure.

The deal has now gone unconditional after the NRL this week approved the sale, with the last details around financial settlement expected to be finalised today.

Read more: Autex Industries to become joint owners of Warriors

The sale is expected to be formally announced and the Carlaw Park Heritage Trust and Autex Industries unveiled as joint owners of the Warriors at a press conference either later today or tomorrow morning.

Warriors players and club staff and expected to be briefed by the new management before the news is confirmed publicly, ahead of Saturday's home game against Wests Tigers at Mt Smart Stadium.

News of the deal was first reported by the Herald on Sunday, and on Monday it was revealed Autex will take a 33 per cent ownership stake in the partnership to run the Penrose-based franchise with the Carlaw Park Heritage Trust.

The Herald can now reveal the new owners are working to establish a seven-person board consisting of four members from the Carlaw Park Heritage Trust, two members from the Autex, and one independent appointee.

It's expected ARL chair Cameron McGregor, who is also chair of the Carlaw Park Heritage Trust, will fill the same role on the new board in replacing current Warriors executive chair Jim Doyle.

Doyle, former Warriors managing director, is selling his 10 per cent share in the club and will stand down from his role as executive chair.

It's also anticipated that Autex Industries owner Mark Robinson and company managing director Robert Croot will fill the board positions allocated to the Avondale-based manufacturing group.

At this stage it remains unclear who the independent board member will be.

The process of confirming the make-up of the board won't be rushed and a smaller interim board, directed by McGregor and Croot, may be formed to handle matters in the interim.

Warriors coach Stephen Kearney and several players, including former captain Simon Mannering, star halfback Shaun Johnson and senior forward Adam Blair, are due to talk to reporters today at the team's weekly media session this afternoon.

The side currently sits in third spot on the premiership ladder level on 12 competition points with the second-placed Panthers.

They will look to bounce back from last week's 50-10 Anzac Day thrashing at the hands of Melbourne, against Wests Tigers who find themselves in fifth spot after losing 24-22 to Parramatta on Sunday.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=12043478

Skinner

Coach
Very happy to have Autex on Board. They have done so much for League in Auckland over the years. Even though they are not to be a major shareholder, it just me feel better to have them there.

MKEB...

Staff member
As much as I dislike Cam Mcgregor. The slur campaign about him being racist,sold me against Fale.
Cam may be a polarising figure in RL, but a racist he is not.

My biggest worry about the new setup is Graham Lowe. We all seen what happened when him and Tainui took over....for godsake do not let uncle Eric have to be the savior again.

Skinner

Coach
As much as I dislike Cam Mcgregor. The slur campaign about him being racist,sold me against Fale.
Cam may be a polarising figure in RL, but a racist he is not.

My biggest worry about the new setup is Graham Lowe. We all seen what happened when him and Tainui took over....for godsake do not let uncle Eric have to be the savior again.

Cameron may be a lot of things, but he is not racist in any way, shape or form.

Rich102

Staff member
Vodafone Warriors announce ownership change

Vodafone Warriors executive chairman Jim Doyle confirmed today that after working with various interested parties, both within New Zealand and internationally, over the last few months the club has been sold to Carlaw Heritage Trust, and Autex Industries Limited.

The sale sees the Vodafone Warriors become formally integrated into New Zealand’s rugby league landscape.

Founded in 1909 and supported by the assets of Carlaw Heritage Trust, Auckland Rugby League is the governing body and administrator of the game of rugby league across the Auckland region.

It is partnering in the acquisition with Autex, a widely respected New Zealand business with a long history of supporting rugby league.

Autex were a pioneering sponsor of New Zealand’s national rugby league team in the late 1970s and 1980s and have continued to be enthusiastic supporters of rugby league.

Autex have more recently been a jersey sponsor of the Kiwis and are currently the naming sponsor of ‘Autex House’, a residential Auckland property providing home-away-from-home accommodation and life skills to some of the Vodafone Warriors’ most promising young players.

Eric Watson acknowledged the support the club has enjoyed throughout his association and expressed the belief that the ownership change is in the best interests of the club.

“After 17 years I am proud to have played a part in the development of rugby league in New Zealand,” he said.

“The Vodafone Warriors have significant engagement within our sporting, business and social communities.

“The decision to sell was not an easy one and although I will always be a passionate supporter of the club, I believe the time is right to hand the club over to a new owner. “It is particularly pleasing to see the club formally become part of rugby league’s local governing body and administrator. The new owner is certainly passionate about the game and, with the addition of the club, it is now genuinely placed to support and grow rugby league from its grassroots through to what is the pinnacle of the sport’s international club competition.

“I wish the new owners all the best. I also thank and acknowledge Jim and the board for their efforts over recent seasons which is certainly paying dividends as this season unfolds.

“Jim’s commitment and leadership brought operational and financial stability to the club, in particular with preserving as its home Mount Smart Stadium and being actively involved in driving the financial benefits to the club of the NRL’s new club funding model,” said Watson.

The change of ownership brings with it a change of board members with Jim Doyle and all fellow directors other than chief executive Cameron George stepping down and the new owner appointing new directors.

Warrior's members email.

Iafeta

Referee
I personally don’t believe they will meddle with the likes of Smith, George, Kearney.

flippikat

Bench
Jim will be the next NRL CEO?

We can only hope. The NRL needs someone who looks beyond Sydney to the expansion opportunities that are there RIGHT NOW.

As good as it is having expanded NSW & Qld Cups underneath the NRL (and options to promote the strongest State League clubs), Perth and a 2nd Brisbane team are well overdue in the NRL.

We can only hope. The NRL needs someone who looks beyond Sydney to the expansion opportunities that are there RIGHT NOW.

As good as it is having expanded NSW & Qld Cups underneath the NRL (and options to promote the strongest State League clubs), Perth and a 2nd Brisbane team are well overdue in the NRL.
It will be all good till he announces the new CFO Kieran Foran. :)