What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors to be sold?

My understanding is that there's been a chronic underfunding in some areas of the club & that the underfunding is something that is common knowledge amongst other clubs.

Talk of deliberately underspending on the salary cap though are wide of the mark.

Is Paul Davys the right guy for this club? I'm really not sure.

Rich102

Staff member
But wait.
Buy now and you get a second NRL club free.
Just pay the additional $6M handling fee.

Hawkins

Juniors
If someone is willing to pick up the warriors I also have a bridge that I would be willing to sell.

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
My understanding is that there's been a chronic underfunding in some areas of the club & that the underfunding is something that is common knowledge amongst other clubs.

Talk of deliberately underspending on the salary cap though are wide of the mark.

Run away as fast as you can...so many warning bells, inexperience, conflicts & lack of business acumen in that little story its hard to know where to start
Not your story...the self-labeled entrepreneurs one

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal

Is that part of the reason for the repeated numpty coaches?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Run away as fast as you can...so many warning bells, inexperience, conflicts & lack of business acumen in that little story its hard to know where to start
Not your story...the self-labeled entrepreneurs one

I don't see any obvious lack of business acumen, but he doesn't appear to be cashed up on Watson's level either. Is there any idea of his net worth? Seems to me that Jim Doyle probably has more runs on the board as a businessman.

Looking at last year's NBR rich list both Watson and Owen Glenn sit around the bottom of the top 40 with 400M each, neither Davys or Doyle are mentioned. This would put either of them at a net worth less than 50M, a big step down from Watson's cash reserves.

Last edited:

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I don't see any obvious lack of business acumen, but he doesn't appear to be cashed up on Watson's level either. Is there any idea of his net worth? Seems to me that Jim Doyle probably has more runs on the board as a businessman.

Looking at last year's NBR rich list both Watson and Owen Glenn sit around the bottom of the top 40 with 400M each, neither Davys or Doyle are mentioned. This would put either of them at a net worth less than 50M, a big step down from Watson's cash reserves.

If he owns four childcares, and he's a co-partner in them, he's not going to disturb the NBR list. It's good money owning childcares but I'm not even sure the guy (forget his name) whose company owns around 170 centres in NZ is in the top 40. A well run, full centre isn't dragging in more than $1m a year.

I don't know enough about sports ownership to know whether Davys will be successful, nor do I know him. However, simply by being a rugby league person and actually living here, he's got two attributes going for him. Not that anyone buying this rot of a club will bring a silver bullet, but it's got to be a start moving Watson on, his agendas (v Cleary, too close to Scurrah etc) and unwillingness to spend in the most important role, the coach. It's been all downhill since his nonsensicle pronouncement of us being the best sporting franchise in the Southern Hemisphere.

Skinner

Coach
If he owns four childcares, and he's a co-partner in them, he's not going to disturb the NBR list. It's good money owning childcares but I'm not even sure the guy (forget his name) whose company owns around 170 centres in NZ is in the top 40. A well run, full centre isn't dragging in more than $1m a year.

I don't know enough about sports ownership to know whether Davys will be successful, nor do I know him. However, simply by being a rugby league person and actually living here, he's got two attributes going for him. Not that anyone buying this rot of a club will bring a silver bullet, but it's got to be a start moving Watson on, his agendas (v Cleary, too close to Scurrah etc) and unwillingness to spend in the most important role, the coach. It's been all downhill since his nonsensicle pronouncement of us being the best sporting franchise in the Southern Hemisphere.
I can't work out whether his work in coaching grass roots clubs is in his favour or not.....I guess that it really can't hurt anyway. I just wish I knew a little more about him.

Rich102

Staff member
He's had involvement with rugby league - he's way ahead of Watson already.

JJ

Immortal
We had the horns first, and the drummers - surely Robson, Anderson and Scurrah would have had them sponsored, why weren't we printing money - actually I think Robson probably was but spending it faster than he could print it