What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors to be sold?

BLN2

Juniors
Good, guy seemed like a big mouth trying to stir shit. Almost like actor paid by someone to distract the media or something.

Any clues with the under funding mix? Such as Iro in recruitment because we can't afford anyone else?

Blair

Coach
Auckland businessman Paul Davys has abandoned plans to buy the Warriors NRL club after his bid was rejected by current owner Eric Watson.

Davys confirmed he would not be following through with plans to buy the Penrose-based franchise blaming a "confusing process" as the reason why the deal fell through.

His offer of $15 million was last night knocked back by Watson, who was holding out seeking $20 million for the club he has owned in part since 2000.

Both parties signed a non-disclosure and confidentiality agreement and have been going through the due diligence process over the past fortnight.

Davys has expressed his frustration over the way negotiations were handled by Watson, saying he received mixed messages about whether his bid would be accepted.

"I have withdrawn my interest due to a confusing sale process," Davys said in a text message to the Herald.

"I was given every indication that my offer was accepted subject to me completing due diligence which is a normal process when an offer is accepted.

"This week, I find out that the sale is being handled more like a tender. I was advised this week that I needed to complete my due diligence then submit an offer for Eric to consider.

"This to me is back to front and time delaying.

"Regardless of whatever you read or hear, this is what has happened.

"Eric made it known to me last night that he was not happy with my offer which by the way was a good and fair offer that two weeks ago was accepted subject to due diligence which was to take place this week.

"From there my understanding was I needed to meet with the NRL which both Eric and [Warriors managing director] Jim [Doyle] had mentioned would not be an issue, I would meet with sponsors and give them confidence in the direction we had planned to take whilst also hearing their thoughts and basically agree on a date for the sale to go through.

"The fans are wanting to know what direction the club is taking and there is a lot of work to do in a short period of time to get the systems in place that I feel the club needs to be successful and with a sale process of uncertainty I feel it's best I move on and let everyone get on with life.

"To say I'm disappointed is an understatement considering my understanding of where we were at with negotiations and I genuinely believe in the difference I could have made to the club.

"I will make no further comment and wish the club all the best."

The Herald contacted Doyle for comment but he declined, saying all discussions around the club's potential sale remain private and confidential.

Watson remains in talks with several other interested buyers but confirmed in a statement last Friday that he was in no rush to offload the club.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=11909403

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck confirmed he would not be following through with plans to re-sign with the Penrose-based franchise blaming a "confusing process" as the reason why the deal fell through.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Yeah nah, inclined to take Watson's side in this one. Davys ran his mouth way too fast. Also don't mind that Watson isn't desperate to offload the club at the first opportunity.

Izz

Bench
Yeah nah, inclined to take Watson's side in this one. Davys ran his mouth way too fast. Also don't mind that Watson isn't desperate to offload the club at the first opportunity.
Yeah definitely. Still think there's some merit to Rich's theory that Davys was put up to it all by Watson

Iron Lion

Juniors
Your all wrong, he didnt have the $20m and another bidder has muscled him out by $6m. The money is on the table - its just down to if Eric is serious about selling the club now.

Iron Lion

Juniors
There you go, if true watson wont change, money is on the table to buy him out. Just re-positioning the chairs on the deck of the titanic.

TheDMC

Bench
That's a start and a big step forward.
I still think that Doyle and others, are the likely buyer.
Nobody know the value of the club better.
Let's hope he can find the right coach to take over.

Doyle now being chairman and referred to by Watson as a succession move would certainly indicate Doyle is involved in buying the club.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Great business from Doyle, run the joint into the ground then purchase it

Read before Monty Betham is officially in talks with Watson about this fans consortium purchase of the Warriors, I don't know whether to laugh or cry at that

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I genuinely don't know what to think either. How do fan-owned franchises - ie the Packers, Barcelona etc - work? And how do they work if they're shit like us?

I'm not tipping in $100. I have a family who I'd rather take out for lunch than give a red note to a club that's dug itself into a mountain of shit.

Iafeta

Referee
Brilliantly.

But we aren't Green Bay or Barcelona. While we crow about 10k crowds these days, their crowds are enormous. Green Bay have over 100,000 on their season membership waiting list. It's a 30 year wait. Lambeau Field holds around 75-80k, and it's packed every week. The entire metro area is about a quarter that of Auckland. And then Barcelona, well I think their success story is hugely known.

So our merchandise revenues etc are honestly a bees pube the size of those franchises. So the Warriors are in a far different situation financially and support wise. We are at the 2 yard line on 4th and 50 with a bung quarterback who's completion is 10% compared to those guys.

I think the fan idea is an appalling one for this model. The model is Watson and Chairman Mao Doyle will retain a majority share. So they will be a voting bloc. Meaning no matter what the fans representatives put forward, unless it's something Chairman Mao and Eric the Eel wanted anyway and were therefore probably going to do anyway, then it will fail each and every vote at boardroom level. Yet for the honour of this, fans will stump up their hard earned and we get the priveledge of buying overpriced watered down booze and sitting in the bone chilling cold while Chairman Mao drinks aged scotch in a plush corporate box and Eric the Eel sips strawberry dacquiris from the navel of a supermodel on his private yacht.

Sounds like a hell of a deal and I'm glad Montys sticking it to them. He's got the heart of Phar Lap but he's been leading with the chin a bit too much.

Rich102

Staff member
I just can't see any benefit to the club from this crowd-funding scheme.
Eric the eel is the only one who would benefit.

ozbash

Referee
I just can't see any benefit to the club from this crowd-funding scheme.
Eric the eel is the only one who would benefit.

The club would self destruct if it went ahead.
There would be differing factions all over the show..

Warriorsoul

Juniors
I don't disagree with most of what he says, can even potentially see Kearney's plan, but the fact every single player except maybe one or two have gone backwards this year in their personal play is concerning.

And with all due respect to Monty Betham, you should never have been captain, you were only good for idiotic thuggery on the field. I wouldn't pay A dollar into your lunatic scheme, let alone 1000

MKEB...

Staff member
I cant see this happening... All I see is x amount of fans stumping up a hundy and expecting free entry to every home game. Where does the money come from to upgrade the likes of stands/training facilities/players etc...Are they meant to cough up the bucks every time?

Latest posts