What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Was The Twilight Grand Final A Success?

Was The Twilight Grand Final A Success?

• Yes

Votes: 68 77.3%
  • No

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Don't Know Have To Wait And See

Votes: 5 5.7%

• Total voters

JW

Coach
Great for NZ fans. Kickoff at 7 was perfect for me anyway. If it was a 9 or 10 pm kickoff i probably wouldn't have watched it.

And it showed in the ratings too.

For a country of just 4 million with no representation in the Grand Final, that is simply awesome.

Simo

First Grade
Would've preferred it earlier or later.

3pm is great for a barbecue and making a day of it.

7pm is great for a night time gathering at someone's house.

5pm is nothing.

completely disagree. people came over in the NSW cup game. We had a BBQ after toyota cup.

Great day, great timing. 4pm really as the daylight savings thing kicked in that day so its as close to the 3pm kickoff as we will get.

Plus the timeslot works out better for the kiwis as joe said. If they are gonna be in our comp they should be catered for. Also works better for the banana benders who have to work the next day.

Way better than the late timeslot in my opinion.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
i prefer wtaching night games but i'm not fussed whetehr its at 3 or whenever as long as this ridiculous bbq argument is put to death. never knew it was impossible to have a bbq after 3pm until a few years ago....

Johns Magic

Referee
completely disagree. people came over in the NSW cup game. We had a BBQ after toyota cup.

Great day, great timing. 4pm really as the daylight savings thing kicked in that day so its as close to the 3pm kickoff as we will get.

Plus the timeslot works out better for the kiwis as joe said. If they are gonna be in our comp they should be catered for. Also works better for the banana benders who have to work the next day.

Way better than the late timeslot in my opinion.

Well unlike you my friends aren't really into Toyota Cup and NSW Cup I'm afraid.

Johns Magic

Referee
so what would you do at 3pm or 7pm that you cant do at 5pm?

If it's at 7pm it can be treated as a night time event with friends after doing your own thing during the day.

If it's at 3pm it can be treated as a daytime event, and the main part of your day.

If it's at 5pm you have to sit around waiting for another couple of hours for the game to start with nothing to do, or rush from whatever else you decided to do on your Sunday to catch the start of the game. It's not early enough to be the only activity of your day, and not late enough to be convenient.

It's not a huge issue to me, I just think that they should make a decision one way or the other.

Simo

First Grade
If it's at 7pm it can be treated as a night time event with friends after doing your own thing during the day.

If it's at 3pm it can be treated as a daytime event, and the main part of your day.

If it's at 5pm you have to sit around waiting for another couple of hours for the game to start with nothing to do, or rush from whatever else you decided to do on your Sunday to catch the start of the game. It's not early enough to be the only activity of your day, and not late enough to be convenient.

It's not a huge issue to me, I just think that they should make a decision one way or the other.

fair enough, its not up to me to say how people enjoy their GF day but to me the GF IS the day and if anything else is planned it is planned around it.

5pm though is still plenty of time to get back from somewhere else and when you say you have to sit around with nothing to do, what do you do with friends when the footy isnt on??

Each to their own I guess but I found the timing to be good, and with daylight saving I actually think it could be a perfect fit with daytime footy and all audiences covered.

Roosterphin1

Juniors
Its funny all the 15 year old kids like the night GF because its the only thing they know. Us older folk remember when footy was a daytime game and the skill level was much better especially on a fine day.

Day GF for me....craps all over night time

Johns Magic

Referee
fair enough, its not up to me to say how people enjoy their GF day but to me the GF IS the day and if anything else is planned it is planned around it.

5pm though is still plenty of time to get back from somewhere else and when you say you have to sit around with nothing to do, what do you do with friends when the footy isnt on??

Each to their own I guess but I found the timing to be good, and with daylight saving I actually think it could be a perfect fit with daytime footy and all audiences covered.

Don't get me wrong, no matter what time it's on the GF will be my focus of the day. However for a lot of my friends it's more an excuse for a get together than anything else, and the more conveniently timed the better

Ram Man

Juniors
Perfect time frame.
We didnt see players slipping all over the place because of a greasy dewy surface which we have seen on previous night time GF.
Fast, open, footy deserved of a quality playing surface and occasion.
Its a pity the game is played at the biggest $hithole Stadium in the Southern Hemisphere...we need a Suncorp-esq Stadium in Sydney...Suncorp is 100 times better than ANZ as far as I am concerned. (Spectator wise)

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
When full, ANZ sh*ts on everything, provided you're sitting in the lower deck.

Brutus

Referee
Don't get me wrong, no matter what time it's on the GF will be my focus of the day. However for a lot of my friends it's more an excuse for a get together than anything else, and the more conveniently timed the better

Well you probably have union-loving mates so that's hardly surprising. Your biggest day of the year would be the club rugby union final wouldn't it? Would have been plenty of parties for that.

innsaneink

Referee
When full, ANZ sh*ts on everything, provided you're sitting in the lower deck.

It looked great on TV on Sunday, the daylight really highlited the crowd and you got more sense of atmosphere thru the TV.
That said, its sh*t thru the year with comp games.

adamkungl

Immortal
Perfect time. Great day, great night. I was a huge doubter when they announced it, thought it was a crappy compromise that would please no one. Happily egg faced at the moment.

Johns Magic

Referee
Well you probably have union-loving mates so that's hardly surprising. Your biggest day of the year would be the club rugby union final wouldn't it? Would have been plenty of parties for that.

So the NRL grand-final is the biggest day of your year?

Talk about a sad life :lol:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
It looked great on TV on Sunday, the daylight really highlited the crowd and you got more sense of atmosphere thru the TV.
That said, its sh*t thru the year with comp games.

Spot on. They should use it for absolute marquee games involving clubs like Dogs, Souths, Tigers and sometimes Parramatta - then outside that only for Origin, preliminary finals if necessary and the big one.

Tigers can piss off back to their 17 other home grounds, Souths to the SFS and we can play at Parramatta or somewhere else easy to get to.

Brutus

Referee
So the NRL grand-final is the biggest day of your year?

Talk about a sad life :lol:

Was it hard creating an atmosphere for a game where only friends and loved ones were in the crowd? Do you and your mates get woodies on Bledisloe night? Spiro has a term for that I think. The life of a rugger bugger:lol:

coolumsharkie

Referee
I could definately take a twilight GF, starting something through the day and finishing it at nightfall had far more atmosphere than I would have expected.

I think it's a winner, everyone gets their bbq and gets home in time to sleep off the grog monster. Friends can get together and enjoy the experience together without having to worry about work the next day. Pub's can promote the game at their venues because it's Sunday arvo not Sunday night.Young Kids aren't falling asleep at half time and missing this sports big finale'.

In saying that though, the monkeys that run our game will probably put it back to night time. After all, the game really does belong to channel 9.