What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wayne Bennett and future coach talk

Noname36

First Grade
Good.

I know the haters will have a lot to say, but if anyone seriously thinks there's a better realistic option available to us than Bennett moving forward then I'm all ears.

If Bennett stays we have more of a chance of recruiting players because nobody is going to sign for us if we can't tell them who the coach will be. We will have more of a chance of keeping our promising youngsters like Clydesdale, Mamo and Tapine, and pre injury Mullo has been a different player under Wayne and we need him to keep being that player going forward. Also the players love the bloke and the only way we're going to turn things around without them getting any worse is by not screwing the players around more than we already have.

Yeah, we've been woeful this year and will probably get the spoon, but we've had a lot against us and it's one of those years where just nothing has gone our way. If we're still in this position this time next year after we've hopefully made some good forward signings and had stability off the field and in the squad then all the coaching staff starting with Wayne need to go. However I think due to Bennett's history in the game we need to give him the chance to stay on and see if he can get us rolling when things are going smoother. I'm not ready to make him our scapegoat just yet but I know others feel differently.

Zoidberg

First Grade
I want to see him stay also. Yes, this year has been a shambles but prior to that we were on the up.

I just hopes he changes his mind about wrestling coaches.

knightsarmy

Juniors
I'd be happy for Bennett to stay, Hopefully the coaching will get sorted sooner than later so we CAN plan/recruit for the future

Jono078

Referee
Happy for him to stay. But there has to be personnel changes with the playing squad and a different attitude towards tactics.

Roosters did it to easy last night kicking to the corner and then jamming in knowing we'd just do 1-out hitups.

Happy for him to stay. But there has to be personnel changes with the playing squad and a different attitude towards tactics.

Roosters did it to easy last night kicking to the corner and then jamming in knowing we'd just do 1-out hitups.

Maybe. I would argue they are very adept at strangling sides in their own 20 and that is why were using conservative tactics in our own half.

I truly hope Bennett gets to recruit with a decent level of cap space and can bring in the side he wants rather than the side he has in a way had to settle for. I doubt the side we have is his ideal by a long stretch. I just hope we can move Mullo's deal into the long term player allowance bracket in some form. is it 2015 that starts? I looked at the off contracts for next year and we could add some quality depth if we get off our arse and move quickly. If we do Wayne will take us to the top. We lack the quality to make the big plays. We need Tariq Sims as a start cos the guy is quality.

My hope is Wayne will sign a new deal and finish here. Even if only for a couple more years beyond next. If he was walking he would have done it already. Boyd is another story and if anywhere it will be the Titans. He grew up on the GC as a teenager. Makes sense. He wants to move to Qld at some stage. He has said as much in Q and As on the Knights website. We owe Bennett far more than he will ever owe us. The man has literally risked his legacy here IMO. I also have little doubt the man is a big reason why the NRL have been so proactive. Wayne would have demanded action. He knows we have all been let down and this season has been horrendous. Beyond even his control. They listen to him.

As has been said he is not the sort of bloke to walk away from a fight or leave people in the lurch. I am in agreement with No Name 36. We will not find a better coach. Stone is not going to take us anywhere. Good coach. Not going to win a comp though. He cannot attract talent. We would be worse off than Canberra in that respect.

Last edited:

aqua_duck

Coach
If he stays he needs to rethink his approach, tactically he's been terrible this year and he has to cop a fair share of the blame.
I know he's got his tried and tested approach but right now he's an analog player in a digital world.

aqua_duck

Coach
I want to see him stay also. Yes, this year has been a shambles but prior to that we were on the up.

I just hopes he changes his mind about wrestling coaches.

So far he hasn't, players have had to go see a wrestling coach privately for help

Swarzey

Bench
So the emotional toll of an unstable future in on Bennett? f**k me you're clutching at straws for the sake of being negative.

aqua_duck

Coach
worst isn't it?
any issues with the squad are on bennett, he chose it.

2nd worst behind Alan McMahon but he's gaining on him fast. I don't know how people can say this isn't Bennett's team, every bloke there now was signed or re-signed under Bennett's watch

slotmachine

First Grade
the main reason i want bennett gone is so that boyd goes too.

in a perfect world if boyd left and wayne took a 75% pay cut i guess i could handle him sticking around for 2015 to clean up the mess.

as to who would replace him. If you offered $1.4m a year you could have any coach in the game.

Last edited:

Burwood

Bench
It's getting to the stage where the only real benefit Bennett has over a bloke like Stone is his ability to attract players to the club.

I thought the play-it-simple game plan was something that he'd implement the first year and then build upon each year after. Some offloads and second phase play, the occasional set play other than Boyd chiming into the back line. It's his third season here now and nothing has changed- set after set of one out running.

Our whole plan revolves around hoping that the other team loses the game, not that we go out and win it.

Whats Doing

Bench
After 3 years and 2 years out of the 8 and a good contender for the spoon is not good enough. We pay for performances and at $1.5 m per year, the Bennett era has not been good enough. We need to start in a new direction.

There would be a number of modern coaches out there waiting for the opportunity.

Maguire, Robinson were instant successes and nobody would have heard of Brad Arthurs before he was appointed to the Eels and is doing wonders.

We don't need a recycled coach (and that includes Stone) but one who has the modern ideas to take us forward into the future.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
If we employ a good wrestling coach then I say yes. No wrestle = no premiership chance

Whilst wrestling isn't as big a part in the game as it was last year, it would still pay for Bennett to get a wrestling coach. All you have to do is look at a player like Jeremy Smith. He's originally from Melbourne and he has a great ability to delay the play the ball more than any other player in the team. Beau Scott is probably the second best at it and again, he learned his trade at another club.