What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WCC news

Pommy

Coach
why is it in england again??? it should be in australia every other year

Because it's played mid SL season. For it to be played in Oz it would have to be played before the Aussie sides were anywhere near complete in pre season preparations. I'm sure the SL sides would love that prospect but not the NRL sides.

England have been consistently running 3rd in the tourneys. The NZ side sent over there last year was massively understrength

Deny it all you want, it's the facts and Wayne will be pushing shit up hill to change it

It was a stronger side than the one Australia struggled to beat this season.

roughyedspud

Coach
Might as well go back to the two champions and just the one WCC game cos the other games are pointless..

They should have expanded it to top 2 from each comp,whether it be the 4 grand finalists or minor premiers & GF winners from each comp..whatever..

Play two semi finals, ESLwinner v NRLrunner up & NRLwinner v ESLrunner up in week one then a WCC final in week two..

Id hold it in perth..

The Partisan

Might as well go back to the two champions and just the one WCC game cos the other games are pointless..

They should have expanded it to top 2 from each comp,whether it be the 4 grand finalists or minor premiers & GF winners from each comp..whatever..

Play two semi finals, ESLwinner v NRLrunner up & NRLwinner v ESLrunner up in week one then a WCC final in week two..

Id hold it in perth..

Do you actually mean semi finals ? As in loser drops out ?

Could have the two NRL or ESL teams playing for the WCC Crown if so ?

Personally I'd like to see the NRL Premiers v ESL Premiers with the ARL State Champions (Qld Cup v NSW Cup winner) taking on the 2nd tier premiers in England as a double header.

Pommy

Coach
I wouldn't say they are pointless it helps NRL teams sell their brand in what should be the NRLs second biggest market.
Premier league sides seem to think playing games around the world is meaningful and that's against teams like Sydney FC where the divide in quality is much wider than NRL to ESL.

roughyedspud

Coach
If they wanna build their brand then they should pay...the last two 3v3 wcc games have cost the ESL teams $500,000 each,per game,to host the NRL team

roughyedspud

Coach
We host it cos australia doesn't want too..theres no way aussie clubs would shell out the money to host a super league club..im sure i read that it cost wigan half a million quid to go down under to play the roosters!

Huddersfield ducked out of playing in it cos they could jusitfy paying the NRL club £300,000..thats why the 2nd & 3rd uk teams will always be wigan,warrington,st helens,hull fc or leeds cos they could make money on the game.

jim_57

Staff member
I wouldn't mind one day seeing every country with a pro club represented, provided that pro club is no lower than 2nd division. Sort of like a World Challenge Cup. Would want a few things before it is looked at though

• NZ2 NRL side
  • Fiji NSW Cup Side
  • Welsh team promoted to Championship
  • Toronto in Championship or higher
  • Toulouse challenging Catalans as France's best club.
  • Talked about US Pro comp getting underway.

Then you could have some sort of short/sharp tournament with the best clubs from:
Australia
NZ
PNG
Fiji
England
France
Wales
Canada
USA

Just an idea.

WireMan

Bench
We host it cos australia doesn't want too..theres no way aussie clubs would shell out the money to host a super league club..im sure i read that it cost wigan half a million quid to go down under to play the roosters!

Huddersfield ducked out of playing in it cos they could jusitfy paying the NRL club £300,000..thats why the 2nd & 3rd uk teams will always be wigan,warrington,st helens,hull fc or leeds cos they could make money on the game.
Huddersfield never qualified for the game anyway.

WireMan

Bench
So do the SL teams make money on it or not?
If it's not profitable then why bother?
Promote the club.

It could be in Australia next year. Warrington will do there warm weather training in Australia if it is. We will see though.

WireMan

Bench
They won the LLS and would have been one of the teams if they were willing to stump up the cash.

Ah I see, I was thinking the first year it was expanded and wire played saints etc.

Lack of foresight by the giants. Small time plans not competing.

Latest posts