What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WCC news

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I don't think there should be a tournament until there are more pro leagues to enter. A potential replay of grand finalists weeks later cheapens the victory.

Realistically i don't think it would ever be held post season. I don't have an issue with a February tournament provided it is treated and marketed properly. We had 30k+ turn up at Moore Park a few years ago on the back of very little mainstream marketing so imo there is an appetite for the WCC and for competitive footy in February.

As for waiting for more pro leagues, that could be an eternity in the making or perhaps never. Best case could be a co-tournament held at the same time as the WCC, between domestic champions of 2nd tier leagues. I would like to see a formal european champions league style comp. come about at some stage to give ambitious clubs something to strive for.

Hoofhearted

Juniors
Theres a fan appetite but little club appetite from the NRL
Interesting how no clubs want to travel to Warrington to avoid interrupting their preparations, yet the Tigers and Dragons just announced they are planning a game in Hawaii in February. Here's a solution, why don't one of those teams play Warrington in Hawaii and promote Rugby League instead of just the NRL

roughyedspud

Coach
NRL clubs have a history of "announcing" to play in loads of places and it never happening....

Manly have been taking a game to china for years lol

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rug...al-qualifying-tournament-20161015-gs3a8f.html

London calling?
2. An interesting proposal from within an NRL club to revitalise the World Club Series fell off the back of a truck outsideSet of Six Towers over the weekend. Rather than playing the second-placed Super League team from the previous year, the NRL runners-up would travel to England to play the NRL premiers in a season-opening spectacular at a major London venue such as Wembley Stadium.

Not only that, the match would be a double-header with a round-four Super League game in which the previous year's grand finalists would meet for the first time since.

Positives: exposing Super League to London-based antipodean expats, bringing a crowd from the north, creating a new occasion. Negatives: detracting from the actual WCC, the NRL being currently hidden away on Premier Sports and lead-in time required seemingly being beyond the current NRL administration.

roughyedspud

Coach
Another mystery mascord piece..

I swear to god only this morning i was gonna write,in the GB thread in the international section, thats its been a while since he brainfarted the GB V WALLIBIES crosscode game at wembley idea that "un named officals" propose...

Hes obviously re hashed HIS idea

roughyedspud

Coach

adamkungl

Immortal
Haha, long winded article just to get to his crackpot idea of teams playing in competitions 26 hour flight away.

roughyedspud

Coach
Hes the kellyanne conway of RL media..just runs his mouth,spouting all kinds of nonsense hoping that one of the things he says is true..

adamkungl

Immortal
Hes the kellyanne conway of RL media..just runs his mouth,spouting all kinds of nonsense hoping that one of the things he says is true..

Heart in the right place, on of the few RL journos in it for RL, travels to all sorts of weird places to watch obscure games of footy. Give him some credit.

But he's an ideas man, and some of his ideas are rambling insanity - most prominently the idea of SL teams playing in NRL or vice versa.

langpark

First Grade
He's by far my favourite RL journo. But he does need to stop, breath, and wait about 24 hours before he writes some of the ideas that pop into his head. Perfect example, when he flipped out because England got the 2021 World Cup, only to take it back the next day and agree that it was indeed the most sensible decision. He's great value though, and I hope he does not change his style!

roughyedspud

Coach
Thats my point..its our job to come up with stupid ideas lol..hes the worlds foremost RL journo..i guess thats my issue with him,he doesn't exploit his position to instigate ideas,and when he does its completely up the wrong path..like the GB thing

Last edited:

Tigers1986

Juniors
If this series ends 2-0 as heavily expected then you must wonder if it serves any purpose at all anymore. The gulf between the leagues is widening and it's a waste of money, time and resources for our sides to fly over each February for a waste of a game where they'd get more out of an opposed training session at home.