What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WCQ: Australia v Iraq

Misanthrope

Staff member
Iran and South Korea through from Group B. Uzbekistan to play either Jordan and Oman in a play-off.

Feel for the Uzbekistanis. A huge 5-1 win over Qatar and they still have to play-off despite South Korea being limp noodles.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Perhaps they could have scored more points than South Korea then?

They ended up level but slightly behind on goal difference. South Korea haven't looked their usual selves this round, but did knock off the Uzbeks a few rounds back.

I was just rooting for Uzbekistan since they'd be a World Cup debutant. South Korea are my second team in international football, so glad to see them through.

And against class defenders he becomes useless, when i say striker im talking about a Viduka type finisher, do we have coming through the ranks U15s, 17s 19s Olyroos.... Anything

Like whats happened with Taylor Tombides,Danning,Amini,Ryan Williams,Irvine. Who were all touted as the future.

Against class defenders most strikers become useless. Our strikers are fairly ok in Cahill, Kennedy and Archie thompson. The youth won't be ready for brazil anyway. Add Bresciano and Holman attacking from midfield plus Kruse and Oar attacking from wide and i think our attack is fairly good.

I'm more concerned about our defence as players such as Ognenovski and Matt McKay will really be shown up against the stronger teams. Wilshire also needs to lift his game.

Last edited:

Big Sam

First Grade
What an enthralling night. Credit to Iraq - they were difficult to break down and offered a few nervy moments.

Holger finally proved that he's not entirely incompetent with the introductions of Rogic and Kennedy.

And gee Tommy Oar's got a bright future ahead of him (we all knew that but it was nice to get a live reminder). Just needs to refine his crosses and the sky's the limit.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I'm more concerned about our defence as players such as Ognenovski and Matt McKay will really be shown up against the stronger teams. Wilshire also needs to lift his game.

Hopefully we can get Adama Traore his citizenship before then :lol: McKay is not a left back. He's not even a back. His greatest strengths are wasted there.

Hopefully by the time it's time to name a squad, somebody in the A-League has really put their hand up.

Oar needs to play in the middle. His crossing was awful but when he was taking players on and providing passes to others, he was a class above.

BDR

First Grade
Hopefully we can get Adama Traore his citizenship before then :lol: McKay is not a left back. He's not even a back. His greatest strengths are wasted there.

Hopefully by the time it's time to name a squad, somebody in the A-League has really put their hand up.

Adama Traore will never be eligible for Australia. See Arteta and England.

Michael Zullo should be there, and frankly we should piss Wilkshere off too if he's going to carry on with that hoofball shit. Euphoria of qualifying aside, we have many problems to solve and not many games to work on solutions.

BDR

First Grade
Oar needs to play in the middle. His crossing was awful but when he was taking players on and providing passes to others, he was a class above.

Utrecht play 4-4-2 diamond and Tommy plays LM, that is his natural position and gives him playmaking space.

That formation doesn't really play to our strengths, we don't have the fullbacks or centre-forwards to make that formation work. I also don't see Tommy beating out Trollman or Rogic to play CM, so I'm afraid he's LW or nothing for the time being

BDR

First Grade
Also BTW, Oar is known as one of the better crossers in the Eredivisie, and he has even shown that at times for the Socceroos (see the pinpoint ball onto Archie's bonce to seal it in Doha). Lost the plot in the past two games though.