What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WCQ: Japan v Australia

Big Sam

First Grade
Japan v Socceroos
Saitama Stadium, Saitama, Japan
Tuesday 4 June 2013
Kick-Off 7.30pm (local time), 8.30pm (AEST).

TV: Live 8.30pm (AEST) Fox Sports, Delayed 9.30pm (AEST) SBS.

Kennedy, Ognenovski return for Socceroos

Thursday, 23 May 2013 12:01 PM

Qantas Socceroos head coach Holger Osieck has named a 26-player squad for the upcoming 2014 FIFA World Cup Asian Qualifiers against Japan (4 June – Saitama), Jordan (11 June – Melbourne) and Iraq (18 June – Sydney).

Qantas Socceroos captain Lucas Neill returns to the squad after missing the last match against Oman through suspension. Also returning to the Qantas Socceroos squad after various periods of absence are Josh Kennedy, Sasa Ognenovski, and Mitchell Langerak.

Osieck has also included seven (7) Hyundai A-League players in Ivan Franjic (Brisbane Roar), Eugene Galekovic (Adelaide United), Mark Milligan (Melbourne Victory), Jade North (Brisbane Roar), Archie Thompson (Melbourne Victory), Michael Thwaite (Perth Glory) and Dario Vidosic (Adelaide United) who receives his first call-up under Osieck.

The Qantas Socceroos are currently in third position of Group B and need positive results from their remaining three matches to secure a top two place in the group to guarantee automatic qualification for the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil.

The upcoming 2014 FIFA World Cup Asian Qualifier between the Qantas Socceroos and Japan, Jordan and Iraq will be broadcast exclusively live on FOX SPORTS with SBS TV as the exclusive free to air broadcaster for all three (3) matches.

Tickets for the Qantas Socceroos matches against Jordan and Iraq are available for purchase from www.footballaustralia.com.au/tickets

Qantas Socceroos Squad – 2014 FIFA World Cup Asian Qualifiers – June 2013

NAME CLUB A-International Caps (goals)
Mark BRESCIANO, Al Gharafa, QATAR - 66 (12)
Alex BROSQUE, Al-Ain Club, UAE - 21 (5)
Tim CAHILL, New York Red Bulls, USA - 61 (27)
Robert CORNTHWAITE, Chunnam Dragons, KOREA REPUBLIC - 7 (3)
Ivan FRANJIC, Brisbane Roar FC, AUSTRALIA - 3 (0)
Eugene GALEKOVIC, Adelaide United FC, AUSTRALIA - 6 (0)
James HOLLAND, FK Austria Vienna, AUSTRIA - 10 (0)
Brett HOLMAN, Aston Villa FC, ENGLAND - 59 (9)
Mile JEDINAK, Crystal Palace FC, ENGLAND - 38 (3)
Josh KENNEDY, Nagoya Grampus, JAPAN - 30 (15)
Robbie KRUSE, Fortuna Dusseldorf, GERMANY - 23 (2)
Mitchell LANGERAK (gk), B.V. Borussia 09 Dortmund, GERMANY
Ryan McGOWAN, Shandong Luneng Taishan FC, CHINA PR - 3 (0)
Matthew McKAY, Changchun Yatai FC, CHINA PR - 35 (1)
Mark MILLIGAN, Melbourne Victory FC, AUSTRALIA - 19 (2)
Lucas NEILL, uncontracted - 89 (0)
Jade NORTH, Brisbane Roar FC, AUSTRALIA - 39 (0)
Tommy OAR, FC Utrecht, NETHERLANDS - 7 (0)
Sasa OGNENOVSKI, Umm Salal SC, QATAR - 18 (1)
Tom ROGIC, Celtic FC, SCOTLAND - 4 (0)
Mark SCHWARZER (gk), Fulham FC, ENGLAND - 105 (0)
Archie THOMPSON, Melbourne Victory FC, AUSTRALIA - 47 (28)
Michael THWAITE, Perth Glory FC, AUSTRALIA - 11 (0)
Dario VIDOSIC, Adelaide United FC, AUSTRALIA - 14 (1)
Luke WILKSHIRE, FK Dinamo Moscow, RUSSIA - 75 (8)
Michael ZULLO, FC Utrecht, NETHERLANDS - 10 (0)
As at 23 May 2013

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/news-display/Kennedy-Ognenovski-return-for-Socceroos/67819

Misanthrope

Staff member
I would be more excited about that squad if I felt there was any chance the likes of Vidosic, Oar, Rogic, Zullo, Kruse, and McGowan were actually going to get any game time.

BDR

First Grade
Not the worst squad I guess, would have been good to see some of the overseas-based defenders there though. If he picks the right team the goals are there, but knowing Holger he will play 5-4-1 then blame the younger players when we lose.

Last edited by a moderator:

BDR

First Grade
I missed the thread in the game day section. Lock, merge, delete etc. if you want to mods.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I would literally not feel remotely bad if Holger Osieck passed away tomorrow. The man is a merkin.

BDR

First Grade
Keep looking at the defensive players picked, I just don't see a cohesive defense coming out of that. He will probably pick Neill and Ognenovski who will get murdered for pace especially against Japan.

A dream attacking formation would be:

Kruse - Cahill - Oar
- Rogic -

But I imagine he will probably pick Holman and Brosque

Vidosic couldn't hit the side of a barn with a golf ball ffs

Oar, Rogic and Kruse should be playing though. What's the Japan squad look like? There's some serious talent there, we'll have to put in a performance emulating the character of 2006 to get a result over there.

There are far too many players in shit leagues from the Middle East and China. No intensity, no improvement just cruising through a pay cheque. That has hit the team hard too.

I would literally not feel remotely bad if Holger Osieck passed away tomorrow. The man is a merkin.

Talk about a massive overreaction :lol:

Last edited:

Misanthrope

Staff member
Talk about a massive overreaction

Not really a reaction at all. I'm not going to do anything. If anything, not caring if he dies is the absence of a reaction.

Big Sam

First Grade
There are far too many players in shit leagues from the Middle East and China. No intensity, no improvement just cruising through a pay cheque. That has hit the team hard too.

Earlier in the week you said they were still a better option than the kids.

They are, for the short term which was the point you missed entirely. Doesn't mean they are as good as they were. When we had our best ever team in 2006 all but about two were playing in top flight European leagues on a regularl basis, mostly in the EPL. Now we have players in shit leagues and some of our young ones barely playing besides Oar and Kruse.

whall15

Coach
Japan's squad
Goalkeepers: Eiji Kawashima (Standard Liege), Shusaku Nishikawa (Sanfrecce Hiroshima), Shuichi Gonda (FC Tokyo).
Defenders: Yuichi Komano (Jubilo Iwata), Yasuyuki Konno (Gamba Osaka), Yuzo Kurihara (Yokohama Marinos), Masahiko Inoha (Jubilo Iwata), Yuto Nagatomo (Inter Milan), Atsuto Uchida (Schalke), Maya Yoshida (Southampton), Hiroki Sakai (Hannover), Gotoku Sakai (Stuttgart).
Midfielders: Yasuhito Endo (Gamba Osaka), Kengo Nakamura (Kawasaki Frontale), Makoto Hasebe (Wolfsburg), Hajime Hosogai (Bayer Leverkusen), Keisuke Honda (CSKA Moscow), Hideto Takahashi (FC Tokyo).
Forwards: Ryoichi Maeda (Jubilo Iwata), Shinji Okazaki (Stuttgart), Mike Havenaar (Vitesse Arnhem), Takashi Inui (Eintracht Frankfurt), Shinji Kagawa (Manchester Utd), Hiroshi Kiyotake (Nuremberg), Masato Kudo (Kashiwa Reysol), Keigo Higashi (FC Tokyo).

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1152910/Japan-names-squad-to-face-Socceroos

We're so f**ked.

BDR

First Grade
Their weakness is in finding goals more than anything, but they have so much class at the back and in midfield they shouldn't have any problems keeping us to nil.

Oseick has made the right noises about being aggressive and having an offensive mind set, Jordan showed that Japan struggle when pressed. Whether or not he genuinely goes for that kind of team remains to be seen. The players also have to be bold and have the courage to execute that game plan. Personally I couldn't care less if we lose 4-0 to Japan, but if we lose by hanging back and playing a meek long ball or counter attacking game I will be pissed.

Misanthrope

Staff member
FM 2013 on sale for 66% off today on Sega's website. Might just take Osieck's job myself :lol:

BDR

First Grade
Knew a guy who has played a handful of A-League games (no longer playing) and was in the FM database. Would always sign himself to Manchester United and get hammered :lol:

BDR

First Grade
Nah. I won't say his name cos I wasn't really friends with him,it was more a friend of a friend

whall15

Coach
Speaking of FM, I just won the Champions League against Spurs with SEVEN MEN.

woff7.png

2vry1ow.png

Big Sam

First Grade
Never really gotten into FM. Downloaded it once on my iPad but was average at it.

Might take up the sale offer Misanthrope mentioned to get the full Desktop experience.

BDR

First Grade
the mobile one is drastically worse than the full version, I haven't played the latest version because it's too much of a time sink and I'm already procrastinating enough :lol: