What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WCQ: Japan v Australia

Big Sam

First Grade
We'll take that.

Gusty gritty performance. f**king Tommy Oar - brilliant.

Play the last 2 with that discipline and focus and we'll be ok.

Mong

Post Whore
After all that it took a penalty to not get all three points.

I'm happy enough with the point. It's more than I was expecting.

Most interesting socceroos game I have seen for a while.

undertaker

Coach
Looking at the table now:

Japan 7 4 2 1 +10 14
Australia 6 1 4 1 0 7
Jordan 6 2 1 3 −6 7
Oman 6 1 3 2 −3 6
Iraq 5 1 2 2 4 −1 5

We will need a draw between Oman vs Iraq in a few hours time. A win to either team will put a lot of pressure on Australia to win their match against Jordan next week.

The way things have been going and Australia's ordinary 2014 WC qualification campaign, looks like we may be battling to get 3rd spot, meaning we will have to qualify the hard way with two home-and-away legs (one vs 3rd place in the other Asian group for a spot to play the 5th highest South American side for the last spot in the World Cup). At the moment, that other 3rd team maybe Iran (shades of 1997 all over again??)

We get 3rd spot and I don't like our chances of making it

Last edited:

Big Sam

First Grade
attachment.php

Remaining games:

Overnight - Oman v Iraq

Next Tuesday - Australia v Jordan, Iraq v Japan

Tuesday 18/6 - Australia v Iraq, Jordan v Oman

Misanthrope

Staff member
Heart-breaking.

I feel pretty confident of our chances from here. Despite our form, we are a better team than any of the other teams in our pool. A point against Japan was a decent effort.

We have two home games against weaker opposition. Anything less than 6 points will be a failure on our part.

BDR

First Grade
It was a clear handball you fool.

that was my live reaction :roll: did you read my next post?

Would have taken 1-1 before the game, now we have to do the business against Jordan and Oman. Really can't believe that we gave that away, would have made life so much easier. It's pretty disgraceful that it's come down to these last two games to be honest.

undertaker

Coach
Best case scenario for Australia:

Oman and Iraq draw (game finishes close to 1am AEST)

Next week:

Australia beats Jordan
Japan beats Iraq

That will 99% assure us of the 2nd WCQ spot in our group (due to better F/A).

Last edited:
Looking at the table now:

Japan 7 4 2 1 +10 14
Australia 6 1 4 1 0 7
Jordan 6 2 1 3 −6 7
Oman 6 1 3 2 −3 6
Iraq 5 1 2 2 4 −1 5

We will need a draw between Oman vs Iraq in a few hours time. A win to either team will put a lot of pressure on Australia to win their match against Jordan next week.

The way things have been going and Australia's ordinary 2014 WC qualification campaign, looks like we may be battling to get 3rd spot, meaning we will have to qualify the hard way with two home-and-away legs (one vs 3rd place in the other Asian group for a spot to play the 5th highest South American side for the last spot in the World Cup). At the moment, that other 3rd team maybe Iran (shades of 1997 all over again??)

We get 3rd spot and I don't like our chances of making it

Battling to get 3rd ?

We have two home games remaining.

If we can't at least make 3rd that'll do me.

With two home games and our superior goal difference we should be favourites for 2nd.

Big Sam

First Grade
Did anyone else go off at the referee for the foul on Vidosic without realising the ball was in the goal?

undertaker

Coach
Funnily enough, Iran are in contention for 3rd spot in the other AFC group an Uruguay in contention for 5th spot in South America. So, if we do end up in 3rd spot in our group, it could be deja vu of 1997/2001/2005 all over again.

undertaker

Coach
Battling to get 3rd ?

We have two home games remaining.

If we can't at least make 3rd that'll do me.

With two home games and our superior goal difference we should be favourites for 2nd.

I see what you're saying, but stranger things have happened in soccer. Like tonight, soccer is one of those games where you can NEVER be 100% sure that you're going to win because you have home ground advantage. Before the start of tonight's game, we would've been extremely lucky just to get a draw and we looked like winning for all money after Oar scored that goal (albeit in flukey circumstances) only to have a freak handball incident occur against us in stoppage time with only a couple of minutes left.

And remember, Jordan did beat us the first time around. They won't be a pushover.

There's no disputing the fact that we are a fraction of the side that we were in the 2010 WCQs. The intensity and consistency hasn't been there so far this qualifying campaign and Australia will have to be on their game next week if the other match in a few hours is a win to either side. If we somehow do qualify for the WC, at the rate we're going, I think we will only be there to make up the numbers and won't progress past the first round.

Last edited:

BDR

First Grade
Watching a draw between Iraq and Oman would ease my fears quite a bit

Last edited: