What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We are the Benchmark

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaintTPP

First Grade
I have heard this phrase used a number of times after we smashed the scum on Saturday...after 8 rounds our guys are the best team both defensivley and offensivley!!! Hopefully we can kep it up and still be there after 26 rounds.

TOP ATTACKING TEAMS

Dragons
Broncos
Storm
Eels
Panthers

TOP DEFENDING TEAMS

Dragons
Roosters
Storm
Cowboys
Bulldogs

Saint 60

Juniors
Aint got anything to say about the post but....

The sharks are sh*t....the team plays like sh*t, the ground smells like sh*t and their supporters...what a pathetic excuse of a fan base!

lol

Southernsaint

Staff member
Well, I think the "benchmark" calls are premature. In fact, I don't think the term "benchmark" is really applicable to Rugby League.

Everyone was sayng Easts were the benchmark in 2002 because they won the Grand Final but they were average for the first half of the competition. Then as defending Champions in 2003, they dominated the competition but couldn't win the decider.

Instead of seeking to be a benchmark, I'd really like Saints to be as consistent as possible & play with 100% application each week. That's what'd make me happy.

Cheers,
Ben S.

Ribs

Bench
Yes, benchmarks in rugby league can be pretty fickle and you are only as good as your last effort.

Id prefer not to have to deal with teams lifting against us that extra bit every week to match the 'benchmark' and measure their season against us.

When I watched Penrith beat the Rorters earlier this year and then watched us capitulate to the Storm I thought we looked like a reserve grade team in comparison to both the Rorters and Penrith. Since then though we have turned it on.

Id also be happy just to see the application each week, and to be honest the loss against the Rorters was the first game in years where Ive walked out of the Stadium a loser and still felt quite satisfied.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Ribs said:
Id also be happy just to see the application each week, and to be honest the loss against the Rorters was the first game in years where Ive walked out of the Stadium a loser and still felt quite satisfied.

I agree totally.

The season is that long that you cannot sustain brilliant form from march to October, you just have to make sure that when you have a down-turn (and everyone has one) it's not in September.

Cheers,
Ben S.

Collateral

Coach
the benchmark for this season is the Panthers performances from last year...IMO that is...all benchmarkers for the next season are the Premiers of the previous season.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Don't you need to beat the benchmark - Roosters - to be the benchmark? If the criteria to becoming the benchmark is losing to the best - Roosters- then we'll have alot of benchmarks come seasons end.

Tommy Smith said:
Don't you need to beat the benchmark - Roosters - to be the benchmark? If the criteria to becoming the benchmark is losing to the best - Roosters- then we'll have alot of benchmarks come seasons end.

Are you Cogburn in disguise?

Southernsaint

Staff member
Tommy Smith said:

The same "best" side that lost the Grand Final?? :roll:

Cheers,
Ben S.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Southernsaint said:
Tommy Smith said:
And you'd know all about that, wouldnt you? :lol: :lol: :lol: What is it, 5 Grand Final losses in a row now? :lol:

Here's to making it 6 this year against the Mighty Roosters :alcho: :alcho: :alcho:

Southernsaint

Staff member
Tommy Smith said:
Southernsaint said:
Tommy Smith said:
And you'd know all about that, wouldnt you? :lol: :lol: :lol: What is it, 5 Grand Final losses in a row now? :lol:

Here's to making it 6 this year against the Mighty Roosters :alcho: :alcho: :alcho:

Four, Tommy. 1999 is a different team.

The Rorters are getting knocked out in the semi's this year anyway, mate, no point in you arguing :p

But between now & then, you know where you can stick your Benchmark :lol:

Cheers,
Ben S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts