What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WE HAVE NO SPEED

BBTB

Juniors
I get the feeling 2018 is going to be a year of debate amongst the for and against nightingale selection camps. When he has scores a bunch it'll be TOLDYA! And when he gets shown up by his lack of speed it'll be TOLDYA! from the other camp.
One thing is for sure, he will not miss a game next year.
Nightingale won't miss a game.
Yeah,he thinks his replacement will be his death knell.
He knows he can't cut it anymore.
But like all the old boys,Hornby,Young,&co.They play on that 2 or 3yrs to long & make asses of themselves..

True_Believer

Juniors
From what I can gather we want speed so we can score more long-distance tries? When I think long distance tries they aren't coming from the wings they come from a break down the middle of the field. Dufty has the pace and the support play to be there and provide this speed.

My only concern in the backs is that we have too many centres and not enough wingers. Nightingale is our only genuine winger. Lafai, Aitken, Macdonald and Mann are all NRL quality but none can successfully transition to winger. Macdonald has been put there for his height advantage but he is much more potent in the centres.

Hopefully, Nene can better adapt to his role as winger with Widdop and Hunt pulling the strings next season.

We actually scored more tries from within our own half than Melbourne did.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
We actually scored more tries from within our own half than Melbourne did.
Makes sense..

Melbourne scored 5 tries against us, 4 were from within our half..

So we must have scored maybe 5 tries from our half all season?

ouryear

Juniors
Martin Offiah was a failure??? That's up there with your 'Mary was a second rower' comment.
You are right, it wasn't offiah, a world class sprinter switched to league and couldn't make it... I will do a bit of research and get his name.

And. I never said Mary was a second rower.....you need to check that mate!

BBTB

Juniors
I thought Nightingale's best games in 2017 were in the fullback role; a highlight being against Manly at Brookvale Oval.

He should be allowed to retire on his own term, and the side in general has more to be worried about that his alleged slowness.
Why should he be allowed to retire on his own terms.
Either he can do his job or not...
This footy team is not a retirement centre...
In his day he did his job played for his country& won a premiership.
But please do us a favour & retire NOW...

BBTB

Juniors
Field is the speedster that is most likely to shred the opposition and Dufty not far behind. In my opinion they both need to be incorporated into the attacking structures In 2018
Field to 5/8 ,Widdop to fullback, Dufty to Nightingales wing.
Give it a go....maybe in the trials.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Well aren’t you just as helpful as a McGregor Coaching Masterclass..

Bench
Nighty has been a great player for the team over a long period of time. In the modern game he just can’t compete to the level of most wingers.
Sad to say that he needs to stand aside and give a younger faster winger a chance. I would hope this happens before round 20.

possm

Coach
We have speed,it's in our young guns and so easy to bring into first grade. During the off-season challenge the young guns to perform and provide them with a personal coach.

The Club should have told Nightingale he was being extended for another year as a mark of respect for the great service he has given our Club in the past. He should have been also told that we will be bringing through our young guns and that he may see some reserve grade in 2018.

Out of the young guns I would like to see Lomax get first crack at the right centre position. Aitken will need to prove himself in reserve grade after spending a great deal of time on the sidelines with injury in 2018.

Mann should be selected at 2 on the left wing. He is quick and showed he has a good understanding with Widdop. Hopefully he will score 20 four pointers in 2018.

Nightingale, Macdonald, Garrick and Herbert can fight it our the the right wing.

Field will be backup fullback and possible be 17 untility off the bench for a few games in 2018.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Why should he be allowed to retire on his own terms.
Either he can do his job or not...
This footy team is not a retirement centre...
In his day he did his job played for his country& won a premiership.
But please do us a favour & retire NOW...

Why?

Because Nightingale is still a first grade standard player, in my opinion.

Latest posts