What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We need a 9.

SBD82

Coach
This is not a thread to bash Rein. I could have posted in a million other threads if that was my intent.

I can't help noticing how important the hooker position has become.

I'm starting to think that the hooker position is becoming the most important role on the field.

The teams that have shown excellent form this year have had the best 9s. Smith led QLD to another series win and I thought he was a key difference between the sides, he also steers the storm around almost flawlessly. Cronulla's hot streak coincided with ennis being in the form of his career, and they have dipped since he was out/underdone. Canberra's hodgson has been huge for them, and the really missed him in the 1st half on the weekend. Titans have improved dramatically since peats joined them. The panthers having Wallace guide them around has been great for their young players.

At the same the bunnies have really struggled without Luke, the dogs have been up and down with lichaa, Granville's form has dropped and so has the cowboys form, and we are an obvious example with reins poor form.

I know there are other factors; the roosters had other issues that affected their form despite their 9 being a very good player, but I think we need to have a very strong focus on recruiting/developing a 9.

SBD82

Coach
We need in order.. Coach first then he can decide on 9, 7 and 1 .
I don't necessarily disagree with you. A new coach is a must.

For the 7, 6 and 1 though, I'd point to the tigers example: they lost the 9 that was holding back the 7, 6 and 1 and all started to flourish (although injuries have now cruelled them).

SBD82

Coach
If we sign Cleary as coach we would get Segyaro and possible other signings as he has got more potential in attracting other players.
Segs might be good. I'm worried he may not be the style of 9 that we need though. I'm thinking of a general. The kind of player that reads the play well and delivers the ball crisply to where it needs to be.

Old Timer

Coach
I totally agree as our coach is clueless and our spine is just about rendered spineless.
Maybe we could become the St GI Cephalopods?
We could have a giant cuttlefish as our new mascot and also emblazoned on our jersey.
That way we could blend in with the opposition, take loads of intercepts and at the appropriate moment change our colour to red and white and streak away for countless tries.
It was great plan until I looked at our lot and remembered cuttlefish are incredibly smart so I have gone back to the St GI Slugs idea.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Maybe we could become the St GI Cephalopods?
We could have a giant cuttlefish as our new mascot and also emblazoned on our jersey.
That way we could blend in with the opposition, take loads of intercepts and at the appropriate moment change our colour to red and white and streak away for countless tries.
It was great plan until I looked at our lot and remembered cuttlefish are incredibly smart so I have gone back to the St GI Slugs idea.
Slugs is more appropriate, and anyway very few of us know how to spell cephalopod.

Zucchini

Juniors
The problem with the current recruitment situation is, do we want anyone who is prepared to be coached by Mary?

Old Timer

Coach
Slugs is more appropriate, and anyway very few of us know how to spell cephalopod.
You have correctly answered the first question in your application for head coach.
Question number 2: Is there anyway you can use Changa's painkilling injection as an excuse for yesterdays result?

Minh

First Grade
Rein is really struggling now, he looks lost at times and stifles the attack. I dont like to pick on the guy either as he tries his guts out.

BrissyRedV

Bench
First and foremost we need a coach. From there with the new coaches input we need a 9 and 7 in that order. The rest of the team is reasonably solid on paper and deserve a chance to perform under an actual first grade coach.

SBD82

Coach
Halfback is the most important position on the field. Hooker is a close second.

1. Coach
2. Halfback
3. Hooker
Totally agree about the coach.

There was a time when I would have agreed without question that the halfback is the most important position on the field. Now I'm not sure. I think having a right side half and a left side half may have changed things.

Latest posts