What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We need a 9.

SBD82

Coach
100% agree . I have been banging on about him for a while . I watched him yesterday and he is a good ball playing hooker with a good passing and kicking game , very fast out of dummy half and seems to have good match awareness
I haven't seen enough of baptsiste to comment on him as a signing, but this is exactly what I'm talking about.

Dannyboy80

Juniors
Reported by josh massoud that we've withdrawn our offer to rein, which means we will definitely be starting 2017 with a new 9 and 7. For me both positions carry equal weight. A 9 touches the ball the most times in any team and is vitally important in the control of the ruck, but no matter how good the service is from a good 9, if he's giving it to a half who's just going to run sideways and trap his outside men, then what's the point. I just want guys who will straighten our attack.

BrissyRedV

Bench
We should approach either Parcell or Korosai from Manly. Both are starting hookers and can both play 80. They don't need both.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
This is not a thread to bash Rein. I could have posted in a million other threads if that was my intent.

I can't help noticing how important the hooker position has become.

I'm starting to think that the hooker position is becoming the most important role on the field.

Bingo. And I've always held the opinion you need a utility on the bench to offer a point of difference in attack in case your starting 9 is off his game or the opposition have nullified him.

There are a few 9's around. Manly can't keep Korasiou and Purcell. What are the nikorima brothers up to? Baptise surely deserves a starting spot. Seggy?I'd even be happy to sign Daniel Mortimer as our back up triangle player. Plenty options out there, but doust moves slower than a wet leaf.

borat

Bench
100% agree . I have been banging on about him for a while . I watched him yesterday and he is a good ball playing hooker with a good passing and kicking game , very fast out of dummy half and seems to have good match awareness

So I have seen all Canberra's games for the last 2 years and have put forward Baptiste a number of times. I wouldn't have him infront of Segeyaro though. The part of Baptiste's game that is lacking, and we would need to consider, is his kicking game is appalling. Not sure what you saw but first half he stuffed two easy kicks, one long over the in goal and another straight to a defender. It's typical of his kicking.

Raiders normally have an unusual line up when Baptiste is on the field, with Hodgson also on the park. Essentially Baptiste never kicks for the Raiders except when Hodgson isn't there.

As long as we have other kickers we can rely on Baptiste would be a good option

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Rein is really struggling now, he looks lost at times and stifles the attack. I dont like to pick on the guy either as he tries his guts out.

Minh like ships we have a reasonable crew (bar a few) but will always end up on the rocks if the rudders broken...and in our case the rudders the Coach ...an influx of some new crew members would help it look nice but as long as the steerings buggered we will still end up running aground...just my honest opinion

Last edited:

drago brelli

Bench
Coster, Marketo and McCrone can play 9 but steal one of the Braileys from Cronulla-Sutherland. Time for some pay back.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Ok, people want an established number 9, but I think Jackson Hastings would be a worthwhile experiment & cheaper than someone like McInnes or Cook. ( also unproven in the NRL) He has a good kicking game which is always a bonus out of dummy half & a very relievable goal kicker. He has shown good vision for a young player & if left to wear the number 9 jersey could be a success like Andrew Johns & Geoff Toovey were at different stages of their careers.

I'm still not convinced about Segeyaro in the NRL.

Reece Robson could be a very good option long term, but needs a few years in lower grades to develop against older players.

Fire away with abuse...

BennyV

Referee
Hastings couldbe a good 9, but its a big risk, and conaidering the instability in the rest of our spine, i dont think its one worth taking for us.

Weve got a decent backup in Havili (if he stays on). Under a decent coach and used properly, theres no reason he cant play a backrow/hooker role. Plus McCrone.

As a first string, theres plenty of options. Tapping up Parcell or Korisau would be first priority. McInness isnt as bad as hes being made out, hes also got a very high ceiling, probably relies on a decent 7 though. Segeyaro not the worst option, but apparently difficult to get on with. Kostjasyn would also be a good thought.

Minh

First Grade
Minh like ships we have a reasonable crew (bar a few) but will always end up on the rocks if the rudders broken...and in our case the rudders the Coach ...an influx of some new crew members would help it look nice but as long as the steerings buggered we will still end up running aground...just my honest opinion
Cleary would be a good option and we would be a good chance of landing Cleary Jr if that were to happen. The coach I was hoping the club would sign the last time was Anthony Griffon, but they ended up going for Mc Gregor.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Cleary would be a good option and we would be a good chance of landing Cleary Jr if that were to happen. The coach I was hoping the club would sign the last time was Anthony Griffon, but they ended up going for Mc Gregor.
Cleary signed an extension to stay with the Panthers until the end of 2019 & has removed the clause about having the opportunity to follow his father if he became coach at another NRL club.

grouch

First Grade
I liked Kierran Moseley when he was in the Penrith U20's and he had an ok debut year in a struggling Titans side in 2015. I think he's being let go by them. He's had some injury and conditioning issues at Gold Coast but could also be worth a punt. (btw Ivan Cleary gave him his NRL debut in 2014 :) ...)

Of course we've left our run late as usual, but there are options out there

BennyV

Referee
I liked Kierran Moseley when he was in the Penrith U20's and he had an ok debut year in a struggling Titans side in 2015. I think he's being let go by them. He's had some injury and conditioning issues at Gold Coast but could also be worth a punt. (btw Ivan Cleary gave him his NRL debut in 2014 :) ...)

Of course we've left our run late as usual, but there are options out there
There are loads of options, off contract and those that could be tapped up.

I didn't mind Mosely, thought he was older but if he's got youth on his side, there's plenty of upside there.

Nu Brown would be another good option.

giboz71

First Grade
I just think a little bit of out of the box thinking with our 7 and 9 wouldn't go astray.

Take the Panthers, who started with a spine of Moylan, Sowie, Wallace and Segeyaro. Pretty good on paper and they were going ok, but Griffin and Gould thought they could do better.

So Sowie and Seggy were shipped off to the UK, they moved their half to hooker, moved their boom backrower to 5/8, and promoted 18 year old Cleary. Completely left field moves which transformed their entire spine, which now have them on the cusp of the semis.

The solution is out there, we just need to be smart enough to find it.

since77

Juniors
[QUOTE="giboz71, post: 11738540, member: 40129"

The solution is out there, we just need to be smart enough to find it.[/QUOTE]

That's the problem.

Latest posts