What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We should have kept forward Nathan Brown

DiegoNT

First Grade
Like i said at the time, we should have kept brown over 1 of the twins.

Doesn't seem so crazy now

alien

Referee
Not to be a blow in, but try somewhere in the area of half that.....which is why we are already working to extend him despite his deal running into next year. If he comes off contract with the deal he is on, we'll struggle to keep him.

well if that's true you got a bargain

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I have my doubts they got him for that cheap. We made a big mistake if we didn't offer him a 2 year contract worth $500,000 per year.

I don't think we did. We chose to be tight with the salary cap because we were still having problems. Whoever is managing our salary cap has done a real shit job of it the last few years. Like absolutely terrible they should be fired.

handyman2190

Bench
I don't know how much he was on at Souths, or how much he is on at Parra, but I reckon he is on at least $600,000 per year at Parra. Getting rid of Clark and Turner might not have been enough, unless we are paying Clark and Turner overs big league! Remember you had to have a squad of 25 players (30 from next year) so you would have to replace Turner and Clark with at least minimum wage players too, and the minimum wage was around $85,000. Minimum wage might be $100,000 starting from next season. I definitely would have loved to keep Brown though but not sure if just getting rid of Turner and Clark would have made that possible.

Some havent a clue with figures of 4 500k a year brown was on 80k with us and was offered 200 to stay parra offered 320k we wouldnt match it and the offer was too good to refuse brown didnt want to leave we pushed him another blunder by us

DiegoNT

First Grade
Some havent a clue with figures of 4 500k a year brown was on 80k with us and was offered 200 to stay parra offered 320k we wouldnt match it and the offer was too good to refuse brown didnt want to leave we pushed him another blunder by us

I think another thing to consider when talking about dollar values, is what an amount of money signifies. I think people assume that a player taking a bigger offer is just all about the extra bucks, but if a club offers you extra money it means they value you more as a player.
So if Brown faced $200k on the table from souths, it means he probably thought souths still saw him as a benchie/depth player. They are still paying him less then the nrl average. Especially with the burgess brothers treated like sons by the owner and being after the same position as them, that offer wouldn't inspire a lot of confidence.

Getting a $320k would have said a few things. That the club sees you as better then average. That a club won't cough up $320k to have you playing nsw cup. Parra also had options open up in the starting side, with paulo gone the middle of last year and beau scott struggling at lock.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade

Do you have inside knowledge of figures? I would love to know what the Burgess twins and AR are on? 500k each and 700k?

Rabbits20

Immortal
Turner and Clark should've gone and then we have enough to keep Brown.

Bazal

Post Whore
well if that's true you got a bargain

Just FYI (sorry again for blow in posting)

The argument is over. Nathan Brown is the buy of the season.

So how much did the lock cost Parramatta? Private Ryan can reveal the Eels only had to pay $170,000 a season for his services.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...y/news-story/2d378308c3ae426e5e0838926f6f2507

Now, I don't believe the deal is that low, or if it is it's very heavily back ended and that's just the first year figure....but yeah, we aren't paying him anything like 600k. f**k we need to re-sign him ASAP, because he'll be worth 500k+ on the open market easy.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I tend to agree with your statement R20. But you also have to remember last year Brown was only an average forward with an extreme temper that cost us quite a few silly penalties.

Whilst I would of liked to keep brown you have to also think of it from Souths POV. If you're the coach/recruitment officer at Souths and you know that your having cap problems because of the return of Sam Burgess. So basically one of the random Souths forwards who is pretty good but not that much better than the average forward asks you for an upgrade you would generally be obliged to say no because you are already trying to squeeze Sam under the cap!

I believe that if Souths had the cap space to fit brown in then they should of, but the last thing we need to do is offload players to give average players more cash. Nobody knew Nathan brown was gonna elevate to the professional he is today. You can't blame turner and co as they would be on minimum wage or close to it. The reality is is that the majority of Souths cap goes to players that are injured or underperforming with the exception of Sam Burgess.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I tend to agree with your statement R20. But you also have to remember last year Brown was only an average forward with an extreme temper that cost us quite a few silly penalties.

Whilst I would of liked to keep brown you have to also think of it from Souths POV. If you're the coach/recruitment officer at Souths and you know that your having cap problems because of the return of Sam Burgess. So basically one of the random Souths forwards who is pretty good but not that much better than the average forward asks you for an upgrade you would generally be obliged to say no because you are already trying to squeeze Sam under the cap!

I believe that if Souths had the cap space to fit brown in then they should of, but the last thing we need to do is offload players to give average players more cash. Nobody knew Nathan brown was gonna elevate to the professional he is today. You can't blame turner and co as they would be on minimum wage or close to it. The reality is is that the majority of Souths cap goes to players that are injured or underperforming with the exception of Sam Burgess.
Alien and I knew what Brown was gonna be. We were saying so last season!!!!! We knew he's a future origin forward!!!!!!

I also don't believe Turner is on the minimum wage. I believe it's 250k he is on which he isn't worth!!!!!!

Bye bye Turner it should've been and offered Brown 300k!!!!!!

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Alien and I knew what Brown was gonna be. We were saying so last season!!!!! We knew he's a future origin forward!!!!!!

I also don't believe Turner is on the minimum wage. I believe it's 250k he is on which he isn't worth!!!!!!

Bye bye Turner it should've been and offered Brown 300k!!!!!!

Well if turner is on more than brown then you're completely right we have made a massive mistake.

I honestly thought brown was a solid but replaceable forward last year. After the form his shown this year I honestly can't believe it's the same player!

DiegoNT

First Grade
If brown was only offered 170k then you'd assume guys like clark and turner would be on around the same.

At the end of the day Brown is a lock/prop, it's the Burgii who are getting his money/place in the team. Losing Brown is one of the costs of keeping Sam.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Didn't Turner sign in 2015 for 2016-17. So Turner's negotiations would have had no bearing on Brown. It wasn't a case of one or the other because they negotiated in different years.

Latest posts