What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We should thank Griffin?

Dazzat

First Grade
Gus Gould has sacked Ivan Cleary as coach of Penrith and appointed Anthony Griffin, giving Griffin credit for laying the foundation for the Broncos run to the grand final this year?

So ... who thinks Wayne Bennett was just building on the platform left by Griffin?

Anyone?

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Uhhh no. Gould is hilariously misguided on this one. Was Adam Blair a Griffin signing? Because without him, we don't get anywhere near the GF.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Griffin deserves some credit for the foundation of players in the team this year. Unfortunately he had proven that he just couldn't get the players to perform for him. He didn't have the people skills that Wayne has. It doesn't matter if you put together a team full of superstars - if you can't motivate them it is all for naught. Pretty sure Blair was a Bennett signing in the off-season but regardless I don't think Griffin would have gotten him out of that slump like Bennett did.

Having said all that, the Panthers could do much worse than Griffin at the moment.

some11

Referee
They will make the eight playing shit footy.

He'll coach the natural talent right out of them.

Big Pete

Referee
To an extent.

Life without Locky was always going to be rough, especially after Hunt, Folau and GI all walked out on the club. Had either stayed, I doubt things would have been as difficult under his reign.

I think Bennett said it best during the earlier rounds. He didn't exactly come home to a rabble, just a club that needed a few things ironed out.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
hey guys can you respond to the LU Broncos player of year thread? I want to get a good representation of the opinions of LU Broncos people.

Regards to Griffin. No we should not thank Griffin at all. I don't agree that Griffin could not get effort out of his players. The players put in effort imo. The biggest problems with Griffin were his team selections and his general acceptance that just being ok was good enough.

I feel sorry for Penrith to be honest. I don't think its the right call.

Dazzat

First Grade
hey guys can you respond to the LU Broncos player of year thread? I want to get a good representation of the opinions of LU Broncos people.

Regards to Griffin. No we should not thank Griffin at all. I don't agree that Griffin could not get effort out of his players. The players put in effort imo. The biggest problems with Griffin were his team selections and his general acceptance that just being ok was good enough.

Agree with this GTB.

The Top 10 Worst Buys of All Time came out on a league site yesterday. Two Griffin selections were in there - Kennedy and Barba. The money the Broncos spent on those two alone for the return given is a crime!

I would throw in Scott Prince as well. I'm a big Scott Prince fan, but its my believe that bringing Prince to the club only stifled Hunt's development by a year and also led to Corey Norman leaving the club (for better or for worse).

Cleary had the challenge of losing his entire spine for most of the year - Moylan, Soward, Wallace and Segearo. A very cruel move by Gould who tried to make himself look compassionate by expressing concern for Cleary's welfare.

Snappy

Coach
Griffin couldn't coach an attacking set play if his life depended on it.

Honestly don't know what the hell they did at training under Griffin, cause they certainly didn't practice attacking or defending.

dasherhalo

Juniors
Cleary had the challenge of losing his entire spine for most of the year - Moylan, Soward, Wallace and Segearo. A very cruel move by Gould who tried to make himself look compassionate by expressing concern for Cleary's welfare.

This. A completely decimated roster. if there was a bottom 8 coach I thought got a free pass for next yeah, it was Cleary.

Gould looks like an idiot citing compassion, 2 minutes after sacking the bloke. He had that speech written weeks ago.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Griffin couldn't coach an attacking set play if his life depended on it.

Honestly don't know what the hell they did at training under Griffin, cause they certainly didn't practice attacking or defending.

Must have been just scramble defence.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade

He reportedly lost the support of key senior players towards the end, and didn't really seem to care. To me that shows he couldn't motivate them and they were just playing for each other.

Agree his team selections were baffling considering his experience with the NYC players that came into the side. Ben Hunt could have easily been lost to another club because Griffin continued to put Prince in ahead of him. What was more baffling was that Griffin would have known and seen Hunt's talent in the under 20's but still decided to recruit Prince, rather than taking a punt and blooding Hunt earlier than he did.

Dazzat

First Grade
It's one thing to develop players from teenagers to under 20s. It's another thing to keep them going once they become first graders.

My recollections of watching the Broncs play under Griffin?

Thoughts of, "How on earth are we going to score with this attack" - watching Ben Barba catch and pass, and backline movements that looked like under 12s.

And of course, non-Bronco like defence that just gave up.

Wondering why certain players playing like busted nobodies being picked week after week.

DeeJ

Bench
Hoffman's frequent selections at fullback or worse yet 5/8th were evidence of Griffin's favoritism which crippled the team. He couldn't make the tough cuts like Bennett.

Nightward

Juniors
Being charitable one could say that Gould is talking about how Griffin was involved in developing Under-20s who went on to become regular first-graders at the Broncos.

Griffin seems to have done well enough in that role but I have my doubts as to whether he'll ever establish himself as a first-grade coach. People are good at different things, and sometimes they're promoted above their level of competence. Perhaps Griffin's just better suited to developing NRL-grade players than he is to coaching them in the NRL.

I kind of get the feeling that Gould has bought Griffin in because he expects Griffin to do what he's told, and he's got a ready-made scapegoat if the Panthers fail to fire this year.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Reading this thread is very scary.

You guys have pretty much nailed the issues happening at Penrith now...

Griffin is as predictable as his coaching. He really doesn't tick any of the boxes; players don't lift for him, he is way too dumb to have a tactical footy mind, he really has no idea how to handle the best talent in his group in structural terms. He clearly has some sort of talent at fostering young up and comers but he is far from a first grade standard. His entire reputation in the top grade at this point is all down to 2011, and people often forget that was all Locky up until his injury.

I have said in the past that I have a soft spot for Penrith for family reasons, and I dearly hope you guys lose him like a bad cold before he completely ruins some of your best potentials like Cleary. It's already begun with Moylan. I mean seriously playing Wallace at Hooker instead of going to the market for a better option? That is lunacy. Say what you want about his form in that position, if you want to win a premiership, step one is shipping off old Petey to Super League.

ashton

Juniors
Hi Broncos supporters
Can some of you guys go onto the Penrith forum page and let us Penrith supports know what your thoughts are on Anthony Griffins coaching ability.
Thanks Ashton

Latest posts