What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Week 7

shiznit

Coach
That’s all true and yet they’ve shown no ability to evaluate the qb position and this current coaching staff have proven themselves completely incapable of knowing how to develop one

Whatever you think of Kiser, and I was big on him myself, they haven’t given him a f**king hope in hell. They’ve completely botched him from the first step

If I’m a top qb prospect, I’d sooner go back to school than take the chances of having a potential career ruined by mismanagement of the Browns

They won’t get out of this mess until they find a legit franchise qb. They had one, they misevaluated him, passed and this is what happens Larry

They’ve got a million picks and they’ll hit some and miss others, but it won’t matter a lick until the qb is sorted and nothing they’ve done suggests they are capable of fixing that
The point is though it wouldn't matter if they hit on a QB if they don’t have the talent around him to succeed.

They need to have the team ready to go... so when they DO hit... it gives the kid the best chance to succeed.

And the best way to do that... is accumulating high picks and building from the draft.

And with the greatest respect to Eagles fans... we don’t seriously know if Wentz is a franchise QB yet...

For where the Browns were at the time... I understand taking that massive haul the Eagles were offering for that pick.

And for the very same reason I think it was also the best move for the Eagles and where they were at the time... I’ve always been of the belief that if you believe in a QB no price is too high to go and get them.

I think for where both teams were at the time I can’t fault either of them...

The Rams on the other hand... they traded up for a kid who the HC quite obviously didn’t want... thankfully for the Rams it looks like McVeigh has resurrected what was looking pretty bad last season...

nick87

Coach
The eagles didn’t have much talent around him last year
Their line was OK, less ok without Lane, Kelce was a disaster and JP had his worst year ever
The weapons were as bad as any team in the league. A shit show up and down the roster, the defence was solid enough but that really doesn’t impact the qb as much as some like to pretend (refer: drew Brees entire career)

It’s a cop out to give them a pass for that. They’ve let a franchise qb slip through their hands, the whole god damn point of stock piling picks is to give yourself a chance to hit on a franchise altering player... y’know guys like Wentz! Haha

nick87

Coach
As for not knowing if he’s a franchise qb yet... I’m not an expert but I have watched every one of his professional snaps, at least twice over, in same cases 3 times

What has been clear all along is that the man can read defences and understands where the ball needs to go. He isn’t faultless, his deep ball needs work, he can’t seem to throw screens for shit, but that’s pretty small fry stuff

His floor is incredibly high because most qbs take 6-7 years to read the game as as well as he does. Even if he had average arm talent, and no mobility that ability gives him a huge advantage

He’s a franchise qb alright. That’s been evident early on in his career. As long as he stays on top of his mechanics, he’s as real as it comes

kurt faulk

Coach
For where the Browns were at the time... I understand taking that massive haul the Eagles were offering for that pick.

but the browns have been doing the same thing over and over since they reentered the nfl. they pass on highly rated qb or trade down then trade back into the first to take a qb who busts for them.

off the top of my head i can think of 3 - brady quinn, weeden and manziel. then most of their draft picks bust, probably because the qb play is so horrible the whole team gets in a funk. then they're in the same spot again. rinse and repeat.

The Rams on the other hand... they traded up for a kid who the HC quite obviously didn’t want... thankfully for the Rams it looks like McVeigh has resurrected what was looking pretty bad last season...

when the rams hit LA they didn't care what fisher wanted, they wanted to build a winning team. fisher had fulfilled his duty, stocking the team with good players but not turning it into a winning record, all the while playing awful offense. much easier to move a losing franchise that has no buzz surrounding it. his one year in LA was a thank you gift from kronke as was his one year extension that everyone knew was never gonna physically happen. retrenchment money.

the way fisher sabotaged goff's rookie season was criminal. snead was observing everything in the offseason and camp. he became the invisible man. no interviews, no being seen with fisher. he distanced himself from fisher because he knew this guy was outta there.

goff entered a horrible situation. a hc that was vindictive towards him as he was butthurt the rams were in future mode. didn't want a bar of coaching him up. rob boras as his oc, weinke as his qb coach. the coaching staff of suck. fisher making goo goo eyes at keenum. disgusting. then he put goff in street clothes for the opening round. he knew exactly what he was doing and how the nfl media would react. from that moment the consensus became goff was a bust. screw fisher.

mcvay hasn't even scratched the surface with goff. rams fans count this as goff's rookie season. he learnt absolutely nothing last season. steady improvement is the goal for him and in the ensuing weeks he has some brutal defenses he has to face. showed some good signs against the seagulls and jags defenses. loved the way he controlled the offense from the line of scrimmage against the cards. the rams have found their answer to the qb question.

shiznit

Coach
The eagles didn’t have much talent around him last year
Their line was OK, less ok without Lane, Kelce was a disaster and JP had his worst year ever
The weapons were as bad as any team in the league. A shit show up and down the roster, the defence was solid enough but that really doesn’t impact the qb as much as some like to pretend (refer: drew Brees entire career)

It’s a cop out to give them a pass for that. They’ve let a franchise qb slip through their hands, the whole god damn point of stock piling picks is to give yourself a chance to hit on a franchise altering player... y’know guys like Wentz! Haha
The Eagles were 7-9 going into that season...

The Browns were 3-13...

There was a HUGE difference between the two teams.

What’s the point of using s high pick in drafting a QB like Wentz when you #1 don’t believe in the kid... #2 even if you did..you have absolutely nothing around him so there’s a high risk of ruining him anyway...

The smart move is to trade down... build a better team through the draft.

shiznit

Coach
As for not knowing if he’s a franchise qb yet... I’m not an expert but I have watched every one of his professional snaps, at least twice over, in same cases 3 times

What has been clear all along is that the man can read defences and understands where the ball needs to go. He isn’t faultless, his deep ball needs work, he can’t seem to throw screens for shit, but that’s pretty small fry stuff

His floor is incredibly high because most qbs take 6-7 years to read the game as as well as he does. Even if he had average arm talent, and no mobility that ability gives him a huge advantage

He’s a franchise qb alright. That’s been evident early on in his career. As long as he stays on top of his mechanics, he’s as real as it comes

Don’t get me wrong... The kid has looked great...

But let’s be f**king real... he hasn’t even played a season and a half...

I don’t think he’s been to Foxboro, Pittsburgh or Mile High...

We don’t know what he is yet,

The sample size is too small at this stage.

Kaep was considered a ‘franchise’ QB after being far more successful in double the games Wentz has played...

And Kaeps out of the league... and he lost his starting job before all the kneeling started.

All the pre-snap play recognition is great for Wentz... and believe me... I see where your coming from... I said exactly the same thing about Carr... as he was altering plays at the line of scrimmage in his rookie year.

But the reality is I don’t think he’s even played half the teams in the league yet.

shiznit

Coach
but the browns have been doing the same thing over and over since they reentered the nfl. they pass on highly rated qb or trade down then trade back into the first to take a qb who busts for them.

off the top of my head i can think of 3 - brady quinn, weeden and manziel. then most of their draft picks bust, probably because the qb play is so horrible the whole team gets in a funk. then they're in the same spot again. rinse and repeat.
The strategy is fine...

They are doing the best they could in the situation they are in.

But they still need to hit in the coming drafts...

when the rams hit LA they didn't care what fisher wanted, they wanted to build a winning team. fisher had fulfilled his duty, stocking the team with good players but not turning it into a winning record, all the while playing awful offense. much easier to move a losing franchise that has no buzz surrounding it. his one year in LA was a thank you gift from kronke as was his one year extension that everyone knew was never gonna physically happen. retrenchment money.

the way fisher sabotaged goff's rookie season was criminal. snead was observing everything in the offseason and camp. he became the invisible man. no interviews, no being seen with fisher. he distanced himself from fisher because he knew this guy was outta there.

goff entered a horrible situation. a hc that was vindictive towards him as he was butthurt the rams were in future mode. didn't want a bar of coaching him up. rob boras as his oc, weinke as his qb coach. the coaching staff of suck. fisher making goo goo eyes at keenum. disgusting. then he put goff in street clothes for the opening round. he knew exactly what he was doing and how the nfl media would react. from that moment the consensus became goff was a bust. screw fisher.

mcvay hasn't even scratched the surface with goff. rams fans count this as goff's rookie season. he learnt absolutely nothing last season. steady improvement is the goal for him and in the ensuing weeks he has some brutal defenses he has to face. showed some good signs against the seagulls and jags defenses. loved the way he controlled the offense from the line of scrimmage against the cards. the rams have found their answer to the qb question

The good old... trade the farm for a QB your head coach doesn’t want... have him languish as the 3rd string for most of the season... then just throw him out to the wolves 3/4’s the way through the season... and then give your HC an extension.... and fire him a week later strategy.

Yeah... I mean I can definitely see why you would be down on the Browns for what they are doing...

kurt faulk

Coach
Yeah... I mean I can definitely see why you would be down on the Browns for what they are doing...

Yes considering the rams are 5 and 2 while the browns are 0 and 7 (after going 1 and 15 last season) on the back of awful qb play. The rams got their qb then went out and got a hc/oc that knew what the hell he's doing. The rams bought their stadium site in 2014. From that moment onwards fisher was just there to make the move for them. Once the move was complete his time was done.

Valheru

Coach
I don’t think he’s been to Foxboro, Pittsburgh or Mile High...

We don’t know what he is yet,

The sample size is too small at this stage.

Well to be fair the Eagles only go to those places once every 8 years....

I agree sample size is small at the moment, a better evaluation can be made at end of next season (possibly end of this season if they go deep in to playoffs) but it is looking good for him.

shiznit

Coach
Well to be fair the Eagles only go to those places once every 8 years....

I agree sample size is small at the moment, a better evaluation can be made at end of next season (possibly end of this season if they go deep in to playoffs) but it is looking good for him.
For sure... I’m not having a dig at him at all...

I just think it’s a little unfair to give the Browns shit at the moment about passing on him when we clearly don’t know how good he is yet.

nick87

Coach
I think its too generous to give the BOTD to a franchise who has been a tyre fire since they got back in the league.

This isnt really about Wentz, he's just the poster child for it. They fundamentally have no idea how to build a team, and clearly less idea about how to develop the QB... they got the #1 over all pick this year and took Garrett, and he looks absolutely god damn incredible. A total stud.
And they're 0-7, including winless in games he's played.

At some point building a team doesnt matter unless you get the QB, no prospect is going to be without risk. Wentz was a risk, so was Goff, and Trubisky, and Cam, and even Luck... no one is flawless. You cant be scared to pull the trigger. They wont have a flawless QB in this years class either.

I dont doubt Wentz wouldnt look good in Cleveland, because he'd have played 3-4 bad games and this idiot f**king franchise would have benched him, then started him, then benched him again at halftime. You wouldn't know if Kizer is good, bad or indifferent because the talent around him is poor and the coaching/development has been criminal

This is a QB league. Wentz is already better than anyone the Browns have had in 20 years. Their front office source said they didnt think he can be a top 20 QB. That evaluation is absolutely 100% wrong. Even if he completely flames out from here, he's already proven that he CAN be a top 20 QB. And sadly for the browns, his upside is that of a potential elite, mvp level qb. Again, its not about Wentz, it's about how badly they evaluate the develop the only position that really matters.

f**k the browns, i spent years liking them and wishing the best for them. Enough. They deserve to be where they are and i dont know why anyone would give them the BOTD.

Paullyboy

Coach
If Wentz went to the Browns, he'd probably be out of the league by now. The Browns kill QB careers, it doesn't matter who it is.

They are the anti-Patriots in that regard.

shiznit

Coach
I think its too generous to give the BOTD to a franchise who has been a tyre fire since they got back in the league.

This isnt really about Wentz, he's just the poster child for it. They fundamentally have no idea how to build a team, and clearly less idea about how to develop the QB... they got the #1 over all pick this year and took Garrett, and he looks absolutely god damn incredible. A total stud.
And they're 0-7, including winless in games he's played.

At some point building a team doesnt matter unless you get the QB, no prospect is going to be without risk. Wentz was a risk, so was Goff, and Trubisky, and Cam, and even Luck... no one is flawless. You cant be scared to pull the trigger. They wont have a flawless QB in this years class either.

I dont doubt Wentz wouldnt look good in Cleveland, because he'd have played 3-4 bad games and this idiot f**king franchise would have benched him, then started him, then benched him again at halftime. You wouldn't know if Kizer is good, bad or indifferent because the talent around him is poor and the coaching/development has been criminal

This is a QB league. Wentz is already better than anyone the Browns have had in 20 years. Their front office source said they didnt think he can be a top 20 QB. That evaluation is absolutely 100% wrong. Even if he completely flames out from here, he's already proven that he CAN be a top 20 QB. And sadly for the browns, his upside is that of a potential elite, mvp level qb. Again, its not about Wentz, it's about how badly they evaluate the develop the only position that really matters.

f**k the browns, i spent years liking them and wishing the best for them. Enough. They deserve to be where they are and i dont know why anyone would give them the BOTD.

You’ve kinda just made my point...

If they are incapable of developing a QB at the time... why keep swinging aimlessly with first rounders.. why not trade your #2 for a swag of other picks.

I think it makes perfect sense to fill one of the other positions of need with the best player available and then take a stab at QB later on.

At least that way they are picking up blue chip talent in other areas and burning less valuable picks on QBs