What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weight loss & cardio advice?

Thomas

First Grade
Initially, the group running on the treadmill for 4-5kms would lose the most weight but unless they switch up their cardio routine, then they'll plateau. That's why you see tubbies that are still able to do half marathons and such. They get to a level of fitness where their body isn't pushed any more.

Someone doing a strength program is going to get stronger incrementally. Let's be honest, the best way to get fit and lose weight is to do a mixture of both. The added bonus of strength training is that it really kicks your metabolism into gear. More so than cardio.

I do 3 days of weight training and 2-3 days of cardio. As my calves are f**ked right now I either cycle to work (17.5km each way) or do a HIIT crossfit workout combining cardio with bodyweight. 30 minutes.

Danish

Referee
Initially, the group running on the treadmill for 4-5kms would lose the most weight but unless they switch up their cardio routine, then they'll plateau. That's why you see tubbies that are still able to do half marathons and such. They get to a level of fitness where their body isn't pushed any more.

Someone doing a strength program is going to get stronger incrementally. Let's be honest, the best way to get fit and lose weight is to do a mixture of both. The added bonus of strength training is that it really kicks your metabolism into gear. More so than cardio.

The only reason someone running 4-5km regularly would plateau is because they stop increasing their pace to maintain intensity as their fitness progresses. Exactly the same as someone who never increases the amount of weight or number or reps/sets they do while lifting. someone lifting the same weight for the same reps every time they workout is not going to continue to make gains indefinitely either.

As for tubbies "running" half marathons. No fatty is finishing that distance in what would be considered a reasonable pace (say 2 hours). Of the tubs waddling it in at the back of the pack, it would still be nowhere near the percentage of fatties attending gyms on a regular basis for example.

As for the metabolism argument, personally I think that is a personal trainer/Gym developed myth. There are no greater metabolic benefits from exercising your muscles with weights than there are from working your muscles the same way from of any other high intensity exercise (assuming you actually lift weights at high intensity of course).

Thomas

First Grade
The only reason someone running 4-5km regularly would plateau is because they stop increasing their pace to maintain intensity as their fitness progresses. Exactly the same as someone who never increases the amount of weight or number or reps/sets they do while lifting. someone lifting the same weight for the same reps every time they workout is not going to continue to make gains indefinitely either.

As for tubbies "running" half marathons. No fatty is finishing that distance in what would be considered a reasonable pace (say 2 hours). Of the tubs waddling it in at the back of the pack, it would still be nowhere near the percentage of fatties attending gyms on a regular basis for example.

As for the metabolism argument, personally I think that is a personal trainer/Gym developed myth. There are no greater metabolic benefits from exercising your muscles with weights than there are from working your muscles the same way from of any other high intensity exercise (assuming you actually lift weights at high intensity of course).

I ran two half marathons in the late 90's. One I trained for, the other I didn't. I ran the first one just under an hour and a half. In the second one I had a blister issue and was passed close to the finish line by a large chunk dude who would have easily been 115 kgs. Big fat gut and everything. He finished just in front of me in a time of about 1hr 40.

I think if you're looking to lose fat and get fit and you neglect either weights or cardio in favour of the other then you're doing it wrong.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
^ideally yes, doing both would be best. However I'd say if you only had to choose one running would probably win out for pure weight loss potential. And without diet, neither is going to be very effective, diet is 75% or ANY weight loss programme.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Jogging 5ks 3-4 times a week will get the job done but it isnt the most effective weight loss exercise.

HIIT intervals have been proven to raise your metabolic rate for longer but the key is intensity. You have to minimise your rest periods

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Size is one of the factors that impact metabolism. Not in any major way but muscles do require a fair bit of food.

The most import lift in muscle development is the curl your fork into your mouth for a reason.

Danish

Referee
I ran two half marathons in the late 90's. One I trained for, the other I didn't. I ran the first one just under an hour and a half. In the second one I had a blister issue and was passed close to the finish line by a large chunk dude who would have easily been 115 kgs. Big fat gut and everything. He finished just in front of me in a time of about 1hr 40.

I think if you're looking to lose fat and get fit and you neglect either weights or cardio in favour of the other then you're doing it wrong.

I think you will find that your fatty finishing ahead of you in the half did not complete the course. Even today with timing chips in use plenty of fatties and other general cheats still cut corners to get them to the finish line early. I passed the same fat chick 3 times during the SMH half marathon last year, for example. If you check the city2surf results there are also often more people listed as crossing the finish line than there are as crossing the start line due to how many people jump on the track after heart break hill and just trot it in.

I imagine back in the 90s prior to the chip technology the cheating would have been even worse.

Danish

Referee
Jogging 5ks 3-4 times a week will get the job done but it isnt the most effective weight loss exercise.

HIIT intervals have been proven to raise your metabolic rate for longer but the key is intensity. You have to minimise your rest periods

Most definitely.

Adding in hill sprints, fartlek sessions, repetitions and other HIIT workouts is essential for any good running routine.

Danish

Referee
Size is one of the factors that impact metabolism. Not in any major way but muscles do require a fair bit of food.

The most import lift in muscle development is the curl your fork into your mouth for a reason.

The thing is if you are targeting weight loss and improved health then muscle development is completely non-essential.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
There are plenty of health benefits of carrying muscle mass. There is a link between muscle mass and improved living standards into old age for example.

http://www.betterbones.com/osteoporosis/top10myths.pdf

Low muscle mass also puts women at a higher risk for osteoporosis. Strong muscles are a
good indicator of strong bones and it takes strenuous activity to build strong muscles

This is the reason why EVERYONE (man woman or child) should be picking up a weight on a couple times a week basis. The idea that there is no health benefit from weight lifting is frankly ludicrous.

Thomas

First Grade
I seriously can't do cardio without pushing myself hard. When I do my weekly slow long run, I really need to concentrate on maintaining a slow and steady pace. I've always run as hard as I could.

Joker's Wild

Coach
The thing is if you are targeting weight loss and improved health then muscle development is completely non-essential.

Not true. Resistance training is essential for bone and joint health.

Increased muscle mass in men is also linked to a decrease in health conditions such as diabetes, heart disease and arthritis

Thomas

First Grade
I think you will find that your fatty finishing ahead of you in the half did not complete the course. Even today with timing chips in use plenty of fatties and other general cheats still cut corners to get them to the finish line early. I passed the same fat chick 3 times during the SMH half marathon last year, for example. If you check the city2surf results there are also often more people listed as crossing the finish line than there are as crossing the start line due to how many people jump on the track after heart break hill and just trot it in.

I imagine back in the 90s prior to the chip technology the cheating would have been even worse.

I don't think he cheated. It was the Gold Coast marathon and I doubt he could have cheated.

I know of a couple of tubby blokes that can trot around and do half marathons in under 2 hours. Their issue is eating and drinking beer but their body handles running a long distance just fine.

adamkungl

Immortal
Diet and a good running program will far outperform diet and lifting weights everyday of the week when aiming to burn fat. Weights are only necessary if you want to put on size or to tone your upper body (providing you work up to some sprint/hill work your legs will get all the tone they need).

Not sure why you're so insistent on this. Both running/cardio and regular weight training combined will provide the best weight loss results.

Non-essential? Perhaps. Non-beneficial? Completely false.

I could just as easily claim that exercise is completely non-essential to weight loss. Just eat less.

From a weight loss perspective, having more muscle mass uses up more energy every day.
Weight training forces your body to use energy repairing muscles. Weight loss comes from both fat and muscle - weight training limits muscle decline when losing weight.

Comparison:
75kg person of my height/age has a calorie maintenance level of approx 2800.
Take 7kg off (vague estimate of weight i've gained from weight training over the last few years) it goes down to approx 1650.

150 calories is about 15 mins at medium pace on the bike, or jogging. Every day. Before hitting the gym or running. It would be more for bigger blokes.

From a looks perspective (a likely motivating factor in a lot of weight loss), weight training will result in a better looking body, even if there is a bit of flab, and even moreso if there isnt.

adamkungl

Immortal
I seriously can't do cardio without pushing myself hard. When I do my weekly slow long run, I really need to concentrate on maintaining a slow and steady pace. I've always run as hard as I could.

Same, straight up can't be arsed with long runs. Give me sprints any day.

Fire

First Grade

Tie string/rope around your ankles about a foot or two long (or how ever long limits your stride). The limited movement in your stride will slow you down and allow you to get into a rhythm.

Thomas

First Grade
Tie string/rope around your ankles about a foot or two long (or how ever long limits your stride). The limited movement in your stride will slow you down and allow you to get into a rhythm.

Why don't I wear prison overalls and complete the picture?

Danish

Referee
Not sure why you're so insistent on this. Both running/cardio and regular weight training combined will provide the best weight loss results.

The main reason I am insistent on it is that running is free, and gyms are a rip off. the best way to get someone who is just starting out to quit is to make it seem like working out is going to end up costing them too much money.

also, while weights will certainly not hurt with weight loss as it gets you in a good routine of healthy activity, it is still not essential, especially when you are first just trying to drop unwanted weight.

Non-essential? Perhaps. Non-beneficial? Completely false.

I could just as easily claim that exercise is completely non-essential to weight loss. Just eat less.

You could, yes. However doing some form of physical exercise along with eating a healthier diet makes the whole thing much more manageable. I can either eat 1400 cals per day and lose weight, or I can eat 2000 calories, run for 30-40 mins, and lose the same or more amount of weight.

Allowing that additional intake gives you room to occasionally eat a bad meal, or to simply eat more healthy food without worrying about it.

From a weight loss perspective, having more muscle mass uses up more energy every day.
Weight training forces your body to use energy repairing muscles. Weight loss comes from both fat and muscle - weight training limits muscle decline when losing weight.

It can do, yes.

However its very easy for people starting out (and tbh even people who've been working out for years) to over estimate how many calories their body needs for muscle repair and they end up sabotaging their weight loss/maintenance.

How many people try to put on size and start downing supplements only to end up with bigger muscles but also a gut.

Comparison:
75kg person of my height/age has a calorie maintenance level of approx 2800.
Take 7kg off (vague estimate of weight i've gained from weight training over the last few years) it goes down to approx 1650.

150 calories is about 15 mins at medium pace on the bike, or jogging. Every day. Before hitting the gym or running. It would be more for bigger blokes.

I'm not sure what your point is here. Yes being heavier means you have a larger calorie intake for maintenance, I agree with that.

However a 1600 cal net calorie daily intake is hardly something difficult to maintain. I eat about 2000-2100 cals per day and burn off 600-800 on average. I'm actually going to drop that down to about 1300 cals net soon as I'm wanting to drop down below 70kg this year to improve my speed (I'm 5'11)

From a looks perspective (a likely motivating factor in a lot of weight loss), weight training will result in a better looking body, even if there is a bit of flab, and even moreso if there isnt.

Well that depends on what look you are going for really, doesn't it?

What guys think is attractive and what women actually find attractive are 2 rather different kettles of fish (check how many beefcakes have won "sexiest man alive" type awards. the answer is nil)

Joker's Wild

Coach
70kgs at 5'11"?!!

I see why you have such a negative attitude towards resistance training.

Oh and as for the sexiest man alive stuff, just check out the last few winners and tell me that those guys dont lift, ever.

6a00d8341c2ca253ef016762d2e2b9970b-400wi

bcooper.jpg

ryan-reynolds.jpeg

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Brad Pitt circa fight club would have been ripping it up in the gym. Men are supposed to carry a bit of lean muscle mass.

Body building and power lifting are extremes. Most people lifting weights aren't trying to grow their muscles as big as possible or get ludicrously strong.

Most guys hitting the gym want to look like fight club era brad Pitt or Hugh jackman or Taylor lautner. Are these men not considered good looking to women.

Latest posts