What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weight loss & cardio advice?

Danish

Referee
No ones suggesting scoffing down supplements (largely a waste of time and money based on my research) or become a beefcake gym junkie.

Just saying if you exercise 4-5 times a week, mixing it up with cardio and weights will most likely get you the best weight loss results. + the various non-weight related benefits of both.

I agree with that, and certainly am not against people doing any resistance training at all (I do it myself, although only body weight stuff. As i said I'm a vain man so want a 6 pack :lol:).

My argument here is only that the OP asked specifically about weight loss, and for that IMO his best bet would be focusing on a cardio based program if he wants to strip weight fast and improve his health. If he is looking to improve his strength, build up muscle etc as well, then obviously throw some weights in to round it off. but cardio should still be the core.

If its a one or the other selection though, then cardio wins out in my books for weight loss and general health improvements. There is a reason why cardiologists recommend it to their patients after all. Pete and Cliffy argued the other way (that if choosing only one, resistance is more important) and I'd be interested to hear their reasonings for this as I've always been told that while doing weights has its benefits, they are very few compared to the much more important benefits that are gained from simply getting active through some form of cardio (be it running, playing sport, swiming etc).

Joker's Wild

Coach
But its not a one or the other situation mate. The OP asked for advise on weight loss and not suggested he could only do one or the other. Doing both is the fastest and best way to lose weight

A lot of exercise scientists say that for long term health, not specifically weight loss, resistance training is more beneficial than straight up cardio. The reasons centre around joint and bone strength, muscle maintenance, posture improvement and it also provides some cardiovascular benefit too.

In the end though, any exercise regime should be balanced and include both unless you have a specific athletic goal in mind.

Danish

Referee
its the part about exercise scientists saying that resistance is more beneficial than cardio that I don't agree with.

They may well say that, however that goes against pretty much all other medical advice that doctors give to patients. In particular doctors who are specifically dealing with overweight patients and trying to assist them in losing weight and improving health.

Muscle maintenance, bone strength, posture improvement are all things that can be worked on and maintained without lifting weights, or by including extremely light (relative to what I assume most of you do) resistance work in the form of yoga, pilates etc without necessitating hitting the gym. Even then improving your posture is hardly in the same realm of improving your cardiovascular health in the grand scheme ofthings, which quite obviously is much more improved through cardio than resistance (any form of exercise gets the heart going and will see improvements, but running/cycling is going to see vastly more improvements than lifting weights in that particular area)

Joker's Wild

Coach
Well as long as you think that "cardiovascular health" is the be all and end all its going to be hard to shift your thinking. Personally I think that mindset is very limiting and contrary to pretty much all of the information out there on total, long term health.

Honestly mate, I suggest you do some research because your attitude seems pretty outdated

Danish

Referee
Its not the be all and end all, but its clearly the most important. Heart disease kills more people than anything else on the planet, so obviously its a pretty bloody important thing to focus on.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Being reasonable strong is also useful in day to day life outside of the long term health benefits. I'm moving some stuff around and its much easier when you have a bit of strength.