What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weight Vests

Joker's Wild

Coach
Used a lot when training for specific roles requiring extra weight to be carried but they can be worn to just add intensity to any workout really

We used them in the fire service to simulate carrying BAs

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
Ive seen a few, there is a 20kg vest that I thought of getting for sprint training. It might be a little too much, but from what Ive read is that any resistance will help, but probably should not use it for extended periods, as it can cause you to walk sloppy or just add extra pressure on knees and etc.

Danish

Referee
As mentioned you can use them to add extra weight during sprinter drills and various body weight exercises to add a bit of resistance. Stuff like box jumps, pull ups, dips, planks, etc could all be made a bit tougher with a weight vest.

I wouldn't think it would be wise to wear them for sprints though. Just puts extra pressure on the knees. If you want to add a bit of spice to your sprint reps then I suggest adding a bit of incline to the party... nothing brings up your lunch quicker than hill sprints!

Joker's Wild

Coach
Yeah, best not to use them while running. You will alter your gait to compensate ant that can lead to injuries and poor running form

Latest posts