What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Welcome to game day Dragons v Manly

getsmarty

Immortal
grahanj-180616-gp-01-.jpg

MATCH REPORT

Dominant Dragons blitz sloppy Sea Eagles
Author
Brad Walter Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Sat 16 Jun 2018, 07:13 PM

James Graham ensured he avoided the end-of-season nudie run when he became the last regular member of the St George Illawarra starting line-up to score a try as the Dragons regained outright lead of the Telstra Premiership following a 32-8 defeat of Manly at WIN Stadium.

Graham and utility Kurt Mann, who started his second consecutive match on the wing, were the last of the 15 players who have featured in all 14 matches so far for St George Illawarra to score as the hosts romped to their 11th win of the season.

The victory equals the Dragons best start to a season in 2010, when they won 11 matches in the opening 15 rounds before going on to win the grand final.

Coach Paul McGregor now faces the prospect of up to 10 of his squad playing representative matches next weekend, with Graham and captain Gareth Widdop having been named in the England team to play New Zealand in Denver.

Interchange forward Leeson Ah Mau is also expected to be in the Kiwis team, while Tim Lafai is likely to play for Samoa and winger Nene McDonald for Papua New Guinea.

NSW forwards Jack de Belin, Paul Vaughan and Tyson Frizell came through unscathed and they could be joined in the Blues team by Tariq Sims, while Ben Hunt is expected to again be Queensland halfback.

Widdop kicked a penalty goal to open the scoring for the Dragons in the seventh minute but despite dominating possession and field position it took the home side another 20 minutes before they crossed for their first try.

Match highlights: Dragons v Sea Eagles – Round 15, 2018

In between, the Sea Eagles had looked threatening and Tyson Frizell prevented one try scoring opportunity when Tom Trbojevic passed to him after a long range Manly break, presumably because he had heard a call from his NSW Origin team-mate.

St George Illawarra fullback Matt Dufty saved what would have been a certain try when he held up former team-mate Joel Thompson over the try line and rolled him onto his back to prevent the second rower from getting the ball down.

A 22nd minute Trent Hodkinson penalty goal levelled the scores at 2-2 but the Dragons replied with the first try of the game just five minutes later when Dufty stepped inside Manly winger Akuila Uate and threw a cut out pass for Kurt Mann to score in the corner.

Dragons centre Tim Lafai put his side further ahead in the 31st minute when he raced down the blindside from dummy half and stepped around Brad Parker, who had come on as a replacement after Moses Suli left the field with a sternum injury.

Yet despite a first half completion rate of 95 per cent and boasting a 59 per cent share possession, the home team led just 10-8 after 20-year-old Manly utility Tom Wright dummied past Widdop and sprinted clear to score his first NRL try in the 35th minute.

wrightt-scores-a-try--180616-gp-01-.jpg

Manly young gun Tom Wright. :copyright:Gregg Porteous/NRL Photos
A try by Tariq Sims in the seconds before halftime gave the Dragons a 16-8 lead at the interval and they took control in the second half to give their fans in the 13,069 crowd reason to celebrate.

Widdop scored in the 46th minute after pouncing on a grubber from halfback Ben Hunt into the Sea Eagles in goal and England team-mate James Graham scored his first try in the Red V jersey when he forced his way over 10 minutes later.

Graham's try came after Jack de Belin picked up a loose ball near his own try line and raced into the clear before being pulled down 50 metres down field.

Handling errors hurt Manly and they completed just 10 of their 19 sets of possession in the second half, while missing 31 tackles.

Dragons winger Nene McDonald completed a comprehensive 32-8 win for his team when he scored off a Hunt kick in the 72nd minute.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/06/16/dominant-dragons-blitz-sloppy-sea-eagles/

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Firstly just like to thank all on here for getting me another win while Im overseas....currently in Croatia.....was in Split today at the Diacletian Palace amongst hundreds of tourists when bugger me you wouldnt believe it from around the corner I bump into a Dragons supporter in the full gear...mate I said this is unbelievable seeing one of ours here .he said yeah likewise ...just arrived off a cruise ship with his family...didnt have time to stop as we were being pushed along with the crowd....but managed to hear him call out an update from Manly game at the 45 min mark which we were comfortably ahead....didnt really remember anything else about the history of the palace etc as my head was still in the clouds....gotta love being a Dragon fan...cheers fellas please keep it going...back in OZ August 3

jak

Bench
So what did Mary do wrong this week?

He’s made the change with Nighty for Mann. Host got some pretty decent game time which will help us in the coming weeks.

Are people upset we didn’t get to 50? I suppose we could be more like Penrith who had 30 put on them yesterday. They were all the rage in this forum the last couple of weeks.
from my point of view not a bloody thing but that's just me unlike most on this forum.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Mary has done most things right this year but retention and recruitment is now the priority with the departure of
Ah Mau and Nightingale and potential
other departures. Apart from Graham we will need to massively regig the team in 2-3 years time as most of our key forwards are around 27 years old.

giboz71

First Grade
Mary has done most things right this year but retention and recruitment is now the priority with the departure of
Ah Mau and Nightingale and potential
other departures. Apart from Graham we will need to massively regig the team in 2-3 years time as most of our key forwards are around 27 years old.

Millward has locked up most of our key guys long term. McInnes, Hunt, Vaughan, Aitken, Friz and Widdop will be playing together for the next 3 years at least.

That’s a pretty solid foundation. Agree we need to replace Ah Mau and Graham eventually.

Pretty sure Millward is on it, don’t recall him making a wrong move thus far. Some people lost their shit when Duges and Packer left us but so far those moves haven’t hurt is.

They have strengthened us if anything.

giboz71

First Grade
Gotta feel for Joel Thompson. He left the Dragons who are now coming 1st, the guy that took his spot is in the origin squad, he now plays for a rabble who won't play finals and he has to live in Manly with all the backpackers.
At least he is still near the ocean I guess.

Thommo had a pretty fair game as well. Love the guy and wish he was still playing for us.

But moving him on allowed Sims to start and has also put our cap in good shape. Plus we have Host as a pretty handy back up.

Another move that’s proved to be right.

ST Tangles 01

Juniors
Manly came trying to Ambush us early after all the negative press they received and played well for alot of the match.
I can't fault anyone's efforts from last night.
It was good to see our 17th man get a decent 20mins.

watatank

Coach
Gotta feel for Joel Thompson. He left the Dragons who are now coming 1st, the guy that took his spot is in the origin squad, he now plays for a rabble who won't play finals and he has to live in Manly with all the backpackers.
At least he is still near the ocean I guess.

At least he got a chance to upgrade/sign a longer term contract while he still could because we probably weren't giving that to him.

SEAT 1A

Bench
Great win by the lads.

Thommo score nine out of ten times however, got control back late in the first half.great tackle by the Duff man, Laff showed what he can do and Simms to cut back inside to score.

Another great game by Graham. Late in the second half, long kick in our 20 meter, he was there in Manly's 20 to defend and nice read by Nighty late in the game.

Belta

Juniors
Great win. Special mention to the performance of the a Origin reps)

As good as it is to get another 2 points. Like all good teams I'm sure they'll realise there is still some areas of improvement, especially our edge defence. I'm like many believe the score was not a true reflection of the game. In realistic terms the football gods were on our side today. We also faced an opposition that is facing genuine obstacles (essentially they are a basket case at the moment) Happy days though, after all, as they say, a win is a win and sometimes you create your own luck.

Latest posts