What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Welcome to game day Dragons v Manly

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Thommo had a pretty fair game as well. Love the guy and wish he was still playing for us.

But moving him on allowed Sims to start and has also put our cap in good shape. Plus we have Host as a pretty handy back up.

Another move that’s proved to be right.

In his entire NRL career, has Thompson ever looked likely to play SOO?

Sims is a thousand times better.

giboz71

First Grade
In his entire NRL career, has Thompson ever looked likely to play SOO?

Sims is a thousand times better.

Sims has only come good this year. Both have made Country Origin in the past, some were talking about Thommo for Origin last year after our fast start.

Not many including me could have predicted how good Sims would go on the edge. Most predicted Host to slot in there.

Again good on our recruitment for making the right move.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Jimmy, were you happy with the game yesterday?
I thought the playmakers all had good games. What did you think? How did the 1.6.7.9. go yesterday?

Crush,

As I posted elsewhere, it was a good win but definitely not fantastic by any stretch of the imagination,

Poor line speed, numerous missed one-on-one tackles through quite often brittle defence, and an inability to stop offloads were elements which frustrated me.

The 'spine' was good in varying degrees, with Hunt being my MOTM.

The others (Dufty, Widdop and McInnes) all put in influential performances, but to me, it seemed a case of just doing enough in order to win the game.

The various, rival clubs during the semi finals won't be so nearly charitable.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Mary's still bald, that'll do.
I once saw a show on Foxtel about an Asian guy who ate cobra snakes to cure his baldness. He would pick the cobra out of the pit and then the chef would have to agitate and fire the cobra up to get the blood circulating. Then he would kill the cobra and cut it down its belly and hang it and let the blood drain. The guy who purchased the cobra would then drink the blood and the chef would then cook up the cobra. The Asian guy who brought the cobra had a full head of hair and said that before he started eating cobra, he was bald. So there is Mary's solution to baldness. The chef had been bitten numerous times killing cobras. lol

denis preston

First Grade
Crush,

As I posted elsewhere, it was a good win but definitely not fantastic by any stretch of the imagination,

Poor line speed, numerous missed one-on-one tackles through quite often brittle defence, and an inability to stop offloads were elements which frustrated me.

The others (Dufty, Widdop and McInnes) all put in influential performances, but to me, it seemed a case of just doing enough in order to win the game.

Jimmy , don't do this to yourself ! You are in a world of perpetual pain if you pick the eyes out of our performances in a pessimistic tone whilst comparing us against apparent perfection of other contenders.

Brutalitops

Juniors
Something I keep thinking back to with this game is how fit everybody looked.

They played like it was Round 1. Looks like we just needed a week to warm up against the Dogs following the bye to get refreshed.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Jimmy , don't do this to yourself ! You are in a world of perpetual pain if you pick the eyes out of our performances in a pessimistic tone whilst comparing us against apparent perfection of other contenders.

Ever hear of reverse, reverse psychology?

Sometimes it works.

I didn't mention that the easy manner Manly marched upfield seemingly at will also caused me great alarm.

Last edited:

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Gotta feel for Joel Thompson. He left the Dragons who are now coming 1st, the guy that took his spot is in the origin squad, he now plays for a rabble who won't play finals and he has to live in Manly with all the backpackers.
At least he is still near the ocean I guess.

With all due respect, I don't.
No problem taking the coin but truth is, he chose money as his first priority.
Whatever happens after that was a lottery.

Same goes for Packer.
I have no problem with it but as i say, no pity whatsoever.
It was purely their choice ............. there was no pushing.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Crush,

Agree Jimmy- McGregor inexplicably praised our line speed after the match when I found myself screaming at the television for our defence to move up as one and stop waiting for Tommy Turbo and co to build up speed and hit our line with force. We were lucky that Manly were sloppy and wasteful out wide. A more representative score of what actually happened would have been 32-20

Brutalitops

Juniors
A more representative score of what actually happened would have been 32-20
This is just not how football works. Or any sport. If you really wanna just do that, let's arbitrarily add a couple of extra tries for us too. Hell, what if Hunt had kicked, or Aitken's pass was better? And Widdop had landed those conversions? We'd have hit 50

Dragons best Manly 6 tries to 1. That is the result

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Agree Jimmy- McGregor inexplicably praised our line speed after the match when I found myself screaming at the television for our defence to move up as one and stop waiting for Tommy Turbo and co to build up speed and hit our line with force. We were lucky that Manly were sloppy and wasteful out wide. A more representative score of what actually happened would have been 32-20

Yup.

Did you also count the many times Manly were able to get out of its half with gay abandon?

It was able to extract 60+ metres from regular sets throughout the match. For a team that's universally accepted having one the better forward packs in the NRL, Saints concede a fair amount of ground.

The Damo

Juniors
Yup.

Did you also count the many times Manly were able to get out of its half with gay abandon?

It was able to extract 60+ metres from regular sets throughout the match. For a team that's universally accepted having one the better forward packs in the NRL, Saints concede a fair amount of ground.
Worth noting that Manley’s forwards are pretty good - Tapau, AFB, Jurbo, Thompson are all excellent metre eaters - and Tafua and Uate aren’t the most skilful wingers but they are good at starting sets strongly. Metres aren’t manly s problem.

Edit to add - we are actually 15th in run metres conceded, only the storm concedes less.

Last edited: