What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well done and Congrat Gareth on 5/8 of 2017

No ridicule against Widdop and the decision?

Am I on the right forum?
So Widdop was the only St. George player to be selected in Team of the Year as best 5/8 in the whole comp.
So players like Munster, Keary, Norman, Green and Maloney are all rated below Widdop?
Yet none of our forwards got a look in.
Doesn't make any sense to me...

SaintPauli

Juniors
Great effort Gaz second overall and 5/8 of the year. Missing part of the season achieving 22 point. Imagine if he played those games after Anzac Day where he may have ended up.

Anyway well done and here to a better 2018.
Well done Gaz. Had you not missed games due to injury or had the dragons won say 3 or 4 more games you may have well have won the daly m.
Here's to 2018 with your new partner Ben Hunt uheah

Drag Queen

Bench
So Widdop was the only St. George player to be selected in Team of the Year as best 5/8 in the whole comp.
So players like Munster, Keary, Norman, Green and Maloney are all rated below Widdop?
Apparently yes. You may have a problem with this but I don't. Congrats Gaz for not only doing your own job but for also cleaning up your team mates messes.

Apparently yes. You may have a problem with this but I don't. Congrats Gaz for not only doing your own job but for also cleaning up your team mates messes.
I don't have a problem at all - just making an observation.
Widdop was outplayed by a number of his counterparts and yet he trumps them on awards night.
As for "cleaning up your team mates' messes"??
That is just an insult to a number of our players that gave everything for the club this season.
You carry on the back slapping and congratulations while we languish in the group of also rans.
For 3/4 of the season we were mediocre and had no leadership (Widdop).
Finished up bombing out of the 8 - or did you miss that?
There has been nothing real to celebrate in either 2016 or 2017.

Drag Queen

Bench
Widdop was outplayed by a number of his counterparts and yet he trumps them on awards night.
That is just an insult to a number of our players that gave everything for the club this season.
You carry on the back slapping and congratulations while we languish in the group of also rans.
Didn't miss it at all DP. No back slapping here. Has it entered your head that he alone has won more games that we should have. Maybe you should look at our roster and compare it to other teams. Just a thought.

Didn't miss it at all DP. No back slapping here. Has it entered your head that he alone has won more games that we should have. Maybe you should look at our roster and compare it to other teams. Just a thought.
OK, I respect the fact that we may view the whole schomozzle differently.
Widdop is a fine player - I have never said anything different.
IMO our problem in 2017 was not our roster.
Happy to compare with the top eight teams if you think it will add to the discussion.
We basically played dumb football and were poorly coached.
Maybe Widdop was a casualty of that.
At the end of the day Result - 9th with 2 more wins than 2016 which was an unmitigated disaster in every way.
Just trying to put a hard edge on what is happening.
After 6 years of failure, I have shed the rose coloured glasses and I want things to change.
The Daly M awards is an insignificant blip on the radar as far as I'm concerned.

Drag Queen

Bench
Really? I missed nothing except we have the most inept coach in the NRL. Didn't even make the 8. Total suicide not putting in Dugan as FB. TBH we wouldn't have made the next round anyway.

red rocket

Juniors
OK, I respect the fact that we may view the whole schomozzle differently.
Widdop is a fine player - I have never said anything different.
IMO our problem in 2017 was not our roster.
Happy to compare with the top eight teams if you think it will add to the discussion.
We basically played dumb football and were poorly coached.
Maybe Widdop was a casualty of that.
At the end of the day Result - 9th with 2 more wins than 2016 which was an unmitigated disaster in every way.
Just trying to put a hard edge on what is happening.
After 6 years of failure, I have shed the rose coloured glasses and I want things to change.
The Daly M awards is an insignificant blip on the radar as far as I'm concerned.
Good onya Gaz. I wonder how all the coaches who made the finals would of went without having their number one halfback available and had mccrone

Good onya Gaz. I wonder how all the coaches who made the finals would of went without having their number one halfback available and had mccrone
I mean that's the obvious retort but the glaring exception to your theory is Morgan? He's done it on his own and has guided his team to the GF.
Don't forget McCrone was Widdop's choice as his halves partner (felt more comfortable) and he featured prominantly during our little purple patch at the beginning of the season.
I get your adulation and blind love for Widdop but try and be a little objective at least.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors

It's a best and fairest comp. Scratch Maloney because he's the most penalised player in the game. Norman mainly played half this year - scratch him. Keary played well in patches but i never saw him put in a full 80 minute effort - scratched. Green plays for Manly - scratched.

That leaves Munster and Widdop. Munster has the misfortune of being a good player in a team with great players - he will rarely stand out like Widdop does. So while I think there are better 5/8's around, I totally understand why Widdop would get the award. He's had a good season and deserves it.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
It should be clear to all, it has never been the roster it was always the coach that performed so badly. In fact it is the Dragons officials who need to be rewarded by all opposition clubs. We should send them on a permanent holiday for winning the 'most incompetent' in the league. Off to the salt mines in Siberia.

Drag Queen

Bench
I mean that's the obvious retort but the glaring exception to your theory is Morgan? He's done it on his own and has guided his team to the GF.
Don't forget McCrone was Widdop's choice as his halves partner (felt more comfortable) and he featured prominantly during our little purple patch at the beginning of the season.
I get your adulation and blind love for Widdop but try and be a little objective at least.
Widdop's choice or Mary's? I'd go the latter, but let's not get facts in the way.

Latest posts