What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well Done WA Jnr's

Perth Red

Post Whore
Brilliant result against a Victoria side with the benefit of the Storms support:

WA 18's Sweep the Nationals
Western Australia enjoyed a stunning win against Victoria on Sunday, with an after the siren 16 to 14 win in the final game of the under 18 National Affiliated States Championships for Rugby League.
After accounting easily for South Australia 50 nil on Friday they followed up with a strong 26 to 18 win against the Northern Territory on Saturday, it set up the sudden death final game against Victoria who was also undefeated.
In recent years, the Victorian side has enjoyed the benefits of the Melbourne Storm development program and been a dominant force in the national series. The win by WA vindicates their decision to refocus their national team to the under 18 SG Ball competition and the development of the junior program.
>From this national series, a combined Affiliated States’ side is selected to play against NSW and Queensland teams in the peak National Schoolboys Championships in July this year.
Only eligible schoolboys can be in this side and of the 9 playing for Western Australia, six were chosen. They were;
Jesse Prasad (Bulldogs), Marco Muscatello (Joondalup), Eddie Proudler (South Perth), Charlie Abel (Joondalup), Justin Ferris (Rockingham), Patrick Murphy (Joondalup)
</H2>

Kaivitii

Juniors
It was a great result - but I imagine we had more 18s playing in the squad that Victoria did - from the post we look like we had 9 x 17s players and and 11x 18s. Maybe that was enough to make the difference. I think there has been a rule shift - you can only get selected for the CAS side if you are still at school - NT, WA, Vic and SA only 17s are still at school. This is not the case in NSW, QLD and ACT where they are still 18. So the CAS side is a side of 17s going up against the 18 year old players in Pool A of the National Comp. A tough ask I think.

Perth Red

Post Whore
yeh it's a stupid system, i don't know why they insist on the school criteria given the different way schools operate across the country. Surely an age defined deadline would be much better and fairer?

joondalup_giant

Staff member
It was a great result - but I imagine we had more 18s playing in the squad that Victoria did - from the post we look like we had 9 x 17s players and and 11x 18s. Maybe that was enough to make the difference. I think there has been a rule shift - you can only get selected for the CAS side if you are still at school - NT, WA, Vic and SA only 17s are still at school. This is not the case in NSW, QLD and ACT where they are still 18. So the CAS side is a side of 17s going up against the 18 year old players in Pool A of the National Comp. A tough ask I think.

correct.

Thread title is a bit misleading, as there wasnt to many WA juniors in the side!...good result though. hopefully in a few years the WA kids to imports ratio is reversed and with the same result!

Perth Red

Post Whore
where some of the Eastern SG Ball players in the squad JG? I would have thought they would have headed back home after the SG season finished?

Kaivitii

Juniors
More than half the squad were SG Ball players. I think they are contracted to WA until end July at least - after the next state trip to QLD for the Aust Schoolboys U18s championships anyway.

Latest posts