What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well, that'll do me...

OzDragon

Coach
"And with calls for his head along with that of chief executive Peter Doust, and the players constantly being targeted by their fans, McGregor pointed out that the team had so far over-achieved on expectations this year — and that was also the case last season."

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/pa...s/news-story/eebdbb11c8810a41b81a535966a14728

Paul McGregor questions why St George Illawarra are being targeted ahead of other under-performing rivals

Paul CrawleyThe Daily Telegraph

FIRST it was Mike Cooper who this week slammed “unfair” criticism being aimed at the Dragons.

Now coach Paul McGregor has stepped up to defend his team, questioning why St George Illawarra are being targeted ahead of other under-performing rivals.

With the Roosters (15th), Souths (13th) and Manly (12th) below his team on the table, McGregor responded to the pressure being put on his team.

Despite losing their last three games and having the second worst attacking record in the NRL behind only Newcastle, the Dragons are still right in the fight for the top eight heading into Friday night’s crucial clash against the 5th placed Bulldogs.

“For some unknown reason they seem to enjoy targeting some clubs more than others and some players more than others and some coaches more than others,” McGregor said.

“But you can’t do much about that.

“You have just got to work towards the main goals and that is to go out and play your best footy.”

And with calls for his head along with that of chief executive Peter Doust, and the players constantly being targeted by their fans, McGregor pointed out that the team had so far over-achieved on expectations this year — and that was also the case last season.

The Dragons are one of three teams on 20 competition points in 11th spot on points differential, but sitting just one win out of the top eight.

“I think last year everyone said we over-achieved,” he said.

“Again this year everyone picked us to finish in the bottom four with our roster.

“All of a sudden we are above that still now and we are not playing well and we can’t do this and we can ‘t do that.

“But that is rugby league.

“It is the game that we all love and we love to hate at different stages.”

While their form on the field has angered fans, so too has the fact the Dragons are struggling to sign reinforcements for next year.

They have already missed out on Luke Keary and it looks like Corey Norman will also be staying at Parramatta.

McGregor also admitted contract negotiations this year had been difficult on some players, like Benji Marshall and Mitch Rein whose futures are still to be decided.

McGregor said he just wanted his players to put the negativity out of their minds, like he plans on doing.

“You can’t worry about what other people think or concern yourselves with what other people think because it just takes away from your focus on what you need to do, which is concentrate on what you can control and that is winning games of footy,” he said.

“And that is the same as the players.

“Obviously they have got feelings and today’s social media really opens up everything.

“Unfortunately the players do look into things.

“So for us it is about looking after what we can control.

“And it is important that the players leave their baggage at the door and worry about what they can control, which is going out and playing good footy.

“And that is the most important thing because we are still in the hunt for the semi-finals.

“People have got short memories.

“We have to win four of our next six and we understand that. So this week is the start of that.”

Originally published as McGregor steps up to defend under-fire Dragons.

I think I want to live in McGregorland too. I'd like the ability to completely dismiss everything around me. The arrogance is really quite startling

watatank

Coach
I would not use the word "arrogance" but rather naivety. To think that being 11th with just a mathematical but very unlikely chance of reaching 8th with an appalling For and Against can be regarded as anywhere near satisfactory is just so naive.
I think the word you're looking for is delusional

John moz

Juniors
Dumb and dumber how professional are they doust where are you hiding i bet he has left the country. He wont even show his face he is now labeled the fantom .After tomorrows game against bulldogs will be D day for mary and doust after another flogging 40+ mary is dreaming we wont win another game bulldogs brisbane parra knights sharks roosters .

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
I think the word you're looking for is delusional
Thanks so much, watatank! Yes that is a far better choice of word!

There is definitely an air of unreality about the Dragons' public statements at the moment. The gravity of the situation seems lost on McGregor and Doust. Amidst this unreality is the finger pointing at their fans for voicing criticism. But never has criticism been so justified. If the situation was not serious why would someone like me, a supporter of the St.George and St.George Illawarra Dragons for 50 plus years, join this forum to voice his concerns.

My earliest memory of going to a Dragons' match was June 1966 for the first ever Sunday game at the SCG. Sadly Keith Barnes booted the Tigers to a victory that day. Since then of course there have been some down times. Just to pick a few: 1967- Kevin Ryan's Canterbury-Bankstown knocking the Dragons out in the preliminary final to end the 11 Premiership run; 1975 losing the GF 38-nil to Easts; the whole Super League saga of the mid-1990s, the penalty try loss to Melbourne in the 1999 GF; Nathan Brown's face-slapping, of Lance Thompson and Trent Barrett, 2004, the first team eliminated from 5th spot in 2004, the moving on of Lance Thompson, 2005, the first Minor Premier to be eliminated in the 2nd week of the Finals, 2009 and the loss of Trent Merrin, 2015.

But at no time previously have I felt the need for any public protest or criticism. I have suffered in silence. But Widdop's "we didn't turn up" at Brookvale 3 games back alongside Mary's increasingly inane remarks at press conferences has been too much for me to tolerate. Take out the top 3 teams and this is a very mediocre competition. For our coach to be attempting to defend the current 11th position in such an average comp reeks of self-justification.

monsterkev

Juniors
i have emailed the leagues club on many occasions giving them my opinion
i have never had a reply just shows the disrespect for the fans that the whole club has
only to happy to take your cash though

Crossbow

Juniors
Didn't Gus Gould sack Ivan Cleary for comments made after a round 22 game the other year.Words to the effect I think the boys are done for the year.I think we're done for the year also.F..k off Mary.

Zucchini

Juniors
Like many I'm sure, the pathetic performance at the Manly game and the subsequent "we just didn't turn up" from Widdop was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I wrote to the Club and actually received a response. I didn't think I would - I felt better for having sent it because I had vented tot the people I thought might actually be interested enough to act.

Here is my email;

I believe I am entitled to a refund on my 2016 Red V Membership under Australian Consumer Law.

To quote the ACCC:

“You can ask for a replacement or refund if the problem with the product is major

What is a Major Problem?
A product or good has a major problem when:
it has a problem that would have stopped someone from buying it if they’d known about it
it is unsafe
it is significantly different from the sample or description
it doesn’t do what the business said it would, or what you asked for and can’t easily be fixed.
A service has a major problem when:

it has a problem that would have stopped someone from buying it if they’d known about it
it is substantially unfit for its common purpose and can’t easily be fixed within a reasonable time
it does not meet the specific purpose you asked for and cannot easily be fixed within a reasonable time
it creates an unsafe situation."

I’m confident you will agree last night’s performance indeed falls into the category of “a problem that would have stopped someone from buying it they’d known about it” , as well as “substantially unfit for its common purpose”.

Gareth Widdop is on record in the post game Press Conference saying they “didn't turn up".

You have my details. You swiftly take my money each month. Please use the same account to deposit my refund.

Zucchini

Juniors
And their reply

Thank you for your email. As a Red V Member you have made a fantastic commitment to our Club and we appreciate the passion which you show for the team.

We can understand your frustration with the performance against the Sea Eagles as everyone associated with the Dragons was disappointed with Monday night.

With regards to your citation of ACCC definitions, you have addressed your 2016 Red V Membership as a “product or good with a major problem”. Whilst we certainly understand how the performance, away at Brookvale Oval, on Monday night was a negative experience for all those involved at the Club, this does not impact on the delivery of your 2016 Red V Membership. Your seating has been arranged for all eight home games in your package, in the Gold category at each venue, you have received your member benefits as outlined on our website here – http://www.marchwithus.com.au/#!core-member-benefits/cec2 and you have been invited and are entitled to attend any member events such as the Signing Session scheduled in for UOW Jubilee Oval, on Saturday July 16.

In our Membership terms and conditions it states “Once a membership has been purchased, the St George Illawarra Dragons are under no obligation to provide a cancellation or refund. Requests for refunds may only be considered in exceptional circumstances and must be submitted in writing to the Club”. Everyone at the Club would love to see a strong on-field performance every single week, however there is no guarantee from the Membership department or anyone else at the Club that this will ensure that NRL games are won. The Dragons are currently sitting 10th on the NRL ladder and are equal on points with the Warriors who are placed 8th, you will agree that the position is not an exceptional circumstance.

You have also brought attention to the term “didn’t show up” from Gareth Widdop in his post-match press conference. Whilst the team did physically present themselves to play the game, his comments refer to the quality of the performance, in which Gareth admits that the players’ did not play to their full potential.

We understand your concerns, but on this basis, we are not able to offer you a refund on your 2016 Red V Membership due to the team performance on Monday night.

Kind regards,

Anna Barwell

Membership and Customer Service Coordinator
St George Illawarra Dragons

Member DRA-2915892

Ph: 1300 372 466 | redv@dragons.com.au

www.dragons.com.au |
cid:image003.jpg@01D1D86D.B5AD6690
StGeorge.Illawarra.Dragons |
cid:image004.jpg@01D1D86D.B5AD6690
NRL_Dragons

This message and any attachments are intended for the addressees only and may contain confidential or privileged information. Unauthorised use or distribution of such information is illegal. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender and kindly destroy your copy. Thank you for your cooperation.

Dragons 09

Juniors
Lol, we have "overachieved", can't wait for the next installment of spin doctoring and requests for the bullying to stop.........absolute deluded, clueless impostor. Just proves that the powers to be never had us pegged to play finals footy this year.......Mary, the recruitment department and the whole freaking board should be sacked immediately for that alone.

I mentioned on another thread that the pressure is getting to the dynamic duo, well, this just cements it as fact in my opinion. Keep the pressure on lads, be relentless and don't settle for anything other than what we all deserve.The tide is turning and It may take a while, but we are winning. What we are witnessing with this BS, the Doust letter to members and the unfortunate amateur hour scripted comments that Mike C was silly enough to deliver on behalf of the dynamic duo, is a classic case of self implosion by stubborn clueless individuals who are just about out of options.

The only thing that worries me is that the players would have had an absolute gut-full of this shite and may just take things into their own hands and decide to say "f**kc Mary, f**kc the one out conservative game plan, f**kc the scripted play that never changes regardless of what the opposition is throwing up and f**kc being the scapegoats for a stubborn, clueless, amateur, impostor of a so called coach and start playing what is in front of them and doing what they are capable of doing. Our roster is better than where we find ourselves on the ladder and every week i watch our team try hard to deliver what the clueless one tells them to do. In fact, as a playing group, they should be admired for their loyalty and unwavering commitment to delivering what their coach has asked them to do. It must be extremely difficult for a group of men to go out week after week and do what their leader has instructed them to do when deep down they would all know it is wrong and that they are on a hiding to nothing. If the team decide on mutiny and take it upon themselves to throw Mary's game plan out the window and do something about it, they could possibly finish the season with a bit of a flurry. If this were to happen, i get a sick feeling in my stomach that the dynamic duo will take credit for it and this will only prolong their existence. Never thought i would say this and i'm still not sure i am actually advocating it, but to expedite the change we need and to eradicate this great club of the cancerous scourge that is debilitating us, we need to keep losing....Ughhhh, that even hurt to write.

St Georgio

Juniors
Lol, we have "overachieved", can't wait for the next installment of spin doctoring and requests for the bullying to stop.........absolute deluded, clueless impostor. Just proves that the powers to be never had us pegged to play finals footy this year.......Mary, the recruitment department and the whole freaking board should be sacked immediately for that alone.

I mentioned on another thread that the pressure is getting to the dynamic duo, well, this just cements it as fact in my opinion. Keep the pressure on lads, be relentless and don't settle for anything other than what we all deserve.The tide is turning and It may take a while, but we are winning. What we are witnessing with this BS, the Doust letter to members and the unfortunate amateur hour scripted comments that Mike C was silly enough to deliver on behalf of the dynamic duo, is a classic case of self implosion by stubborn clueless individuals who are just about out of options.

The only thing that worries me is that the players would have had an absolute gut-full of this shite and may just take things into their own hands and decide to say "f**kc Mary, f**kc the one out conservative game plan, f**kc the scripted play that never changes regardless of what the opposition is throwing up and f**kc being the scapegoats for a stubborn, clueless, amateur, impostor of a so called coach and start playing what is in front of them and doing what they are capable of doing. Our roster is better than where we find ourselves on the ladder and every week i watch our team try hard to deliver what the clueless one tells them to do. In fact, as a playing group, they should be admired for their loyalty and unwavering commitment to delivering what their coach has asked them to do. It must be extremely difficult for a group of men to go out week after week and do what their leader has instructed them to do when deep down they would all know it is wrong and that they are on a hiding to nothing. If the team decide on mutiny and take it upon themselves to throw Mary's game plan out the window and do something about it, they could possibly finish the season with a bit of a flurry. If this were to happen, i get a sick feeling in my stomach that the dynamic duo will take credit for it and this will only prolong their existence. Never thought i would say this and i'm still not sure i am actually advocating it, but to expedite the change we need and to eradicate this great club of the cancerous scourge that is debilitating us, we need to keep losing....Ughhhh, that even hurt to write.
??? WTF

Mary and Doust... why would they want to get off this gravy train and work for a living.

Maybe ask the three amigos*, they run a propaganda racket for Mary and Doust.

Straight Shooter

*Minh, JGirl and FakeSaint (you know, the really true supporters who would never wish a loss for the team - despite entrenched mediocrity which can never lead to any genuine success)

And their reply

Thank you for your email. As a Red V Member you have made a fantastic commitment to our Club and we appreciate the passion which you show for the team.

We can understand your frustration with the performance against the Sea Eagles as everyone associated with the Dragons was disappointed with Monday night.

With regards to your citation of ACCC definitions, you have addressed your 2016 Red V Membership as a “product or good with a major problem”. Whilst we certainly understand how the performance, away at Brookvale Oval, on Monday night was a negative experience for all those involved at the Club, this does not impact on the delivery of your 2016 Red V Membership. Your seating has been arranged for all eight home games in your package, in the Gold category at each venue, you have received your member benefits as outlined on our website here – http://www.marchwithus.com.au/#!core-member-benefits/cec2 and you have been invited and are entitled to attend any member events such as the Signing Session scheduled in for UOW Jubilee Oval, on Saturday July 16.

In our Membership terms and conditions it states “Once a membership has been purchased, the St George Illawarra Dragons are under no obligation to provide a cancellation or refund. Requests for refunds may only be considered in exceptional circumstances and must be submitted in writing to the Club”. Everyone at the Club would love to see a strong on-field performance every single week, however there is no guarantee from the Membership department or anyone else at the Club that this will ensure that NRL games are won. The Dragons are currently sitting 10th on the NRL ladder and are equal on points with the Warriors who are placed 8th, you will agree that the position is not an exceptional circumstance.

You have also brought attention to the term “didn’t show up” from Gareth Widdop in his post-match press conference. Whilst the team did physically present themselves to play the game, his comments refer to the quality of the performance, in which Gareth admits that the players’ did not play to their full potential.

We understand your concerns, but on this basis, we are not able to offer you a refund on your 2016 Red V Membership due to the team performance on Monday night.

Kind regards,

Anna Barwell

Membership and Customer Service Coordinator
St George Illawarra Dragons

Member DRA-2915892

Ph: 1300 372 466 | redv@dragons.com.au

www.dragons.com.au |
cid:image003.jpg@01D1D86D.B5AD6690
StGeorge.Illawarra.Dragons |
cid:image004.jpg@01D1D86D.B5AD6690
NRL_Dragons

This message and any attachments are intended for the addressees only and may contain confidential or privileged information. Unauthorised use or distribution of such information is illegal. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender and kindly destroy your copy. Thank you for your cooperation.

I'm embarrassed. I'm actually embarrassed to be a Saints fan.

Straight Shooter

Morotti

Juniors
The last three weeks we have played teams below us and each has beaten us handily. How does mary think we will change that form and win the majority of our remaining games?

I am lost for words that he thinks we have over achieved. And based on whose assessment?

The dragons fans all certainly think we are underachieving. So he must be talking about the media and their expectations. But really who cares.

Anything less than a top 8 finish in my book every year is poor regardless of how the season progresses.

And to constantly point to different statistics to tell us what went wrong, it is clearly an attitude problem with the players and this stems from who knows what. But we are progressively getting worse and i expect a flogging tonight againdt the bulldogs.

Everytime i hear trent robinson talk he talks about what the roosters need to do and what they need to change. Maybe other times he blames outside influences. But last night before the game he said their attitude wasnt right last week. And last night they come away with a win. Finally. But geez his relationship with his players seems to be a lot sifferent than mary. Mary seems to coddle them and make excuses foe them. Giving them an out for their performances. Its bad paychology in my opinion and we are in for a torrid last 6 weeks.

I live in cronulla and its embarassing the current state of the dragons. Never been embarassed to be a saints fan until now.

BennyV

Referee
Like many I'm sure, the pathetic performance at the Manly game and the subsequent "we just didn't turn up" from Widdop was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I wrote to the Club and actually received a response. I didn't think I would - I felt better for having sent it because I had vented tot the people I thought might actually be interested enough to act.

Here is my email;

I believe I am entitled to a refund on my 2016 Red V Membership under Australian Consumer Law.

To quote the ACCC:

“You can ask for a replacement or refund if the problem with the product is major

What is a Major Problem?
A product or good has a major problem when:
it is unsafe
it is significantly different from the sample or description
it doesn’t do what the business said it would, or what you asked for and can’t easily be fixed.
A service has a major problem when:

it is substantially unfit for its common purpose and can’t easily be fixed within a reasonable time
it does not meet the specific purpose you asked for and cannot easily be fixed within a reasonable time
it creates an unsafe situation."

I’m confident you will agree last night’s performance indeed falls into the category of “a problem that would have stopped someone from buying it they’d known about it” , as well as “substantially unfit for its common purpose”.

Gareth Widdop is on record in the post game Press Conference saying they “didn't turn up".

You have my details. You swiftly take my money each month. Please use the same account to deposit my refund.
From your username to your email, I think you have won the Internet for the day!

Lethal25

Juniors
IMO one of the must frustrating elements of recent times is the almost complete denial regarding what the real issues are.

If I heard any of the below I may feel somewhat different to the people running the club

1. Our recruitment and retention has been terrible, we will be addressing this as a priority
2. We have not managed the salary cap very well, we take full responsibility and will be rectifying this
3. Our attacking structures have clearly not worked and we will be changing this immediately

Latest posts