What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wellington SHOULD be the next NRL team.

nzwarriorskuz

Juniors
I just want to point out why - capital of NZ and second biggest city, we are already producing many rugby league players who are coming to Australia to further their careers and need a second team to stay in NZ, Junior Warriors have already won 2 grand finals in 2010 and 11. Stephen Kearney is a possibilty as coach, Wellington have produced players such as Paul Rauhihi, Ben Matulino, Mose Masoe, Joseph Tomane, Vince Mellars we could also play a few games at Chch which has also produced first graders such as David Kidwell, Tonie Carroll, Lewis Brown, David Vaealiki here's hoping the next NRL team is based in NZ be it Chch or Wellington.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
All valid points. Wellington should be 3rd in line after Perth and Q4. However the point about Kearney just makes me lose respect

flamin

Juniors
In the round of expansion after the next most likely. The bids from WA, QLD and the Central Coast are just too advanced for me to see Wellington being able to build up enough support over the next few years to overtake them.

But I'm all for a 2nd NZ team. I believe it's vital.

docbrown

Coach
Had some thoughts about this today.

Rather than rename the Warriors back to 'Auckland' and introduce a Wellington side, considering that the NRL is likely to only have 2 New Zealand based teams for 15-20 years (at least) after their introduction, maybe the new team should also just be called NEW ZEALAND.

NEW ZEALAND WARRIORS - targeting Auckland, Northland & Counties
NEW ZEALAND RAMS - targeting Wellington & South Island

But going beyond that...

Not only does that name overcome the issue of Christchurch people from not wanting to follow a 'Wellington' side, it basically offers the entire country an opportunity to pick a side. You could be in Auckland, dislike the Warriors but choose to follow the Rams because they are also a New Zealand side. The goal obviously trying to get as many people in the country to follow one or the other.

Then of course by the time (if/when) a 3rd team ever comes about, then the NRL could think about renaming them. In the mean time you've gotten a decade or two of strong positive growth out of a broad appealing name (similar to why I suggest the South Queensland moniker over Ipswich etc)

Also had a thought - the New Zealand Rams could wear Yellow & Red jerseys with black trims/lettering (effectively merging the Hurricanes & Crusaders kits, the common traditional regional colours).

Perth Red

Post Whore
Tbf it didn't stop the Storm, Lions, Swans, Suns or Giants

If the ARL see the need for a team it'll happen.

We are not the afl and do not have a proactive administration, never going to happen without the softballs running our game being comfortable about a strong bid being in place.

rednblack

Juniors
We are not the afl and do not have a proactive administration, never going to happen without the softballs running our game being comfortable about a strong bid being in place.

What about the storm, cowboys, warriors, even the reds?
Did they all have "bids"? I'm not sure, but I doubt it.
The "softballs" still introduced those teams.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Actually yes they did. Even the Storm had been put together by news ltd although they are the closest to the game actually driving its own agenda, ironically

GAZF

First Grade

Rather than rename the Warriors back to 'Auckland' and introduce a Wellington side, considering that the NRL is likely to only have 2 New Zealand based teams for 15-20 years (at least) after their introduction, maybe the new team should also just be called NEW ZEALAND.

But going beyond that...

Not only does that name overcome the issue of Christchurch people from not wanting to follow a 'Wellington' side, it basically offers the entire country an opportunity to pick a side. You could be in Auckland, dislike the Warriors but choose to follow the Rams because they are also a New Zealand side. The goal obviously trying to get as many people in the country to follow one or the other.

Then of course by the time (if/when) a 3rd team ever comes about, then the NRL could think about renaming them. In the mean time you've gotten a decade or two of strong positive growth out of a broad appealing name (similar to why I suggest the South Queensland moniker over Ipswich etc)

Also had a thought - the New Zealand Rams could wear Yellow & Red jerseys with black trims/lettering (effectively merging the Hurricanes & Crusaders kits, the common traditional regional colours).

Dunno about Rams, the name has a stink on it in league circles. I was actually thinking Moa, very unique name. Would also have to consider that the Pirates would have red/black/gold, red/silver could work.

Good point on involving as much of NZ as possible with the names though. I'd still switch the Warriors back to blue/white/green if they were to keep the NZ name. Southern Whatevers vaguely describes the rest of NZ south of Auckland or even alludes to the Southern ocean.

Last edited:

Quidgybo

Bench

But going beyond that...

In terms of a naming strategy for future New Zealand based teams, assuming the NZ Warriors remain unchanged then you could introduce in order...

2 - "South Pacific" based in Wellington and able to market not only across NZ like the Warriors but also to all the pacific islands which will never have their own team (preseason trials in Fiji etc).
3 - "South Island" based in Christchurch with us vs the north marketing focus.
4 - "North Island" as a second Auckland side, again with a more regional marketing focus.

Leigh.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Like South Pacific or southern something's. ideally playing 9 games in Wellington plus three in Christchurch.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Why? Do Gold Coast and NQ Cowboys need to win before we add another QLD team?

QLD is a bit different to NZ regarding their support of Rugby League....

Is interesting to note that every AFL expansion state won a comp before they put in a second team....

The Warriors should win a title or two in the next 10 years in any event...

I cant see a second NZ team before then, as Perth and SEQ3 will be the next 2 teams in....

juro

Bench
I wouldn't be going near the Rams for a name. Not so much due to the old Adelaide team. Just don't want to hear the endless sheep rooting jokes...

Latest posts