What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wellington SHOULD be the next NRL team.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Ive never been a fan of calling the team "Wellington" and "New Zealand is already taken"...

What would you think of calling the team "Aotearoa"?? As in, the Aotearoa Orcas or something....

Last edited:

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
Ive never been a fan of calling the team "Wellington" and "New Zealand is already taken"...

What would you think of calling the team "Aotearoa"?? As in, the Aotearoa Orcas or something....

How about Central Orcas? Takes care of the Taranaki, Hawke's Bay, East Coast areas of the NI, upper SI at least to CHCH and the West Coast, which would all be feeders. Might be a bigger area geographically than Auckland (which isn't part of NZ anyway they'd have us believe) but has a reasonable base of talent from those areas already playing in the NRL for OZ teams & local comps that could strengthen (would need to really lift though) if there was an NRL team out of Wellington.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Anyone heard how the ticket sales are for next weekends Warriors v Tigers game?

Headed over there myself and looking forward to checking the city out on my first visit.

Hopefully the game over there can generate some more media interest in the bid(s).

jamesgould

Juniors
Another very solid crowd in Wellington tonight, 22,500 odd. Sadly that's it for us for at least another 12 months.

Last edited:
Another very solid crowd in Wellington tonight, 22,500 odd. Sadly that's it for us for at least another 12 months.

That is why we urgently need another NRL club from New Zealand, based in Wellington.

Wellington would attract more fans each home game than more than half the Australian NRL clubs.

Plus the local derbies with Auckland Warriors would be blockbusting attendances.

Te Kaha

First Grade
That is why we urgently need another NRL club from New Zealand, based in Wellington.

Wellington would attract more fans each home game than more than half the Australian NRL clubs.

Plus the local derbies with Auckland Warriors would be blockbusting attendances.

The support has always been here... there just isn't a stadium to play at.

The big issue is still that any Wellington based team will only be able to play two or three games a year with the lights on. Given its dark mid winter by 5pm/3pm Syd time that means only day games, which no Australian broadcaster will want to willingly fund.

shiznit

Coach

The big issue is still that any Wellington based team will only be able to play two or three games a year with the lights on. Given its dark mid winter by 5pm/3pm Syd time that means only day games, which no Australian broadcaster will want to willingly fund.
They can change that.... If there was a serious chance of a Wellington NRL bid being made they would make it happen. The govt has already made massive reforms to the RMA... And are currently in the process of getting the votes to make more.

So if it can't be done already... It will be done soon.

Not that it will really matter anyway... The Broadcasters will want day games for this timeslot... The ultimate goal is to have a NZ game to start the day and Perth to finish it.

Then you have the Nix looking like they will be moving out to Petone. So that will open up more slots.

I think it's all really pointless anyway.... Unless there is a serious bid I can't see anything happening. I don't think Wellington has the financial support for a bid at this stage.

Unless of course that mysterious belgian billionaire funds it... :lol:

Come to Hamilton.... Better stadium for the watching football, more supportive council.

georgesnmith

Juniors
the a league team probably wont be around for much longer anyway.

Wellington will get a team, just not in the next 5 years.

NZ is a market which we can expand to very easily just we need to shore up australia first then expand internationally

jamesgould

Juniors

I'd be pretty surprised if this was still an issue. The number of night games the Phoenix play is minimal in the extreme these days. I'm not sure exactly how many Westpac is allowed per year, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't easily room to accommodate another side.

ozenzud

Juniors

Arrr, the restriction is on concerts, not footy games.

Lights are a non issue.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Warriors need to play 3-5 games there a year, every year and have a Wellington membership. Maybe the NRL can offer some incentives to encourage sharks, Penrith etcetera to take home games against the warriors there.

Diesel

Referee
The thing about having 2 NZ teams is you give them the 3pm (5pm NZ) KO on Saturday or the 12pm (2pm NZ) KO on Sunday, it opens up more day games that we all want and will be great in the depths of winter.

I'm really enjoying these Saturday afternoon games and they don't appear to be hurting the NZ crowds

Diesel

Referee
Warriors need to play 3-5 games there a year, every year and have a Wellington membership. Maybe the NRL can offer some incentives to encourage sharks, Penrith etcetera to take home games against the warriors there.

A relocated team to Wellington wouldn't be snubbed by the city, I remember when Wellington had the Dolphins bid going in the early 90's and there was a lot of buzz. In the early 2000's when Canterbury & Canberra came to town there was a lot of buzz and the same in 2013 when they got 30k+. This year was a little down, perhaps because the Tigers and Warriors form is mixed or perhaps the game was changed from Sunday only a few weeks ago but 22K is very impressive.

Christchurch is in the same bag as Wellington, it's a shame the NRL couldn't have a NZ weekend with games in Aucklsnd, Hamilton, Wellington , Christchurch and Dunedin, all except Wellington have rectangle fields

Flapper

First Grade
That would be pretty cool. it's good that the Dogs are taking a game to Hamilton, when I was there a month ago saw a lot of merch around the place (especially Panthers gear funnily enough), and if I went to the pub in a jersey a fair few folks approved.

jamesgould

Juniors
I certainly wouldn't complain about a Wellington side playing two games in Christchurch and two games in Dunedin each year, and I don't think many would.

Just on the speculation that Westpac Stadium couldn't have a side, here's a comment from the Westpac Stadium CEO, he says they're ready to have a side:

Two Wellington bids for an expansion NRL team
Last updated 05:01 16/02/2014

AARON LAWTON

At least two separate syndicates are preparing bids for an NRL franchise based in Wellington.

The news comes as NRL chief executive Dave Smith, delighted by a spectacular opening day of the Auckland Nines, revealed the stepping up of a targeted strategic plan to grow rugby league in New Zealand.

Smith wouldn't be drawn on the prospect of a second franchise during an exclusive interview with Sunday News but spoke openly about his organisation's plans to increase its presence in this country.

A long-established group which includes Wellington Rugby League boss Jason Hemson is ready to submit a proposal to bring an NRL team to the capital.

But the Sunday Star-Times can reveal a second group, based in Australia but with New Zealand investors, is understood to be exploring the prospect of lobbying for a second team.

Shane Harmon, chief executive of Wellington's Westpac Stadium, confirmed an approach from the second group "about the possibility of basing a team or partly basing a team in Wellington".

"That hasn't been from the NRL . . . we understand that these individuals are talking to a number of New Zealand cities. I don't know who their backer is. They have said that there are some New Zealand backers."

Hemson confirmed his group's intentions. "We've got a business plan and when the NRL gives an indication they want bids for expansion, we will be ready to go," he said.

That will not be before 2017 when the NRL's present broadcast deal expires. Smith confirmed expansion discussions would begin at the end of this season but the former banker cautioned there would be no rush decisions.

"When we understand where all the pieces are, then we can start to make big strategic decisions for the right reasons and with confidence that it's a secure investment that will take the game forward," he said.

http://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/9727396/Two-Wellington-bids-for-an-expansion-NRL-team

Last edited:

Te Kaha

First Grade
They can change that.... If there was a serious chance of a Wellington NRL bid being made they would make it happen. The govt has already made massive reforms to the RMA... And are currently in the process of getting the votes to make more.

So if it can't be done already... It will be done soon.

Not that it will really matter anyway... The Broadcasters will want day games for this timeslot... The ultimate goal is to have a NZ game to start the day and Perth to finish it.

Then you have the Nix looking like they will be moving out to Petone. So that will open up more slots.

I think it's all really pointless anyway.... Unless there is a serious bid I can't see anything happening. I don't think Wellington has the financial support for a bid at this stage.

Unless of course that mysterious belgian billionaire funds it... :lol:

Come to Hamilton.... Better stadium for the watching football, more supportive council.

If they do change it there isn't much chance of it being retrospective, and given the amount of money in Thorndon I doubt they would risk it.

However if the Phoenix Do move to Petone there "should" be enough night slots.

I'd be pretty surprised if this was still an issue. The number of night games the Phoenix play is minimal in the extreme these days. I'm not sure exactly how many Westpac is allowed per year, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't easily room to accommodate another side.

From Memory there was 6-8 slots after Rugby and Cricket had their 30 year allocation... 2 for concerts, which are seldom used and 6 for "other".. if the Phoenix move that's potentially 8 night slots.. bare minimum for a full time team.

Arrr, the restriction is on concerts, not footy games.

Lights are a non issue.

Not true, The concerts were a restriction, 2 per year from memory, but in order to get RMA consent they had to limit the amount of times the lights could be on a year or the locals wouldn't accept it.

I certainly wouldn't complain about a Wellington side playing two games in Christchurch and two games in Dunedin each year, and I don't think many would.

Just on the speculation that Westpac Stadium couldn't have a side, here's a comment from the Westpac Stadium CEO, he says they're ready to have a side:
http://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/9727396/Two-Wellington-bids-for-an-expansion-NRL-team

Maybe he does know something that isn't public knowledge... I wouldn't count on it tho.

georgesnmith

Juniors
He'll have a red face when he checks the fine print after signing up an NRL side. :lol:

"Bloody hell ... didn't have a clue about any of this ..."

im taking a wild stab in the dark here, i think hes a union fan and doesnt like the idea of rugby league expanding in nz

shiznit

Coach
:lol:

random poster on internet knows more about westpac stadium than the CEO
Actually he's saying is true...

Our RMA is well known for being very restrictive on new buildings.

It's since become a lot less restrictive... But when the caketin was being approved in the late 90's the RMA was at its most difficult.

There certainly is/was a limit on times you can have the flood lights going.

But there were some laws passed in the lead up to the rugby World Cup which allows them to alter the conditions of consent if it has a benefit for the local community.

The Eden park trust board managed to do it... And they have the toughest restrictions of any stadium in NZ.

Last edited: