What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wellington SHOULD be the next NRL team.

georgesnmith

Juniors
im sure if there are people trying to organise a bid for the place they might know a little bit more about this than the poster i was referring too

you know the guys prepared to put millions in

he just seemed to be death riding the bid tbh

Perth Red

Post Whore
Wouldn't be an issue anyway. Value of NZ to Australian TV is early live games not late night games. 12 home games, 6 night games plus 1 or 2 to other cities is not any kind of problem. Reality is they will alternate with warriors so fox has that live first Saturday game every week.

georgesnmith

Juniors
Wouldn't be an issue anyway. Value of NZ to Australian TV is early live games not late night games. 12 home games, 6 night games plus 1 or 2 to other cities is not any kind of problem. Reality is they will alternate with warriors so fox has that live first Saturday game every week.

good points thats something id not thought about

it will be the same time slots as the warriors when the warriors are away from home.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yep, that would be the value to the NRL. Consistent game every weekend in that slot. Mind you knowing the NRL fixture ability they would probably be both away same weekend!

Te Kaha

First Grade
im sure if there are people trying to organise a bid for the place they might know a little bit more about this than the poster i was referring too

you know the guys prepared to put millions in

he just seemed to be death riding the bid tbh

He isn't trying to organise a bid, he is a CEO trying to sell services at his stadium. There might already be an agreement in place to remove the restriction in place, which i doubt, or since he didnt mention the restriction he is hoping an accepted "bid" would put pressure on local government to make changes. Given we have a "greenie" mayor I wouldnt count on it.

georgesnmith

Juniors
He isn't trying to organise a bid, he is a CEO trying to sell services at his stadium. There might already be an agreement in place to remove the restriction in place, which i doubt, or since he didnt mention the restriction he is hoping an accepted "bid" would put pressure on local government to make changes. Given we have a "greenie" mayor I wouldnt count on it.

ill just stick with what the CEO of the stadium said thanks

oikee

Juniors
Someone came up with a good point today and the NRL has really let this great game down.

Local content ("played") every week.
Not only Brisbane, but also NZ and Perth and Melbourne.

The NRL has let every single one of these cities and country down badly.
They do not give these places local content every week.
Even their heartland Brisbane, one game "played" every two weeks, melbourne, not shown religiously on tV, even gem is not utilised. .
Perth and Adelaide, where is the game being shown. ?
And the warriors leave the country every second week, so you cant see a game in NZ anywhere for love or money.

The way this code is being run has to stop, now, and someone with even just a thin slice for a brain fix this before the game simply implodes into nothingness.

Wellington, announce the new Wellington Sharks,
Perth Pirates, announce the bid.
Brisbane Brothers, announce, bring it on now, before you turn any more fans away John Grant with your negative approach.

Then next deal after that bring in Brisbane team 3 and Adelaide.
20 teams, all play each other once a year, and every two years to make it home then away game.

So this year you play the dogs at home, next year it would be away, then home again year after, away etc.

This is not rocket science, it is common sense. And the game had better find it soon, before their is nobody left to sell it too.

jamesgould

Juniors
I have to agree, they are moving at glacial speed to expand the game. One new side in the last fifteen plus years! Look at what the AFL, union and soccer has done in that time ...

It would have almost have been preferential to have tried a few clubs and had them go under in that time, at least we could have said we'd tried.

Just on Westpac Stadium, they had over 50 night events last year, I'd be very surprised if they couldn't squeeze in the five or six that an NRL side would need, it's almost a laughable thought that they couldn't. I know one thing, the Firebirds yearly night 20-20 games that draw around 200 people would be out the door, two extra nights already!

oikee

Juniors
I have to agree, they are moving at glacial speed to expand the game. One new side in the last fifteen plus years! Look at what the AFL, union and soccer has done in that time ...

It would have almost have been preferential to have tried a few clubs and had them go under in that time, at least we could have said we'd tried.

Just on Westpac Stadium, they had over 50 night events last year, I'd be very surprised if they couldn't squeeze in the five or six that an NRL side would need, it's almost a laughable thought that they couldn't. I know one thing, the Firebirds yearly night 20-20 games that draw around 200 people would be out the door, two extra nights already!

Agree, they shove afl, ruggy union league and soccer plus internationals from all these codes into just two stadiums in Sydney, so a extra few games at the caketin would be open-armed welcomed.
The guys running our code seem to be taking it backwards now, anyone getting that feeling,. ?
The afl got everything done under labor, all three codes now need to make sure everything is done to improve our stadium experience, because it is way off the mark now.

flippikat

Bench
NZ (and to a lesser extent the islands) is the trump card for the NRL over AFL.

By and large, NZ doesn't know sh!t about AFL, nor do we care sh!t about the AFL.

That's 4 million people that the AFL won't reach without a HUGE outlay. The NRL already has a far better reach on the eastern seaboard then AFL, and are just Perth & Adelaide away from having the major population centres all represented in some form.

Perth is pretty much a done deal for the next expansion, Adelaide just needs a few years groundwork (just do what's been done in Perth), and they'll have a strong case next time round.

Then looking at NZ, there's potential for maybe 3 teams (2 North Island, 1 in the South) - based along regional lines, much like the Super Rugby teams.

The Warriors in Auckland, playing the odd game in Hamilton, Rotorua or Whangarei.
The Orcas in Wellington, playing the odd game in Palmerston North, New Plymouth or Napier.
The Bulls in Christchurch, playing the odd game in Dunedin or Invercargill.

The only question is whether the NRL want to factor in NZ expansion soon, or wait until their Australian 'footprint' has been sorted out (both in expansion and rationalising Sydney teams a little more).

I suspect they may keep the NZ options up their sleeve for now, while they focus on how they want the structure of Australian clubs in the competition.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Just got back from Wellington. Some observations;

- Arrived on the Friday. Not a noticeable amount of hype in town before the game. The taxi driver who picked me up at the airport had no idea the game was on and asked me if the Wests Tigers were from Perth.I bought the local paper The Dominion and there was a small story a few pages inside the Sports lift out about the game. Vodafone had a few billboards in town promoting the game, and apparently they arranged for an autograph session in the CBD on the Friday night for the Warriors players

- there were a lot of people walking around in Warriors gear around town on the Saturday. I assume a lot of people travelled from other parts of NZ, but it provokes the question, how many Wellington locals support the
Warriors already, and will they just dump them to support their own team a few years down the track?

-lots of general rugby league and NRL advertising on sky sports. They must be paying a motza for that.

- Stadium was pretty good for an oval. Still pretty close to the action, and its a comfortable 10 minute stroll from the CBD

- the weather over there sucks! Frezing cold and strong winds in March. Can only imagine what July must be like!

- I still think they are behind Perth and a 2nd Brisbane team for mine.

Last edited:

georgesnmith

Juniors

game hasnt had the money for expansion until now.

now the game does have the money i hope they dont mess around anymore

there are places that really deserve a team ASAP.

oikee

Juniors
Just got back from Wellington. Some observations;

- Arrived on the Friday. Not a noticeable amount of hype in town before the game. The taxi driver who picked me up at the airport had no idea the game was on and asked me if the Wests Tigers were from Perth.I bought the local paper The Dominion and there was a small story a few pages inside the Sports lift out about the game. Vodafone had a few billboards in town promoting the game, and apparently they arranged for an autograph session in the CBD on the Friday night for the Warriors players

- there were a lot of people walking around in Warriors gear around town on the Saturday. I assume a lot of people travelled from other parts of NZ, but it provokes the question, how many Wellington locals support the
Warriors already, and will they just dump them to support their own team a few years down the track?

-lots of general rugby league and NRL advertising on sky sports. They must be paying a motza for that.

- Stadium was pretty good for an oval. Still pretty close to the action, and its a comfortable 10 minute stroll from the CBD

- the weather over there sucks! Frezing cold and strong winds in March. Can only imagine what July must be like!

- I still think they are behind Perth and a 2nd Brisbane team for mine.

This is a great point. Now imagine in the middle of winter, the wellington Sahrks are last on the ladder and the crowd is sparse.
I would prefer another team across town in auckland.
But before all that, second team for our heartland brisbane, and third team for brisbane then either wello or auckland.

Fish where the fish are is about the only thing Gallop got right.

taipan

Referee
This is a great point. Now imagine in the middle of winter, the wellington Sahrks are last on the ladder and the crowd is sparse.
I would prefer another team across town in auckland.
But before all that, second team for our heartland brisbane, and third team for brisbane then either wello or auckland.

Fish where the fish are is about the only thing Gallop got right.

After last night's crowd maybe we can call the new NZ team,the Tasman Titans.Not even mid winter:lol:
I will repeat it one more time,get the Titans and Cows crowds back to decent numbers,before trying to relocate other teams.Because there äint"too many fish biting in these areas of late.

BuffaloRules

Coach
It wasn't even cold over the weekend! 19 degrees today ... harden up. Wellington is no Dunedin.

No way was it 19 on Saturday..... Would have been struggling for 15.....

Now back in Sydney and the temperature was a balmy 27 today.

That's the way I would prefer to spend my Autumns thanks very much....

Wilson1

Juniors
No way was it 19 on Saturday..... Would have been struggling for 15.....

Now back in Sydney and the temperature was a balmy 27 today.

That's the way I would prefer to spend my Autumns thanks very much....

Wellington doesn't get any colder than about 13 C. Maybe that is cold for you guys in Australia but it really isn't cold. It's not like the temperature goes below zero or anything. The stadium is a bit exposed, I agree but people are happy to turn up to rugby tests in winter. I bet Canberra would be colder than Wellington in the winter.

I still don't understand why people think the next New Zealand team should be in Wellington. Christchurch is clearly the way to go. It has the same population, will have a far better stadium, far more passionate supporters, far bigger rivalry with Auckland but does produce less rugby league players, admittedly.

jamesgould

Juniors
Wellington doesn't get any colder than about 13 C. Maybe that is cold for you guys in Australia but it really isn't cold. It's not like the temperature goes below zero or anything. The stadium is a bit exposed, I agree but people are happy to turn up to rugby tests in winter. I bet Canberra would be colder than Wellington in the winter.

I still don't understand why people think the next New Zealand team should be in Wellington. Christchurch is clearly the way to go. It has the same population, will have a far better stadium, far more passionate supporters, far bigger rivalry with Auckland but does produce less rugby league players, admittedly.

Crowds at NRL games over the years in both cities would disagree with you that Christchurch has the more passionate league supporters. Wellington averages 21,927 over seven games with a high of 30,112, Christchurch averages 16,008 over five games with a high of 20,721.

Rugby league is huge out Lower Hutt ways, it's a natural fit to have the second side in Wellington. However they should take several games to Christchurch throughout the year, if it ever happens.

I think it'd be far riskier to have the side in Christchurch, though - it's the biggest rugby union stronghold in the country.

georgesnmith

Juniors
plus a couple of games at the nice new stadium with the roof, think its dunedin

wellington seems fickle given a league crowds, so 6 - 8 games there, 2 games at dunedin and the rest christchurch

jamesgould

Juniors
plus a couple of games at the nice new stadium with the roof, think its dunedin

wellington seems fickle given a league crowds, so 6 - 8 games there, 2 games at dunedin and the rest christchurch

As long as they don't find they're destroying any home ground advantage, that sounds fine.

Wellington does show up for an occasion, and if the side is doing well. If there was ever a home final played at the stadium, I'd put my last dollar on it selling out.

Unfortunately there hasn't been a successful Wellington side in any competition for several years, which I think has lead to the decline in crowd figures. Prior to that, say 2000-2005, they were consistently the top in the country.