What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wendell Sailor suspended

C

CanadianSteve

I thought it would help our 3 member resurgence to start an actual discussion thread that was not just about revivng the forum.

I read the following on rugbyheaven.com:
<hr>

"Sailor last night received support from champion boxer and friend Anthony Mundine, who revealed that drug taking was rife in rugby league. Mundine told Channel Nine he had been offered drugs when he was a senior rugby league player. He added that some of the code's best-known names were drug takers. "When I was playing, what I knew for a fact is that a lot of high-profile players were actually taking recreational drugs," Mundine said. "Some people would fall off their chair if I happened to name them. "They would be stunned. It's not just a problem within our society, but within rugby league and rugby union. When I was playing, a few very high-profile players were taking certain things." Mundine said Sailor had been unfairly dealt with. "I really feel that there is a protected species within our sport. If you're in that category you are less likely to be a victim of anything," he said. "I really do believe they are using Wendell as a scapegoat. I hear that the ARU were trying to get rid of him anyway. There's a lot of pressure on the man, but I'm sure he has the pride and integrity to overcome the situation. "He can keep his head up high, because everyone makes mistakes in their life. And he'll bounce back." " <hr> Any thoughts on Wendell's suspension, Mundine's comments (re: drug use in RL), Wendell's future, etc.? &lt;/BOD><br clear=all>

imported_kier

Juniors
I'm pretty sure that recreational drug use is rife throughout most high profile team sports - there have been many rumours in the UK about soccer, RL and RU players using ecstasy and cocaine. In that sense sports are reflecting society - the reason that there are not more 'Wendall' stories is because all sport organisations only conduct random tests on game days - and the drugs are out of the system by then (assuming most users take the evening after a match/one day after).

I find it unsuprising that few (if any) players have come out with any negative comments - condemnation would be hypocritical. I would suggest that there is a lot of truth in Mudine's 'scapegoat' comments.

C

CanadianSteve

I read that Wendell can't go back to the NRL, because the NRL would honour his drug suspension by the ARU. So his career may be done, as a 2 year hiatus at his age would be difficult to come back from.

Benderparma

Juniors
I think the NRL will honour his Rugby League suspension and i agree that the two year hiatus would finish his career. I can remember them honouring anohter players union drugs suspension (was it Andrew Walker?).

Like everyone else, it wouldnt surprise me if recreational drugs were as widespread as Mundine suggested. It is one of the few things he says which seems sincere as opposed to being said just to get publicity.

Latest posts