What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

johnny plath

Juniors
Yeah I know, been following this since day dot.

tcAM0eD.png

fCkFYUi.png

LkMhawv.png
I thought the QRL scrapped the Cyrill Connell cup... haven't seen anything on previous CC cup teams naming squads and staff etc, or anything to suggest this comp still exists.... anyone got any idea on that??

magpie_man

Juniors
Seriously MM.That avatar of yours of Percy P*sshead gives me chunder symptoms.
Everytime I see it,I want to give up the drinker move to another space.

Hahaha! I haven't seen another picture so perfectly capture what an utter clown he is.
Albeit, it does give me the barely resistible urge to punch whatever screen I'm viewing his grotesque mug from.
Rage against the machine.

Perth Red

Post Whore
NRLWA has just published a list of Jnr clubs that will play in WA in 2017. It comes to 17 clubs. That would have to be the largest since the early 90's. Good stuff.

Each year we seem to get one or two new junior clubs starting up.

Most recent have been
Ellenbrook Rabbitohs (a new suburb in East of city)
Kwinana Wolves (interestingly a joint union and league club)
Mandurah Dolphins (SW of Perth)
And next year will see the newest club The Alkimos Tigers (new northern suburb)

The SW Warriors down in Bunbury are also going great guns and have a number of small towns around Bunbury running Jnr teams that will play each other in the SW.

Great to see growth in the grassroots in WA.

Perth Tiger

Bench
How are the senior clubs going along, it has been a while since I checked in on them.

Any new teams stepping up? Is it still the North Beach and South Perth show?

taipan

Referee
NRLWA has just published a list of Jnr clubs that will play in WA in 2017. It comes to 17 clubs. That would have to be the largest since the early 90's. Good stuff.

Each year we seem to get one or two new junior clubs starting up.

Most recent have been
Ellenbrook Rabbitohs (a new suburb in East of city)
Kwinana Wolves (interestingly a joint union and league club)
Mandurah Dolphins (SW of Perth)
And next year will see the newest club The Alkimos Tigers (new northern suburb)

The SW Warriors down in Bunbury are also going great guns and have a number of small towns around Bunbury running Jnr teams that will play each other in the SW.

Great to see growth in the grassroots in WA.

That is indeed good news PR.
This type of news puts a more convincing argument for expansion, to the powers that be.

Perth Red

Post Whore
How are the senior clubs going along, it has been a while since I checked in on them.

Any new teams stepping up? Is it still the North Beach and South Perth show?

Still dominated by south Perth and norths. Freo has been having a few good years though and developing well as a club. Poor old bears remain whipping boys. Joondalup had a brief good period but slipped in recent years. SW warriors are still growing but have lovely new training facilities they've just moved into and a great Jnr program bringing in a lot of small towns in that region.

Last seasons final table
P W D L. Pts
1. SEA EAGLES 18 15 0 3 0 407 30
2 ROOSTERS 18 13 0 5 0 332 26
3 LIONS 18 11 1 5 1 209 25
4 BULLDOGS 18 8 0 9 1 -319 18
5 GIANTS 18 8 0 10 0 150 16
6 SHARKS 18 6 1 11 0 42 13
7 WARRIORS 18 3 0 14 1 -337 8
8 BEARS 15 4 0 11 0 -438 8

Perth Red

Post Whore
Good support from our next wa govt

A mental health awareness program run by the NRL for grassroots clubs in the Eastern States would be brought to WA if Labor was elected on March 11, shadow health minister Roger Cook announced yesterday.

The NRL’s State of Mind program, which offers a six-step process including education sessions, action plan and events, will receive $100,000 for two years to be implemented at local rugby league clubs around WA.

Mr Cook said one of Labor’s key goals for mental health was to reach out to young people.

“One of the ways we can do that is use sport to introduce them to the issues of mental health and encourage them to get help if they need it, but more importantly, de-stigmatise the issue,” Mr Cook said.

https://thewest.com.au/politics/state-election-2017/labor-backs-nrl-mental-health-plan-ng-b88397242z

Perth Red

Post Whore
Apparently we are playing a younger squad this year and no imports for first time. I've always said that the NRL should fund a WA- PNG link up. Have a Pirates academy in PNG and bring 4 or 5 of the most talented 17 year olds over to Perth to play SG ball and get some career experience.

No doubts our jnr numbers are a weakness, not surprising given the lack of popularity of RL in Australia sadly. You get out what you put in and until the NRL gets serious about finding jnr programs and gives kids a home town team to aspire to play for then nothing much will change.

Dragonwest

Juniors
Apparently we are playing a younger squad this year and no imports for first time. I've always said that the NRL should fund a WA- PNG link up. Have a Pirates academy in PNG and bring 4 or 5 of the most talented 17 year olds over to Perth to play SG ball and get some career experience.

No doubts our jnr numbers are a weakness, not surprising given the lack of popularity of RL in Australia sadly. You get out what you put in and until the NRL gets serious about finding jnr programs and gives kids a home town team to aspire to play for then nothing much will change.

The majority of the team will be eligible for pirates again next year.

The major problem I see is that all the clubs have a large percentage of their kids playing both League and Union from a young age. By the time they get to 16's a lot are being pulled permanently to Rugby. It's a serious issue for the depth of our senior competition.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The NRL has ruled out any expansion until the end of the next broadcast deal in 2022 but Donato said a side should be based in Perth, possibly an existing club relocated in WA.

"I've got no doubt Perth could have a side." Donato said.

"The fact that the NRL is talking about having more content here demonstrates that Perth are on their radar for expansion.

"It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. I hope it might be sooner than everybody might think.

"Ultimately it's a decision for the NRL not the Rabbitohs but we would certainly support Perth having its own team.

"Whether it's a relocated side or a new home grown side I can't say but I know, having had discussions with the NRL, that they are certainly looking at having more content here."

An historic State of Origin will be played at the new Burswood stadium in 2019 and Australia played New Zealand at nib Stadium last year.

A rugby league world cup double-header with England taking on France and Wales playing Ireland will be staged at nib Stadium in November.

The door could open wide for the NRL if the Western Force are axed from Super Rugby next year.

NRLWA general manager John Sackson said he expected the NRL to be closely watching the drama between the ARU and its two possible victims the Force and Melbourne Rebels.

"I'd be very surprised if the powerbrokers at NRL headquarters are not watching this situation unfold very, very closely," Sackson said.

"Ultimately it is up to the Rugby League Commission and their appetite to take advantage of any potential change in landscape in Perth but there is plenty of room here for an NRL franchise

"If the Force were to depart the market place, and I am sympathetic to what the club and their players are going through, at the end of the day it creates opportunity for rugby league.

"We have drawn the commission attention to it, it's a hot topic nationally. It's hard for anyone not to know what's happening in rugby union."

https://thewest.com.au/sport/rugby-...rn-to-home-away-from-home-in-wa-ng-b88462583z

taipan

Referee
That's pretty much what i though would be the situation.Expansion very good chance 2023.
Waiting,wishing and hoping the Force would be flicked.

Any competitor in their right mind, would seek to take advantage of any opposition's demise.Just like union and AFL did when the Bears were flicked.

I have a gut feeling the Force will remain, and there will be a Brumbies/Rebels joint venture -playing split venues.IOW union still retains a presence in their current locales.

Last edited: