West Coast Pirates Bid News

Discussion in 'NRL Expansion' started by dimitri, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Billythekid

Billythekid First Grade

I'm not saying these aren't good ideas but they're things that needed to be done back in 2003 not now. Can the ARU afford to take any hits like that?

2. The Great Dane

The Great Dane Juniors

I agree that it should have happened years ago, but they're already going to take massive hits from losing a club and being stuck in a competition that isn't sustainable for the ARU, so they may as well get good results for the massive hits that they're going to take.

3. Perth Red

Perth Red Referee

Be Interesting to see what next Sunday's Perth crowd is, seems to have been a lot less promotion this year, maybe they will ramp it up this week. Just got my tickets and got decent halfway seats so I'm guessing sales are not strong.

4. Perth Red

Perth Red Referee

Hello, I'm The Doctor likes this.
  5. magpie_man

magpie_man Juniors

The single biggest mistake the ARU made was to not get Super Rugby onto FTA television back at the height of the code's popularity in the early 2000's even if it meant a pay-cut.
    They instead took the easy money from subscription television and tried to use their riches as a warchest to target the upper crust of the playing talent in the NRL, weakening the rival Rugby code.
    It didn't work.

6. T-Boon

T-Boon Bench

was there any promotion of this Rabbitohs game in Perth or would you have to be an existing NRL fan to know about it?

7. j5o6hn

j5o6hn Juniors

Not much, plus the fact that it been raining since Friday night ,Sat and pretty well all day today tends to have a depressing effect on the crowd, I don't want to spend 6 bucks for a raincoat in the ground so I watch it on Fox & stay dry & warm.

8. King hit

King hit Juniors

What's the crowd like?

9. T-Boon

T-Boon Bench

That sounds right. I guess the Rabbits want it to feel like a home game and an actual crowd would ruin that.

10. Perth Red

Perth Red Referee

Promotion has been worse this year than any previous. TBH took wife and uncle, spent $180 to get soaked and watch a pretty avg game of rugby league. If it wasn't a rare occurrence I wouldn't be repeating it very often. Nothing going on in terms of game day buzz or events going on around the ground.

DC_fan likes this.
  11. DC_fan

DC_fan Coach

Could be that league fans and officials in Perth know they will not be having their own team to support anytime soon, if ever, and are now showing their displeasure of this.

If the support for the game in Perth dies, then the NRL has no one to blame but themselves for it doing so. They have sat on their fat arses for so long now, not wanting to make a decision about a team in Perth. It support for the game in the west disappears it will be one biggest sporting tragedies to happen in Australian in recent memory.

12. Perth Red

Perth Red Referee

That's def a factor, I used to take 10-12 mates and family but no point now and half arsed about if I'll go myself. If storm weren't playing I'd have probably given it a miss this year given the weather yesterday. You can only lead people up the garden path so many times.

13. DlEHARD

DlEHARD Juniors

ARU just axed the Western Force.

14. adamkungl

adamkungl Immortal

And the NRL will do exactly nothing in response lol

15. taipan

taipan Coach

Yep in short.
    "The ARU board has announced the western Force will be cut from the Super rugby next season.
    After months of ongoing speculation,the ARU has won its arbitration case against Rugby WA and said it would' discontinue the Western Force Super Rugby licence.
    Our immediate concern is to support the individuals at the western Force through these difficult circumstances and we will deploy various ARU management staff to WA to provide assistance to players and staff.
    Clyne and Pulver will hold a press conference at 5pm".

PS bring cucumber snadwiches,Pimms,and caviar to the conference, unable to provide food and drinks due cash restrictions.
    And we thought ditching the Reds was a debacle.You could have had a Tv mini series with all the drama and time involved in this mess.

toomuchsoup likes this.
  16. King hit

King hit Juniors

I feel sorry for the Western Force, for Rugby in Australia and for the people in Western Australia. Western Australia is a rugby outpost in Australia as there have been Perth juniors in the schoolboy rugby system in Australia and have had some born and bred Western Australians make the Wallaby team over the years. Even though Western Australia is an AFL state there are plenty of people there who really enjoy both codes of Rugby and now they won't have any to watch on a regular basis. I've been to Perth and there was a bit of Rugby stuff around. Would've much rather kept the Force then the Rebels in Melbourne where Rugby is an oasis surrounded by the monster that is AFL.

On a positive note hope this gets the Perth NRL bid up and running even stronger.

17. LineBall

LineBall Juniors

There couldn't be a better time for the NRL to move to Perth now could it. Imagine whoever owns NIB stadium will be keen for full time tenant during Winter.

flippikat likes this.
  18. Foreign Legion

Foreign Legion Bench

But just like the super rugby no one will watch it

19. RL The greatest game

RL The greatest game First Grade

The ARL commission lack ambition and a majority of NRL clubs are so poorly run that they have a huge fear of another club entering the comp.

Foreign Legion likes this.
  20. AyiosYiorgos

AyiosYiorgos First Grade

yeah they would rather their club succeed and the comp fail, need to learn to give a little bit back..