What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Australia expected to win licenece in NRL by end of year

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...l-by-end-of-year/story-e6frexnr-1226406338001
Western Australia expected to win licenece in NRL by end of year

Glen Quartermain
The Sunday Telegraph
June 24, 2012 12:00AM

WESTERN Australia is expected to win a licence in an expanded NRL before the end of the year.

The WA Rugby League bid, which will unveil a new logo at a launch on Wednesday, is understood to be central to the new Australian Rugby League Commission plan to expand the competition from as early as 2015.

Mining entrepreneur Tony Sage, who owns Perth Glory in the A-League, has also expressed interest in running a Perth-based NRL franchise.

Expansion is linked to a new NRL TV rights deal, likely to be worth more than $1 billion, which was expected to be locked in by early next month.

But the formation of the new commission and the departure of long-time NRL boss David Gallop has meant that date has been pushed back till early September.

Other bid teams include Papua New Guinea, Central Queensland, Brisbane Bombers, Western Corridor, Central Coast, and a New Zealand Rugby League-backed Wellington or Christchurch.

WARL CEO John Sackson and bid chairman Richard Campbell had a phone hook-up with NRL interim chief Shane Mattiske and director of league integration and game development Andrew Hill on Thursday. While he remained tight-lipped on the WARL launch on Wednesday, Sackson said the meeting was "positive" and the NRL "identified WA as a priority development market".

It is understood 2015 is the earliest the NRL will consider expanding its competition.

Sackson has said any new franchise would need 18 months to two years to establish a playing list, culture and membership base before playing its first official game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The story is about the work of the WARL and they still run with a photo of Sage and Elias. Frickwits!

The interesting point is that if they are expanding and it's a part of the TV deal they must be talking a ninth game, which means an 18th team will also be included and surely it will have to be given the green light at the same time as Perth so both new clubs are given the same time to prepare. So the other bids should get their shit together quick smart.

PaddyBoy

Juniors
The interesting point is that if they are expanding and it's a part of the TV deal they must be talking a ninth game, which means an 18th team will also be included and surely it will have to be given the green light at the same time as Perth so both new clubs are given the same time to prepare. So the other bids should get their shit together quick smart.

Gallop told the bids to stop spending money, so I guess they've decided.

Perth Red

Post Whore
WA and Brisbane2 are nailed on imo. Just a matter of when rather than if. Not sure where it leaves the Bears as I can see CQ continuing with their efforts after this round of expansion for future admission and then PNG/NZ2 may well come into play.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Grant pretty much said the same and gave an indication that they would be seeking bids for specific regions

That doesn't mean they've made their decision. They also said they've never actually asked for bids AT ALL. So you can't read into anything they say.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No they haven't and they won't imo. They will pick the two regions they want to expand into, WA and Brisbane and look at the two bids in each of those areas and then pick one from each based on who they think offers the better outcomes. Hopefully that will be the WA Reds and the Western Corridor bid.

The Bears mongs will tell you that Gallop said they should be in too. "Gallop said"... is the worst argument in the history of RL.

Perth Red

Post Whore
What Gallop said is irrelevant now really. He had his chance in 2011 to expand the comp and blew it through lack of vision and belief in what the game could deliver.

It will go the way I have outlined above imo and sadly that means the Bears, CQ and PNG have cat in hells chance of a spot. I think the fact the Bears have dropped off the radar in the last 6 months is very telling and wjhilst I applaud the CQ enthusiasm there is no way they will expand with 2 Q'land teams and as one of the expansions will def be a Brisbane bid it leaves them without a hope. I can see CQ in next time there is expansion though as it would pretty much fulfill all the necessary clubs in Q'land with 5 then. At that time though I can see a NZ2 bid being very favourable so where that leaves the CC/Bears is hard to say. Mind you the Bears have threatend to pull the plug on the CC if they don;t get in this time so it mght be a mute issue for the next time.

Goddo

Bench
It will be Perth and Brisbane this time around, next time it will probably be 2 of Christchurch / Wellington / Adelaide / Sunshine Coast / Central Queensland. If the Bears want back in, I'd suggest they try next time in a place the game needs a team.

flippikat

Bench
It will be Perth and Brisbane this time around, next time it will probably be 2 of Christchurch / Wellington / Adelaide / Sunshine Coast / Central Queensland. If the Bears want back in, I'd suggest they try next time in a place the game needs a team.

I'm thinking this is spot-on.

It'll be a tough choice in the NEXT expansion round after this one.

Queensland may get another side - either Sunshine Coast or Central Qld or West Corridor (if they don't get the nod this time). That will bring the state up to 5 NRL teams.

If that is the first choice, then the 2nd expansion team could come down to a choice between NZ2 & Adelaide. Very different markets with contrasting pros & cons.

Knightmare

Coach
:lol:

Yeah, let's admit Ipswich or the Bombers because one media organisation wants it. Remember back in the 90's when a certain media organisation wanted to cull/ merge all but a few Sydney teams in the name of "progress"? That worked out really well, didn't it! The people of Adelaide turned out in DROVES to support their new team, with far more fans than any of those silly old Sydney clubs going down the gurgler like Easts, Souths, Balmain, Manly or Norths! Nobody outside inner city Sydney ever supported those teams anyway! Why should all 500 of them get to continue riding the bus to all their teams' home games at dilapidated home grounds with grass hills, then sink Tooheys Old at the Leagues Club afterwards like they had done every Winter weekend since they started attending matches in 1955, when there were BILLIONS of people in China who couldn't wait to see a Sharks game live and watch their hero Andrew Ettingshausen run around? It turned out there was even enough support in the Hunter for a second team! Who was the stupid, short sighted person who thought it wise to kill them off?

Plastic clubs with SFA support who will lose money faster than a drunken sailor. I can just imagine the amazement of some of the posters on here when/ if either bid gets the nod ahead of the Bears and then, 1 year in, they are pulling less at Suncorp than the Roar for a regular season game and going the same way as the Hunter Mariners. Or, more pointedly, the mighty South Queensland Crushers...

No guaranteed money or support- just promises along the lines of "Let us in, then we'll give you the money and the fans!" If the IC is dumb enough to fall for that, I've got a coathanger shaped bridge they might be interested in buying. I am still yet to see any sound logic as to why we should admit some half-arsed, fly by night, $2 shelf company with ZERO fans over an established bid like the Bears with a stadium, access to a region 10 times the population size of Ipswich, sponsors paid up and ready to go and thousands of paid up members ready to support the team. Or would nobody watch the Bears on telly? I suppose, after all, every single person who votes for Bears games (and gets them aired) on Chooseday Night Football is a sad old delusional Bears fan within a stones' throw of NSO or Bluetongue...

"But...........but...........too many NSW teams!!! :crazy:" Notice how many people still regard 1994 as the games' best ever season with the most widespread support? Like now, there were 16 teams in the comp. Unlike now, 14 of those teams (Canberra and Brisbane being the only exceptions) were based in NSW. Thank f**k Super Media Organisation saved us with their "vision" or the game would be dead by now, with all those NSW teams crowded together ruining it for everybody! Nobody outside NSW and Brisbane wanted to watch the game back then, did they?

It amazes me how many people think one of the Qld logos on paper is a certainty at being awarded an NRL licence over the Bears because the newspapers from one media source continue telling them it's a fact. Interesting that it's the same media organisation who gifted us with their "vision" back in the 90's, isn't it? If they printed stories about ET making guest appearances in Beijing with a picture of some dude with his head Photoshopped on top of it shaking hands with the Chinese Olympic team, you'd find enough people on here claiming it was fact...

Last edited:
:lol:

Yeah, let's admit Ipswich or the Bombers because one media organisation wants it. Remember back in the 90's when a certain media organisation wanted to cull/ merge all but a few Sydney teams in the name of "progress"? That worked out really well, didn't it! The people of Adelaide turned out in DROVES to support their new team, with far more fans than any of those silly old Sydney clubs going down the gurgler like Easts, Souths, Balmain, Manly or Norths! Nobody outside inner city Sydney ever supported those teams anyway! Why should all 500 of them get to continue riding the bus to all their teams' home games at dilapidated home grounds with grass hills, then sink Tooheys Old at the Leagues Club afterwards like they had done every Winter weekend since they started attending matches in 1955, when there were BILLIONS of people in China who couldn't wait to see a Sharks game live and watch their hero Andrew Ettingshausen run around? It turned out there was even enough support in the Hunter for a second team! Who was the stupid, short sighted person who thought it wise to kill them off?

Plastic clubs with SFA support who will lose money faster than a drunken sailor. I can just imagine the amazement of some of the posters on here when/ if either bid gets the nod ahead of the Bears and then, 1 year in, they are pulling less at Suncorp than the Roar for a regular season game and going the same way as the Hunter Mariners. Or, more pointedly, the mighty South Queensland Crushers...

No guaranteed money or support- just promises along the lines of "Let us in, then we'll give you the money and the fans!" If the IC is dumb enough to fall for that, I've got a coathanger shaped bridge they might be interested in buying. I am still yet to see any sound logic as to why we should admit some half-arsed, fly by night, $2 shelf company with ZERO fans over an established bid like the Bears with a stadium, access to a region 10 times the population size of Ipswich, sponsors paid up and ready to go and thousands of paid up members ready to support the team. Or would nobody watch the Bears on telly? I suppose, after all, every single person who votes for Bears games (and gets them aired) on Chooseday Night Football is a sad old delusional Bears fan within a stones' throw of NSO or Bluetongue...

"But...........but...........too many NSW teams!!! :crazy:" Notice how many people still regard 1994 as the games' best ever season with the most widespread support? Like now, there were 16 teams in the comp. Unlike now, 14 of those teams (Canberra and Brisbane being the only exceptions) were based in NSW. Thank f**k Super Media Organisation saved us with their "vision" or the game would be dead by now, with all those NSW teams crowded together ruining it for everybody! Nobody outside NSW and Brisbane wanted to watch the game back then, did they?

It amazes me how many people think one of the Qld logos on paper is a certainty at being awarded an NRL licence over the Bears because the newspapers from one media source continue telling them it's a fact. Interesting that it's the same media organisation who gifted us with their "vision" back in the 90's, isn't it? If they printed stories about ET making guest appearances in Beijing with a picture of some dude with his head Photoshopped on top of it shaking hands with the Chinese Olympic team, you'd find enough people on here claiming it was fact...

Bravo, bravo. Too much sense mate.