What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Australia expected to win licenece in NRL by end of year

And your point is? Actually you can't even get that right! 100k Perth people tuned into SOO, afl usually gets around 180k, nice try though! Your not parra eels by any chance are you? He had an equal inability to quote accurate stats!

Rugby league's premium show piece gets 80k less than a regular season afl game? If we were talking about a regular nrl season game I'd see your point but you can't honestly compare origin to a normal afl season game and then beat your chest about the ratings...

Perth Red

Post Whore
Problem is until recently soo was the only game we got and was advertised! Bit hard to compare anything else.

Spanner in the works

First Grade
I know. Let's have 10 teams in the Sydney/Central Coast region, 10 teams in the Brisbane/Gold Coast region, and not bother with anything else. If you aren't born in NSW or QLD you can't play rugby league either.

Last edited:

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
The only reason I believe WA deserve a shot at a side is because any game that the NRL has taken over there has been treated rather well in regards to crowd numbers. With the Perth Stadium being refurbished as we speak, I would much prefer they get their chance then some othert flog NSW team that died on their arses, thinking they can get another chance and actually survive.

If the Bears are so desperate for a team, pry the licence from Souffs cold dead fingers.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Quoting misleading tv ratings to try and justify a waste of money in the West.

It's a shame you think so poorly of our game, if I didn't know better I would think you are a worried Perth AFL fan.
Soccer, RU, Netball, Hockey,Basketball, hell even baseball and water polo!, have all been able to create a market in Perth's professional sports scene. It's a shame you have no faith in our great game to do the same.

I have every confidence that the West Coast Pirates will become Perth's 3rd biggest sports club behind the Eagles and Dockers. Call that a waste of money if you like, me I call it progress!

Perth Red

Post Whore
doesn;t sound like it to me.

Just had a look at some TV stats - Perth viewing figures for non WA teams

Rd 4 FTA Ch7 live Carlton v Essendon 58,000
Rd4 FTA Ch9 delayed Canterbury v Newcastle 20,000

Seems we are closer than you think! Our RL audience will only grow with our own team, decent TV coverage and much higher profile for the game in WA. Makes me wonder why you wouldn't want to see that? Only reason I can think is you are either a Dockers/Eagles or Force fan. Which is it?

Fieldsguy

Juniors
doesn;t sound like it to me.

Just had a look at some TV stats - Perth viewing figures for non WA teams

Rd 4 FTA Ch7 live Carlton v Essendon 58,000
Rd4 FTA Ch9 delayed Canterbury v Newcastle 20,000

Seems we are closer than you think! Our RL audience will only grow with our own team, decent TV coverage and much higher profile for the game in WA. Makes me wonder why you wouldn't want to see that? Only reason I can think is you are either a Dockers/Eagles or Force fan. Which is it?
Your very good at showing/making up tv stats, but that means jack shit when it comes to reality. People in the West are not interested in league.

It is only you and a few expansionists that want it.

Your pushing shit up hill if you think it will every be successful there. :p

Flapper

First Grade
Your very good at showing/making up tv stats, but that means jack shit when it comes to reality. People in the West are not interested in league.

What complete utter f**king rubbish. As a former resident of Perth you're talking fair out your backside. Will it overtake AFL? Of course not, but it will sail past the Glory and probably be equal to the Force, if not slightly ahead due to the Force's inability to play their chosen football code with any competency.

All it needs is time and momentum.

innerwestrabbit

Juniors

From memory the western reds seemed to get pretty good support. They were taken out of the comp along with Adelaide to create the Storm.. I'm know expert when it comes to WA rugby league. But you can't put you head in the sand and say it won't work.

dimitri

First Grade
From memory the western reds seemed to get pretty good support. They were taken out of the comp along with Adelaide to create the Storm.. I'm know expert when it comes to WA rugby league. But you can't put you head in the sand and say it won't work.

To be a little bit more specific they were omitted from the competition as part of the negotiations between ARL and News LTD to form one competition.

As part of this, the ARL agreed to close up the GC Chargers and SQ Crushers. News LTD agreed to close-up Adelaide Rams, Western Reds and Hunter Mariners.

News LTD said that a Melbourne Team was non-negotiable.

At the time of course there were also 6 ARL sydney clubs that merged.

Perth Red

Post Whore

yes he can and is doing. the fact it is making him look like a tool seems to be passing him by! Smacks of ParraEels to me!

GAZF

First Grade

Off topic, but how did you spell "no" wrong?

My two cents is:

West Coast Pirates
Brisbane 2 (probably the Bombers)
Central Qld Bid

A Sydney team will die.

I don't see a 2nd NZ team making NRL any stronger.
Why?
The Warriors have a whole country to supposedly draw from, and since 1995 should have been a Broncos like entity making the Top 8 each season.
And gives NZ players more opportunities. Ah...so what you're telling me is they won't relocate to Australia to play for the other 15-17 Australian based NRL teams? What rot!

flamin

Juniors
Why?
The Warriors have a whole country to supposedly draw from, and since 1995 should have been a Broncos like entity making the Top 8 each season.
And gives NZ players more opportunities. Ah...so what you're telling me is they won't relocate to Australia to play for the other 15-17 Australian based NRL teams? What rot!

Yes I think it's pretty fair to say a lot don't want to come to Australia and will prefer to stay in NZ and play RU. The Warriors have been perennial under-performers but since the beginning of the NYC there are now legitimate pathways from the junior level into the first grade squad. And have you seen their NYC teams? They dominate. They've won the premiership the last 2 seasons. A 2nd NZ team should double the amount of opportunities for the Kiwi kids to play NRL, creating huge benefits to the international game.

Ultimately a 2nd NZ team wont happen this time round, but it is inevitable, especially once the Warriors win their premiership.

flippikat

Bench
Why?

Don't kid yourself.

The Warriors badly bungled their junior development program for 10 or so years. NZ born players still left to Australia at about the same rate as they always did because the team was stacked with Aussie journeymen.

Only now are we seeing the fruits of a junior team that's REALLY taking advantage of the talent pool here - and home grown players in all positions can be found in the squad - after dominating the under-20s, it'll just take maturity & good guidance for them to climb the ladder in first grade (these kids are still learning about that level of intensity)

A second NZ team will broaden the base of the game - especially if it's based outside of Auckland.

Latest posts