What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Western Corridor NRL bid

taipan

Referee
You've got to admire their ability to get the best for their code.

Perhaps you should have a look at the new RL headquarters in SA being set up, with State Govt monies.Bearing in mind rl in that State is minuscule.
Your grovelling at the AFL's ability to extract Govt monies, is hardly ground breaking stuff.Unsurprising of course.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Perhaps you should have a look at the new RL headquarters in SA being set up, with State Govt monies.Bearing in mind rl in that State is minuscule.
Your grovelling at the AFL's ability to extract Govt monies, is hardly ground breaking stuff.Unsurprising of course.

Yes I've seen it and at the time it was announced I congratulated everyone involved, its a massive plus for Rl in one of our weakest states.
Has zero relevance to this though lol. We have a lot to learn and where better to learn from than the people who do it best? I get you hate AFL, I hate Union the same way, but that doesn't stop me looking at what they do well and wishing we would learn from and replicate their successes.

taipan

Referee
Zero relevance LOL.You being the one who brought up the AWFUL arrangement with Qld govt.

Hate AFL? Hate the administrators who use large brooms, their media who spend time serving it up to the NRL giving prominence in their papers, and some of their rusted on fans who live in a bubble.
You live thousands of kms away ,and pretend to know the views of NRL fans in Sydney on a week to week basis.Ignoring weather ,traffic ,and scheduling.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No somebody posted an article on it, I merely made comment on how well they go about their business to realise these opportunities. Shame you are so blinkered you cant see how we could learn from what they do. Plenty of examples we could learn from. here's another, from the sport I hate! If the NRL ever decide to have a club in perth they should be manoeuvring to get the same for RL here. Currently NRLWA is situated in two shty offices tucked under the old West stand at nib stadium whilst every other sport in the city is operating out of state of the art facilities paid for predominantly by the WA govt.

The Premier Colin Barnett and the Sports Minister Terry Waldron have officially opened the new West Australian Rugby Centre. Mr Barnett says the $17 million facility at Perry Lakes in Mt Claremont includes an administration centre for RugbyWA and the Western Force. The centre also features indoor training facilities, a gymnasium and a sports medicine clinic.

65193_lrg.png

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-07-14/new-rugby-centre/2795386

Oh look we are back to rain in Sydney and the million an done excuses for sht crowds lol

taipan

Referee
No somebody posted an article on it, I merely made comment on how well they go about their business to realise these opportunities. Shame you are so blinkered you cant see how we could learn from what they do. Plenty of examples we could learn from. here's another, from the sport I hate! If the NRL ever decide to have a club in perth they should be manoeuvring to get the same for RL here. Currently NRLWA is situated in two shty offices tucked under the old West stand at nib stadium whilst every other sport in the city is operating out of state of the art facilities paid for predominantly by the WA govt.

The Premier Colin Barnett and the Sports Minister Terry Waldron have officially opened the new West Australian Rugby Centre. Mr Barnett says the $17 million facility at Perry Lakes in Mt Claremont includes an administration centre for RugbyWA and the Western Force. The centre also features indoor training facilities, a gymnasium and a sports medicine clinic.

65193_lrg.png

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-07-14/new-rugby-centre/2795386

Oh look we are back to rain in Sydney and the million an done excuses for sht crowds lol

When the next NRL game is played in Perth,and its squirting down with rain, and they get an ordinary crowd,despite few traffic problems like Sydney,i'll be thinking of you.Your response will be something to behold.

If the Force somehow get the flick, the WA union building will be rather under utilised.

The SA facility is being provided ,despite not having a NRL team .
And there's a small crowd at Auckland ,and guess who woulda thought, it's p*ssing down rain.PR ,loves to take his family out in the rain and watch sport and get wet.It's in his DNA.

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
When the next NRL game is played in Perth,and its squirting down with rain, and they get an ordinary crowd,despite few traffic problems like Sydney,i'll be thinking of you.Your response will be something to behold.

If the Force somehow get the flick, the WA union building will be rather under utilised.

The SA facility is being provided ,despite not having a NRL team .
And there's a small crowd at Auckland ,and guess who woulda thought, it's p*ssing down rain.PR ,loves to take his family out in the rain and watch sport and get wet.It's in his DNA.

But suburban grounds are the best!!!

No roof cover, sitting on a muddy hill. Thats REAL Rugby League....

taipan

Referee
But suburban grounds are the best!!!

No roof cover, sitting on a muddy hill. Thats REAL Rugby League....

No their not.
Simply suburban grounds need upgrading to get bigger crowds.That's obvious.

In any case Allianz in the city and ANZ at Homebush both non suburban grounds can't crack crowds in wet weather.No hills.Most fans not under cover.No hills at Canberra crap crowds to date.

You need cover and you'll get better crowds.And better scheduling.

taipan

Referee
Oh look,it's more sht about rain and poor nrl crowds from the dribbler. Wrong thread mate

Oh the delicious irony.This coming from whining central,who has as much clue about Sydney and its environs, as I do parasailing.
You bum sniff all the time the AFL achievements in securing funding for infrastructure and in your true tunnel eyed Pommy fashion,ignore the new Parramatta Stadium being built, the new refurbished and rectangular ANZ planned and improvements to the SFS.You ignore Govts financiall backing for Townsville.You ignore the new centre in Far Nth Qld courtesy of the Cowboys for Indigenous kids.
You ignore the $45m the state Govt has set aside for club infrastructure funding of which Brookvale will take advantage.Even the Titan's stadium was specifically there for the team.
Blame the prior admins ,the SL war.Sh*t is happening, should have happened before, but at least it's happening.And with better scheduling better stadiums with cover there is a far better chance to secure bigger crowds.
Here endeth the 300th lesson to a brick wall.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
No their not.
Simply suburban grounds need upgrading to get bigger crowds.That's obvious.

In any case Allianz in the city and ANZ at Homebush both non suburban grounds can't crack crowds in wet weather.No hills.Most fans not under cover.No hills at Canberra crap crowds to date.

You need cover and you'll get better crowds.And better scheduling.

ok, so you just need to convince the government that it is their interest to spend $billions building 9 stadiums across the city when they could easily just do 3 for all of the teams to share.

So simple, im surprised it hasnt happened already.................

taipan

Referee
ok, so you just need to convince the government that it is their interest to spend $billions building 9 stadiums across the city when they could easily just do 3 for all of the teams to share.

So simple, im surprised it hasnt happened already.................

Never stated it was in the interest of Govts to spend huge sums on suburban grounds.That will be up to the individual clubs and the NRL to secure funding.It is in the long term interest of getting crowds which clubs would or should be fully aware..

If Sydney had the transport infrastructure as say Melbourne and was not spread out nearly half as wide as Melb again, I could handle 3 purpose built grounds.With no ground more than 40 minutes away at worst.

It's a nonsense with say a team like Manly with no rail ,a congested Spit Junction and Harbour Bridge,to expect to go to ANZ on a night match with families,under the current transport fiasco.

Sydney transport so simple, easily fixed, do it in a jiffy.Can't even get the M6 organised for starters.

I knew how long it took to get to ANZ stadium on G/F day(Sunday) from Woolooware by bus.It's a friggin joke.No motorways from Shire to Homebush,just sh*tty suburban roads(King Georges for example).
All high rise being built everywhere and the roads still the same old.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Back on Topic! Ipswich fire up at nrl stagnation

"The expansion market of rugby league is being punished, and that is the fans and supporters, and we as clubs can only come into the competition at their invitation" Johnson says.

"Clubs like our Western Corridor side need to be brought in because we will create new markets and expand the current market.

"When you have people knowing there is a game at Suncorp Stadium every Friday night they will get into that regular pattern of going to football.

Greenberg has said that "a whole pile" of the 16 NRL clubs are going broke and that expansion would not occur while that continued, an argument Johnson rejects.

"They talk about clubs going broke, well they will continue to go broke if they follow the model they currently have," he said.

"You can't say we won't expand the game because clubs are going broke. That is the wrong way of looking at it.

"That is just a defeatist attitude and not a visionary business plan.

Johnson is a big believer that no NRL club has a God-given right to exist, and that hard decisions must be made with those that continually fail to measure up.

"The difficult conversation to have is that the current NRL clubs see themselves as having a sense of entitlement to be funded by the game, because they are the public face of the game," he said.

"I am not a proponent of traditional clubs being kicked out for no valid reason.

"They need to be given the chance to succeed and given the KPIs of professionalism, player development, crowds, marketing and the like…and supported for a period if time.

"If they don't meet their KPIs then some hard decisions need to be made."

https://www.qt.com.au/news/nrl-dithering-on-expansion-is-hurting-the-game-say/2947184/

flippikat

Bench
Spot on, Perth Red. There's great opportunities within league heartland (yes, there is a league heartland outside NSW) and even outside the heartland of the game that are constantly being turned down for expansion spots just because the league want to prop up an oversaturated market.

Diesel

Referee
Lack of expansion is really starting to hurt.

New teams bring new fans, new viewers to tv, more fans buying merchandise and more rivalries.

Greenberg and John Grunt are examples of what's wrong with RL

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Never stated it was in the interest of Govts to spend huge sums on suburban grounds.That will be up to the individual clubs and the NRL to secure funding.It is in the long term interest of getting crowds which clubs would or should be fully aware..

So basically it wont happen, and the NRL will be stuck in run-down suburban grounds talking about how good it would be if we had nice ones.

Sounds like a great plan....

If Sydney had the transport infrastructure as say Melbourne and was not spread out nearly half as wide as Melb again, I could handle 3 purpose built grounds.With no ground more than 40 minutes away at worst.

It's a nonsense with say a team like Manly with no rail ,a congested Spit Junction and Harbour Bridge,to expect to go to ANZ on a night match with families,under the current transport fiasco.

If its impossible for people to get out of Manly then why is it meant to be easier for people to get into Manly for the game??

At least when the game is somewhere else, the congestion is limited to thepeople who actually live there. Not the thousands of fans trying to get in.

If its fine to leave entire states without a team (WA, SA) and entire cities with only one (Brisbane, Melbourne), i dont know why we think every suburn in Syndey needs its own team....

Sydney transport so simple, easily fixed, do it in a jiffy.Can't even get the M6 organised for starters.

I knew how long it took to get to ANZ stadium on G/F day(Sunday) from Woolooware by bus.It's a friggin joke.No motorways from Shire to Homebush,just sh*tty suburban roads(King Georges for example).
All high rise being built everywhere and the roads still the same old.

Ok, so some fans are dont come to the games and just go to the local Leagues Club instead (literally describing what happens now)....

Every location will inconvenience someone. The question is: how do we maximise crowds? Answer: its ok to piss off 1, if you can gain 10 somewhere else.

Latest posts