What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What a rort!

Spot On

Coach
So just in summary Storm and Cows fans have no problem with this but everyone else is rightfully pissed off????

Season ending injury to Smith and Thurston in this "charity" match may have both sets of supporters changing their tune very quickly.

King hit

Coach
There is no other sport in the world that can see the negative in everything.

The tele has whipped a frenzy and mouth breathers have got their collective panties in a bunch.

People are against it because it's letting a club go over it's salary by a substantial amount and is lining the pockets of 2 men who as good as they are, are teachers pets. It's also exposed a loophole and more clubs could possibly in the future be lining up do to the same thing.

That's why people are against it

Spot On

Coach

The tele has whipped a frenzy and mouth breathers have got their collective panties in a bunch.

Do you regard the management of the NRL as positive?

Are you happy with how the game is being run from grassroots footy (explain to the NRL what that is) all the way to the top?

Willie Ray

Bench
Smith won't like all this negative attention as it might make him appear selfish and Thurston will just cry "conspiracy."

Chimp

Bench
So instead of getting a third party to pay some cash in a brown paper bag, or via a 2nd or 3rd contract, you arrange a testimonial game and get the 'sponsor' to lump a load of money into that event, which then makes its way through to the player.

I don't see any problems with that ;)

kbw

Bench
traditionally its a dinner not a game and its done at the end of a players last season as they retire.

But this is more about control than a testimonial for Smith and Thurston. Its about QLD RL saying look folks we do what ever we want and stuff the NRL.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
People are against it because it's letting a club go over it's salary by a substantial amount and is lining the pockets of 2 men who as good as they are, are teachers pets. It's also exposed a loophole and more clubs could possibly in the future be lining up do to the same thing.

That's why people are against it

I just cannot comprehend remotely how anyone does not get this.

Have 17 games for them and blow them after the game if you like. But they should NOT get money for it.

mave

Coach

"Mouth breathers"......I lol'd

_Johnsy

Referee
i signed 2 contracts the other day when I got a new car. One for my records and one for there's. Can't see a big issue with multiple contracts really.

Can we get back on topic? I'd love talking about what happens 10yrs ago.

Back to monetizing a trial game.
Stormwarrior has to be a kiwi, you cannot be this stupid, not even if you tried. You sign one finance contract, and a contract with the motor car company for the supply (& additional options) of the car. If you can't seperate these two different contracts for two seperate services, you need some professional help bro.

However it would explain why you don't see the issue with this NRL sanctioned concept.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Stormwarrior has to be a kiwi, you cannot be this stupid, not even if you tried. You sign one finance contract, and a contract with the motor car company for the supply (& additional options) of the car. If you can't seperate these two different contracts for two seperate services, you need some professional help bro.

However it would explain why you don't see the issue with this NRL sanctioned concept.

Its quite hilarious how crazy his comments are.

Its like he is trying to one up himself.

moffla

Bench
Genuine question. If the two players in question donate their earnings to a charity, how would people feel about it?

I understand the uproar, but let's face it, JT and Smith ain't leaving their respectIve clubs so this testimonial isn't being used for player retention.

I agree it could certainly be played during the regular season and pump it up as a celebratory match

I could handle JT getting a testimonal but not Smith.

After the way that dick head carried on when McKinnon got hurt showed what a shit stain he is.

mave

Coach
Genuine question. If the two players in question donate their earnings to a charity, how would people feel about it?

I understand the uproar, but let's face it, JT and Smith ain't leaving their respectIve clubs so this testimonial isn't being used for player retention.

I agree it could certainly be played during the regular season and pump it up as a celebratory match

It isn't about players potentially leaving the club for more $ elsewhere.

It is about the fact clubs could potentially put an offer to individual players for "x" amount less, but promise them the gate of some bullshit game.

It has the potential to be a massive cap rort, but only NRL sanctioned.

carcharias

Immortal

Ha

Yeah... as if they'd get nothing.

But if by some miracle that happens I'd be ok with it.