What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are our chances?

Seoul Dragon

Juniors
I think it is OK to be optimistic but you may want to view our inclusions/improvements in the context of what the other clubs are doing to upgrade and improve their own rosters and performance.
The things to consider objectively are:
1. Our roster improvements - Hunt for me being the most significant.
You also have to factor in the loss of Dugan, Packer and Thompson.
versus what the other clubs are bringing to the table in 2018.
Inglis back at Souths fully fit
Thurston back to the Cowboys.
Easts - Tedesco + Cronk on board
Parra - Gutherson back, Moses on the rise
Canterbury - with Pay at the helm, they will be a different proposition in 2018.
We couldn't beat them even when they were down and out.
Newcastle and Balmain will both be much more competitive.
Expect a better performance from the Warriors.
and then there is Melbourne and a Brisbane side with a revamped forward pack.
2. The draw - in my opinion, much harder than the last 2 years
3. The coaching regime - if it does not improve significantly this year, it doesn't matter who we put out on the field on match day.

So there are still a lot of questions to be answered for 2018.

Thanks for a logical assessment.

We can't control what other teams do, only what we do and how we respond to the other teams, which obviously comes back to player/ team performance and importantly how the coach prepares/selects/motivates the team and the game plan strategies and tactics he devises .......

Crush

Coach
I think it is OK to be optimistic but you may want to view our inclusions/improvements in the context of what the other clubs are doing to upgrade and improve their own rosters and performance.
The things to consider objectively are:
1. Our roster improvements - Hunt for me being the most significant.
You also have to factor in the loss of Dugan, Packer and Thompson.
versus what the other clubs are bringing to the table in 2018.
Inglis back at Souths fully fit
Thurston back to the Cowboys.
Easts - Tedesco + Cronk on board
Parra - Gutherson back, Moses on the rise
Canterbury - with Pay at the helm, they will be a different proposition in 2018.
We couldn't beat them even when they were down and out.
Newcastle and Balmain will both be much more competitive.
Expect a better performance from the Warriors.
and then there is Melbourne and a Brisbane side with a revamped forward pack.
2. The draw - in my opinion, much harder than the last 2 years
3. The coaching regime - if it does not improve significantly this year, it doesn't matter who we put out on the field on match day.

So there are still a lot of questions to be answered for 2018.
The loss of Dugan is a blessing. He stifled our attack IMO.
Packer was OK but has been adequately replaced by Graham.
Thompson will be missed I agree, he was a leader and an enforcer, we need Sims to step up here.
I also agree that most teams have improved their roster so we will have to be very very good to have success this year. I am confident that we will be one of the best teams in the comp.
I hope that Raiders and Sharks struggle, I think that they may.....

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Our chances are Buckleys and none. When the team falls in a heap the Management have no
strategy apart from
re-signing a hopeless coach. Most other Clubs would appoint a Coaching Director or new Coach.

possm

Coach
Our chances are Buckleys and none. When the team falls in a heap the Management have no
strategy apart from
re-signing a hopeless coach. Most other Clubs would appoint a Coaching Director or new Coach.
I think you are being a little harsh even though I have absolutely no confidence in Mary improving his performance, I do have confidence in the young guns who will come through and replace poor performing outside backs.

I believe Nightingale will be one of the first to see reserve grade selection and if Macdonald and Aitken don't show drastic improvement on last years performance they will also find themselves being replaced by young guns who are killing it in reserve grade.

We have the forwards to match it with the best in the competition.
We have the halves to match it with the best in the competition.
And we have the young depth to take up the slack if the backs don't match it with the best in the competition.

My tip is for Lomax to be a permanent feature in the Dragons backline by mind season. I also expect other young guns to replace those backs who lose form or who just are not up to standard this season.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
I think you are being a little harsh even though I have absolutely no confidence in Mary improving his performance, I do have confidence in the young guns who will come through and replace poor performing outside backs.

I believe Nightingale will be one of the first to see reserve grade selection and if Macdonald and Aitken don't show drastic improvement on last years performance they will also find themselves being replaced by young guns who are killing it in reserve grade.

We have the forwards to match it with the best in the competition.
We have the halves to match it with the best in the competition.
And we have the young depth to take up the slack if the backs don't match it with the best in the competition.

My tip is for Lomax to be a permanent feature in the Dragons backline by mind season. I also expect other young guns to replace those backs who lose form or who just are not up to standard this season.
Don't be surprised POSSM if LOMAX is in the run on side very early ...........

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Hate being on the negative side of the ledger but looking at our backline barring Widdop and Hunt and an aging Graham in the forwards, unfortunately Im just not allowing myself to get excited...weve lost Dugan, Thommo and to a lesser extent Packer and the only real acquisition is Hunt imo which is an enormous boost to our halves admittedly but seriously I dont think its enough for this year.....and of course we still have a coach that is void of instilling any heart to this outfit

Frank Facer

First Grade
strategy apart from
I recall us falling into a heap over the second half of Bennett's last season here. When the media asked Bennett what the solution was, Bennett had nothing to say. A similar thing happened to Newcastle the last year that they had the so called best coach in history.

possm

Coach
I recall us falling into a heap over the second half of Bennett's last season here. When the media asked Bennett what the solution was, Bennett had nothing to say. A similar thing happened to Newcastle the last year that they had the so called best coach in history.

Bennett's decision to move on had a big effect on the squad. Gasnier announced his intention to retire shortly after Boyd declared he was also moving on. We had quite a few players in SOO which seemed to be the straw that broke the camel's back.

BennyV

Referee
Considering there were players not being paid, plus what happened to Alex McKinnon, the fall at Newcastle is very much understandable.

Crush

Coach
I think we should keep this thread going all year and see who has bragging rights at seasons end!
My favourite so far is good old possm saying the best thing Mary could do is play Aitken, McDonald, nighty in early rounds because if he does Mary will be sacked early on.
Well Possm, Aitken and Macdonald at least are playing pretty well. Nighty not so much but will bounce back.
Can't wait to see where we are come end of year. I want the posters of negative and positive persuasions to put their hand up and take their medicine!

I think we should keep this thread going all year and see who has bragging rights at seasons end!
My favourite so far is good old possm saying the best thing Mary could do is play Aitken, McDonald, nighty in early rounds because if he does Mary will be sacked early on.
Well Possm, Aitken and Macdonald at least are playing pretty well. Nighty not so much but will bounce back.
Can't wait to see where we are come end of year. I want the posters of negative and positive persuasions to put their hand up and take their medicine!
Hey Crush
I will gladly "take my medicine" if McGregor proves me wrong.
So far Ben Hunt has been the catalyst for the improved performances.
In the meantime enjoying some great attacking football.
We have seen more clean breaks in the first 3 rounds than we have over the last 3 seasons put together under McGregor.
BTW I absolutely loved Blocka Roach on Sunday constantly referring to us as "The Saints"
As a traditionalist it turned back the clock - just great.

Crush

Coach
Hey Crush
I will gladly "take my medicine" if McGregor proves me wrong.
So far Ben Hunt has been the catalyst for the improved performances.
In the meantime enjoying some great attacking football.
We have seen more clean breaks in the first 3 rounds than we have over the last 3 seasons put together under McGregor.
BTW I absolutely loved Blocka Roach on Sunday constantly referring to us as "The Saints"
As a traditionalist it turned back the clock - just great.
And I too will take my medicine mate!
I also enjoyed Blocka's commentary. Loved how he said JDB was the best defender in the comp.
BTW, its got nothing to do with McGregor that we are winning.

ALSGI

Bench
Haha, funny reading mate.
Keep giving this thread a bump.

I’m sure most negative posters would be happy to eat some humble pie if it meant Dragons did well. But if they’re right come round 25........look out, they’ll be happy giving you a serve.

Atm, our chances are fair to good. We’re the only team listed with no injuries this week, and that will shape our season more than anything else I think, for better or worse.

Last year Dufty got a start when Aitken was injured. Mann is a great back up from 1-7 for example.

We’re looking great atm, long may it last.

Crush

Coach
Haha, funny reading mate.
Keep giving this thread a bump.

I’m sure most negative posters would be happy to eat some humble pie if it meant Dragons did well. But if they’re right come round 25........look out, they’ll be happy giving you a serve.

Atm, our chances are fair to good. We’re the only team listed with no injuries this week, and that will shape our season more than anything else I think, for better or worse.

Last year Dufty got a start when Aitken was injured. Mann is a great back up from 1-7 for example.

We’re looking great atm, long may it last.
Time will tell!

SBD82

Coach
And I too will take my medicine mate!
I also enjoyed Blocka's commentary. Loved how he said JDB was the best defender in the comp.
BTW, its got nothing to do with McGregor that we are winning.
I can't stand blocker. Probably the worst commentator in the game.

Fox must be really scraping the bottom of the barrel. Half of the posters in here are more articulate.

Life's Good

Coach
Dragons will be right up there. Hunt will have a lot to prove and behind our pack he won't disappoint. Widdop will win the Daly M player of the year and Dragons will finish top 4.
Dufty will be a revelation in attack along with Nene Macdonald who will play centre with Mann outside of him on the wing.
2018 is the year we bounce back mother....ers!!!
One of your best. Let’s hope it stays that way.