What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are our chances?

ALSGI

Bench
Blocker’s ok, has a good eye for good forwards and has my eternal admiration for his tap on the ref’s head - nothing wrong with reminding the refs it’s not about them.
He’s not the greatest mind in the game, or a great commentator but he’s truer than most and strikes a cord with a lot of fans of the game.
I’d rather him call a game than many others that bullshit their way through with stats, betting and other crao.

Life's Good

Coach
Blocker’s ok, has a good eye for good forwards and has my eternal admiration for his tap on the ref’s head - nothing wrong with reminding the refs it’s not about them.
He’s not the greatest mind in the game, or a great commentator but he’s truer than most and strikes a cord with a lot of fans of the game.
I’d rather him call a game than many others that bullshit their way through with stats, betting and other crao.
Sorry mate. He’s sh*t.

Pro Dragons

Juniors
When I started this thread before the season kicked off there were 9 teams on the Tab with shorter odds then us to make the top 8. Going into round four the Tab has us in fourth place behind Roosters $5, Melbourne $5.5, Cowboys $6.50 and Dragons $8.00 to win the Premiership. After us comes a distant Broncos at $15.00 I like to think the Tab and the punters believe James Graham and Ben Hunt aren't going to allow the team to fade away like in previous seasons.
Remember gamble responsibly.

Pro Dragons

Juniors
Tonight the TAB has the Dragons equal favourite to win the competition.
Dragons $5.50
Roosters $5.50
Melbourne $7.50
Warriors $9.00
Nth Qld $9.00

This is a great side, I could not believe at the start of the season we were outsiders to make the 8. When I looked at the side on paper I thought am I missing something how could this team not be in the 8. Plenty of so called league experts thought we would struggle to make finals. I know it's a long way to go but people are betting on the TAB for Dragons to win the premiership. These are definitely exciting times.

rednwhites

Juniors
While I think it is fair to say this team is not like the recent years when we managed to win some early games and lead the field, I cannot forget 2011. Some agencies were already paying out on anyone who backed Dragons to win the premiership midway through the year. It really did look like we couldn't be stopped. A slump, origin hit and we bowed out in straight sets. It's a long season. Dragons deserve to be favoured as a result of how they have dominated, but there's so many twist and turns left and fortunes can turn around quickly with injury and form slumps. I know the coach and players won't be getting cocky, and it will be very interesting how the team responds to losing, when the time comes.

Gareth67

First Grade
While I think it is fair to say this team is not like the recent years when we managed to win some early games and lead the field, I cannot forget 2011. Some agencies were already paying out on anyone who backed Dragons to win the premiership midway through the year. It really did look like we couldn't be stopped. A slump, origin hit and we bowed out in straight sets. It's a long season. Dragons deserve to be favoured as a result of how they have dominated, but there's so many twist and turns left and fortunes can turn around quickly with injury and form slumps. I know the coach and players won't be getting cocky, and it will be very interesting how the team responds to losing, when the time comes.

Good post rednwhites , I believe that you have said it the way it is at this point of the new season - only 5 games in . Great to see that we are on top at present and are beginning to become consistent. I believe that the game against the rabbits will help the team in realising that we need to play good football every week and not to take any opponent too lightly .

It was a hard fought win on Friday night , but the last ditch defence WAS there when required - whereas last year it wasn't . Also the first match that we lose and how we back up from that loss , will go a long way in determining just how far the Dragons will go this year .

ouryears

Bench
Tonight the TAB has the Dragons equal favourite to win the competition.
Dragons $5.50
Roosters $5.50
Melbourne $7.50
Warriors $9.00
Nth Qld $9.00

This is a great side, I could not believe at the start of the season we were outsiders to make the 8. When I looked at the side on paper I thought am I missing something how could this team not be in the 8. Plenty of so called league experts thought we would struggle to make finals. I know it's a long way to go but people are betting on the TAB for Dragons to win the premiership. These are definitely exciting times.
Bookies say they hold the smallest amount of money on the dragons from any of the top 8 teams, no one wants to put their hard earned on them yet.

But I prefer that, i hate favouritism, this is only week 5, it's nothing yet other than promising.

Last edited:

rednwhites

Juniors
Bokies say they hold the smallest amount of money on the dragons from any of the top 8 teams, no one wants to put their hard earned on them yet.

Purely because McGregor has no finals credibility whatsoever to this point so can hardly blame them for not wanting to invest in Dragons. Warriors will have the same issue.

denis preston

First Grade
Happy that we are going so well and credit to everyone in the club for our start....BUT , if we fall into a hole like we do every year McGregor & his mob need to be jettisoned out of the place straight away. If you can't learn from previous years then you will never learn.

Will it happen ? Dont know, didn't think it would happen last year so time will tell. Better squad IMO with better depth & leadership.If the selections aren't based on favoritism and the interchange is more even than , that will help as well.

Slackboy72

Coach
I don't yet think we're the finished article. But I can't see many other teams shaping up as that either.
Easts - maybe they'll come good. Depends on everyone not named cronk.
Panthers - maybe. Depends on Maloney.
Warriors - looking good but they have form on disappointing us.
Tigers - I don't expect them to be in contention come late September.
Sharks - possibly. They're good at that gritty, dirty finals type football.
Melbourne - maybe. Same as sharks.

Every other team has a glaring weakness with exception of easts but they're not doing it at the moment.
We could be seeing something special this year. Our big weakness will be fatigue.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Before the season kicked off, a guy I know briefly who is a Saints fan and who goes down to Woolongong to watch them train and who went to Mudgee for the trial game said that he thought we could win the comp and had backed us to win the comp. I mentioned it on this forum and some posters thought he was mental. lol

On a Saturday, I saw him at the TAB after a few rounds had been played. He told me that the TAB still had us at $17 to be leading the comp at the halfway mark. I went to put the bet on, but it was closed. They shut down, the minor premiership, top 4, top 8 and most loses markets after the first game of the round is played until the end of the round. I am spewing that I didn't get the $17 on offer as we will almost definitely be leading the comp now after round 13.

I had already taken the $7 that we would be minor premiers. We are now paying $2.30 to be minor premiers. I looked at the rest of our draw and it looks to be very favourable from here on in.

hazzbeen

Bench
Before the season kicked off, a guy I know briefly who is a Saints fan and who goes down to Woolongong to watch them train and who went to Mudgee for the trial game said that he thought we could win the comp and had backed us to win the comp. I mentioned it on this forum and some posters thought he was mental. lol

On a Saturday, I saw him at the TAB after a few rounds had been played. He told me that the TAB still had us at $17 to be leading the comp at the halfway mark. I went to put the bet on, but it was closed. They shut down, the minor premiership, top 4, top 8 and most loses markets after the first game of the round is played until the end of the round. I am spewing that I didn't get the $17 on offer as we will almost definitely be leading the comp now after round 13.

I had already taken the $7 that we would be minor premiers. We are now paying $2.30 to be minor premiers. I looked at the rest of our draw and it looks to be very favourable from here on in.
Good luck to you , hope you win it ....

Crush

Coach
Last 4 rounds of regular season are
Parra
Tigers
Dogs
Knights
I doubt any of those teams will be in top 8. I think we will win the 2018 comp. I originally thought 3rd but now I think 1st. Year of the dragons.
Widdop Daly M
Nighty Clive Churchill
McGregor a premiership winning coach

Alec's-saints

Juniors
Last 4 rounds of regular season are
Parra
Tigers
Dogs
Knights
I doubt any of those teams will be in top 8. I think we will win the 2018 comp. I originally thought 3rd but now I think 1st. Year of the dragons.
Widdop Daly M
Nighty Clive Churchill
McGregor a premiership winning coach
objective would blow up if this came true