What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are you most looking forward to in 2018 ?

possm

Coach
I'll be closely following the progress of Zax Lomax. With a strong off-season, I'm tipping him to take the right centre spot and make it his own. Just needs to strengthen his body over the off-season and he will be ready to go.

Lomax has size, sped, good hands and a great step. He is also an accurate goal kicker.

I believe:
Graham will add a lot to our pack
Hunt will put some organisation and purpose into the side
Dufty will buid up in the off-season and return the ball with confidence and speed.
Mann on our left wing, will be our top try scorer for 2018
Nightingale will be in a tussel with a few young guns for the right wing spot.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Not expecting much next year. Yes the forward pack may marginally improve, yes we will have a competent halfback, but until we get some dynamic backs and/or a decent backline coach, I reckon we will probably be playing the same old stodgy football.

I am looking forward to super hero round. I might get a new Avatar.

I heard we are going to be wonder woman next year lol

denis preston

First Grade
Put it this way... with this squad if we are struggling by the middle of the year the 3 amigos most go immediately. If it is not done, the board SHOULD call for Doust's head.

I think they will go ok considering the personnel but have mixed feelings that it will cover the deficiencies within the club but the side going well is the main thing.

BrissyRedV

Bench
There are several things I am looking forward to. Firstly, Hunt at halfback. Finally we have a quality half back and another focal point in attack other than Widdop. The spine we have looks grand, and if it gels, we should be more than competitive.

Secondly, Graham at prop. He is exactly the kind of prop we need to take over from Packer, and mentor the young guys we have coming through. Really adds to our pack and should provide good go forward and more leadership to the team.

Our young guys, in particular Dufty, Lomax and Host. Dufty getting a full preseason in at 1 with game plans designed around his ability to run and ball play will really add to our attack. He is deceptively strong and a tackle breaker. Lomax has size, skill and talent. I am really looking forward to seeing him in our backline, hopefully at centre in the near future. Great talent. And lastly Host. I really like the lines he runs at 2nd row and has great go forward. Good in defence as well. So long as he is not used inappropriately by Mary, he will excel.

And lastly, if we fail to fire for whatever reason, it would be nigh on impossible for Doust to come up with a legitimate reason to retain Mary. So in short, it could possibly be the last season we see a Mary coached side.

Crush

Coach
I'll be closely following the progress of Zax Lomax. With a strong off-season, I'm tipping him to take the right centre spot and make it his own. Just needs to strengthen his body over the off-season and he will be ready to go.

Lomax has size, sped, good hands and a great step. He is also an accurate goal kicker.

I believe:
Graham will add a lot to our pack
Hunt will put some organisation and purpose into the side
Dufty will buid up in the off-season and return the ball with confidence and speed.
Mann on our left wing, will be our top try scorer for 2018
Nightingale will be in a tussel with a few young guns for the right wing spot.
Haven't heard the " Milward Mess" call for a while Possm. Do you think that maybe you were a bit harsh on Milward and that he in actual fact has done a good job of recruitment and retention?

MrDragon007

Juniors
Im looking forward to seeing Hunt. One, he will compliment Widdop in the halves, and 2, i got a sneaky feeling he will form a combination with Dufty that will blow people away.
Similar to the Cronk/Slater style, only younger players with more speed that will tear shit up.
Mary cant coach but i see this team as a top 4 team if the players play consistently. With a top coach we have a team on paper that would be minor premiers.
I love nighty to death, but i dont see him being our winger the entire season, he will get replaced by a youngster and the youngster wont look back once given a run.

JDHD

Juniors
The inevitable hashtags:

#GoYouMadHunt
#LetsGoBenanas
#BenThereDoneThat
#OnTheHunt
#HuntForceTrauma
#StunningHunts
#MadeThemLookLikeAPackOfHunts
#BenTen

I could go on

Coffs dragon

Bench
I'm most looking forward to a fair & even season draw that is not dictated by the TCN 9 Broncos. As a bonus I'd also like to see the Storm, Broncos and Dogs have a shit year!!
James Graham to knock Mary's lights out if & when he mentions "our D"

dragonsman4eva

Juniors
Im looking forward to a lot of what 2018 can offer. These include:

- A running halfback with a solid kicking game and the ability to free Gareth up

- Euan Aitken having an injury free year. Kid had terrible luck last year and every game he played, he played well. There is a lot of people saying he is a back rower. Completely disagree, he is made for centre. Very strong, great fend, fast. All he needs to develop is better decision making in defence and some ball skills. I thought we missed him a lot this year.

- Tim Lafai finding more consistency. He found the formula of what it takes to be on his game and his potential is amazing. Having 2 international halves will help him immensely !

- Development of our younger boys - Dufty, Robson, Lawrie, Host, Lomax, Sele, Ford. We have a fantastic crop coming through and will be very interesting to see how everyone develops.

- No excuses! Mcgregor has the squad he wants. There are absolutely no excuses next year. World class halves, world class forwards, an exciting fullback, fantastic dummy halves, Classy centres. Absolutely no excuses IMO.

I have also heard Hunt mention that he wants to find his running game with us and he studies the best halves in the game. Wants to work on digging right into the line which is going to be extremely beneficial for our team in the long term.

redVbull

Juniors
McGregor proved he had no idea how to develop a game plan with a dynamic & unpredictable playmaking halfback (Benji).

Bound to be repeated with Hunt I'm afraid.

He's coming to a club whose style consists of poor half & 5/8 co-ordination; a one-man attack plan (Widdop) that has little direction and everyone 2nd guessing; and a backline unable to mobilise an attack out of broken play opportunity.

Hopefully McGregor's doing his homework, analysing Hunt's game to build a cohesive, dynamic and supporting gameplan, and drill the team into it - viz. the Broncos. If not, a world-class recruitment will be squandered and our season totally <expletive deleted>!

to_ddeath

Coach
McGregor proved he had no idea how to develop a game plan with a dynamic & unpredictable playmaking halfback (Benji).

He's coming to a club whose style consists of poor half & 5/8 co-ordination; a one-man attack plan (Widdop) that has little direction and everyone 2nd guessing; and a backline unable to mobilise an attack out of broken play opportunity.

Hopefully McGregor's doing his homework, analysing Hunt's game to build a cohesive, dynamic and supporting gameplan, and drill the team into it - viz. the Broncos. If not, a world-class recruitment will be squandered and our season totally <expletive deleted>!

Sorry but I stopped at "doing his homework, analysing..".
These are 2 things that are foreign to Mehry thus far.

JDHD

Juniors

If it all goes to shit, Mary will be gone. No finals after our start to the year, if he starts 2018 with two high profile international recruits (one of which has captained club and country) and not be at least 50/50, he'll be out the door.

ouryear

Juniors
Im looking forward to a lot of what 2018 can offer. These include:

- A running halfback with a solid kicking game and the ability to free Gareth up

- Euan Aitken having an injury free year. Kid had terrible luck last year and every game he played, he played well. There is a lot of people saying he is a back rower. Completely disagree, he is made for centre. Very strong, great fend, fast. All he needs to develop is better decision making in defence and some ball skills. I thought we missed him a lot this year.

- Tim Lafai finding more consistency. He found the formula of what it takes to be on his game and his potential is amazing. Having 2 international halves will help him immensely !

- Development of our younger boys - Dufty, Robson, Lawrie, Host, Lomax, Sele, Ford. We have a fantastic crop coming through and will be very interesting to see how everyone develops.

- No excuses! Mcgregor has the squad he wants. There are absolutely no excuses next year. World class halves, world class forwards, an exciting fullback, fantastic dummy halves, Classy centres. Absolutely no excuses IMO.

I have also heard Hunt mention that he wants to find his running game with us and he studies the best halves in the game. Wants to work on digging right into the line which is going to be extremely beneficial for our team in the long term.

Interesting to see how G. Widdop goes with a good number 7 for England.
No excuses.

j0nesy

Bench
I'm looking forward to watching 5 games at Wollongong and another 5 at Kogarah and hence will be renewing my membership.

I'm looking forward to having an actual halfback controlling our attack.

I'm looking forward to seeing our juniors progress. Especially Dufty, who I believe has immense potential.

ouryear

Juniors
If it all goes to shit, Mary will be gone. No finals after our start to the year, if he starts 2018 with two high profile international recruits (one of which has captained club and country) and not be at least 50/50, he'll be out the door.
JDHD, the board better NOT put the pass Mark at only 50%.

50% season is what, 13 wins and a lousy 26 competition points.

I think 34 competition points is the very minimum pass mark.

Not one point less.

JDHD

Juniors
JDHD, the board better NOT put the pass Mark at only 50%.

50% season is what, 13 wins and a lousy 26 competition points.

I think 34 competition points is the very minimum pass mark.

Not one point less.

Sorry I did that thing where I'm not clear enough. I meant 50-50 after six rounds because let's face it, the first two months of the comp are a crapshoot