What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you want to see from F7's in 2013?

Monk

Referee
Whether it be a small tinker or a jack hammer sized proposal. What do you, the people want from F7's in the upcoming season? Last year saw less games over a longer period of time, aswell as a rep season which plunged into the depths of december. How did everyone feel about this? Are there aspects of previous seasons which you want brought back? Or do you have an idea that could revolutionise the game as we know it.

Anything and everything. Shoot.

Misanthrope

Staff member
It goes against the spirit of the game, I guess, but I'd love to be able to write about any sport.

I would like to see personal milestones brought up more. Even the smallest! 10 games is still showing some sort of dedication to this competition! I would love to celebrate and congratulate!

Monk

Referee
It's stolen from something Willow was talking about - but i'd love to see F7's recognised more throughout the forum. Just so more people know what it is and take notice. Hopefully we can find a way to make steps towards that this season.

jamesgould

Juniors
I would like to see personal milestones brought up more. Even the smallest! 10 games is still showing some sort of dedication to this competition! I would love to celebrate and congratulate!

I reckon that's a good idea. Also more recognition of good articles, maybe the potm for each game could have their article posted on the forum sevens homepage? And somehow bringing them to the attention of the wider site (maybe in the sidebar or something?).

I think it'd be good if the awards took place at the end of the year too, they seem like a bit of an afterthought when they take place at the start of the next year.

Monk

Referee
I think we did a few on the F7's front page in 2012. Not sure about the LU front page though.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I think we did a few on the F7's front page in 2012. Not sure about the LU front page though.

Might be an idea to front page them. Puts them where more people are likely to read them and gets them published in a way that looks more legit than linking to a forum post.

Don't mark 'em as F7s and let people judge them on their own merits.

TooheysNew

Coach
If they were on the f7s site, they were definitely on the LU homepage too. But yeah, they'll have more prominence this year.

gorilla

First Grade
We need to get more players. However we do that.

That - you need lots more players.

And refs that are available and an organiser.

Publicity across the interweb and in the normal media - send a weekly update and links to POTM posts to various RL journos.

Bubbles

Juniors
I would like to revisit an idea that I know has been discussed before and that is that articles in big games be marked by 2 refs at least, rather than just the one. Let me just say that this is in no way meant to be a go at the refs, because I truly think they do a great job and mark articles with fairness, integrity and the best intentions towards the F7s. However, there is no doubt that there are certain refs that 'get' an article, or indeed a writer's particular style, while others seem to not so much and the marks from these respective refs reflect that. I just think that in big games it can be frustrating when you know you've got the ref, or one of the refs, who fall into the latter category and it would create a fairer system in these crunch games if we got at least one other ref involved.

I cannot recall in the previous discussion in relation to this topic what objections, or issues there were, however I just wondered what others' thoughts are on this. Once again, this is in no way meant to have a go at any ref - I think you're all legends for putting in your time and effort the way you guys do.

Monk

Referee
I agree that its something that definitely needs to be looked into. But it all depends on the availabilities of the refs. When NT gets his team of refs together we will see if its something that can be implemented.

griffo346

First Grade
ive always been a advicate of writting about other sports or have a designated sport topic for each round

like round 1 union
round 2 league
round 3 Soccer

etc

We can't do that as a round-by-round thing. Too unfair for people.
Say...Souths have two writers who love Union, and the Warriors have five because they've somehow caught the bug of an inferior sport.

joshie

Live Update Team
I like the idea of 2 refs but obviously only in big games, especially if there is only one game that week anyway!

I don't like the idea of other sport topics! This is a league comp first and foremost

TooheysNew

Coach
I don't like the idea of other sport topics! This is a league comp first and foremost
Agree with this. As a novelty round, or as part of an exhibition match, as open topic, sure - but not as a regular thing.

Bubbles

Juniors
Yeah, availability of refs is the key to this but I have no doubt NT will get everything well and truly organised and functioning like a well oiled machine!

As for writing about other sports I too really dislike the idea, however if it were to happen I really really dislike the idea of having a designated sport each round - after all, with all the different personalities and types involved in this comp the one common denominator is league and I think it would unfairly advantage some while disadvantaging others not so familiar with the other sport.

Monk

Referee
Writing about other sports would only ever happen in a one off exhibition match - Reffed by at least three referees. This comp is about writing about league, it will stay that way no questions asked.

As for the Referees idea - maybe give it a test run during the Willow Cup Final/State of Origin?

Drew-Sta

Staff member
One thing I'd like to float is the 'coach' position. For instance, I would want to occasionally give my players a run ahead of myself. I would list myself as coach, appoint a captain for each game, and my only contribution would be to list the team and list substitutions if needed.

What are peoples thoughts?