What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What fish do ya'll eat?

Fire

First Grade
What's cracken people? Was talking to a dude at the pub (haha I know, real good place for a health conversation).

Anyways, he was an old school tough fella, has trained boxers, jockeys, footy players, etc, and was telling me not to eat fish/seafood that are "bottom feeders" (i.e., eat off the bottom of the ocean) because they eat all the shit and have nothing of nutritional value for you. Only to eat "deep sea" fish/seafood, as they have all the good stuff in them.

Was wondering if anyone else has heard this.

p.s. He also told me to chuck out anything "white" i.e., bread, milk, eggs, chicken (unless you raised it yourself in your own backyard).

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Dude is smoking crack, there's no scientific basis to that. Plenty of fish and other creatures live on the bottom and eat other bottom dewlling fish as well as aquatic plants. Anywa crayfish, prawns, flounder, mussels and gurnard all taste bloody good.
As for the white thing, there's no real connection between all those foods that he claims are bad apart from colour. White bread is pretty crap though
As for what I eat, pretty much anything I can catch, the fresher the better!

aqua_duck

Coach
What's cracken people? Was talking to a dude at the pub (haha I know, real good place for a health conversation).

Anyways, he was an old school tough fella, has trained boxers, jockeys, footy players, etc, and was telling me not to eat fish/seafood that are "bottom feeders" (i.e., eat off the bottom of the ocean) because they eat all the shit and have nothing of nutritional value for you. Only to eat "deep sea" fish/seafood, as they have all the good stuff in them.

p.s. He also told me to chuck out anything "white" i.e., bread, milk, eggs, chicken (unless you raised it yourself in your own backyard).

Typical bro science. Ask any bodybuilder/athlete/dedicated fitness freak what does their diet consist of, I think you'll find chicken breasts and eggs would be right up there, I doubt they all rear their own chickens. If you're that concerned just make sure it's free range chicken and eggs.
In terms of white, white refined carbs aren't the best but that's about the extent of it

Fire

First Grade
Hi fellas, thanks for your replies, much appreciated.

Yeah I was shocked when he said no chicken or eggs (wtf???).

Anyways, will take what the three of you have said on board.

Fire

First Grade
Dude is smoking crack, there's no scientific basis to that. Plenty of fish and other creatures live on the bottom and eat other bottom dewlling fish as well as aquatic plants. Anywa crayfish, prawns, flounder, mussels and gurnard all taste bloody good.
As for the white thing, there's no real connection between all those foods that he claims are bad apart from colour. White bread is pretty crap though
As for what I eat, pretty much anything I can catch, the fresher the better!

Amen to that!

That's why I started this thread lol. Some of the seafood he said shocked me. It tastes too good!

BDR

First Grade
Not to mention that deep sea fish and those at the top of the food chain often have significantly higher levels of heavy metals like mercury which are bio accumulators

Doesn't stop me from trying to send tuna extinct though.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Best fish is whiting, flathead and snapper for me. If they are self caught, all the better.

Best shellfish are prawns, scallops, mussels, oysters and abalone (when I can get it).

Crabs are difficult to manage and lobster is overrated for the price.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Basically what that guy says about not eating "bottom feeders" makes about as much sense as only eating flying birds and avoiding chicken, pork, beef and lamb because they're all "bottom feeders" too :lol:

Aragorn

First Grade

right. and if he told you to jump off the harbour bridge would you do it?

BDR

First Grade
I will say one thing though - if you can do it at all you should definitely try and get chickens who will lay fresh eggs for you. Yolks are brighter, shells are thicker and they taste so much more delicious.

Supermarket eggs aren't a patch on backyard chook eggs.

Cliffhanger

Coach
Salmon for sure, as long as you don't over cook it. Used to like Barra but am over it now unless I bake the whole fish. Snapper is pretty good too.

I try and get organic free range with all my meats. I am over chicken though, been eating mostly the same thing every day for a few weeks and now I've lost my appetite for everything but scrambled eggs.

Cliffhanger

Coach
Best fish is whiting, flathead and snapper for me. If they are self caught, all the better.

Best shellfish are prawns, scallops, mussels, oysters and abalone (when I can get it).

Crabs are difficult to manage and lobster is overrated for the price.

We don't even get lobster in Aust, it's crayfish.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Sushi, Sashimi (Salmon, Tuna, King fish etc...) - also love crustaceans such as crab and prawns. Loved BBQ Octopus, although you can only have that in small portions due to the mercury it contains.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Snapper is overrated IMO, it's good, but not so much better than everything else the way some people make out. Definitely overfished and overpriced.
Would never pay for crayfish either, I pretty much only eat either if I catch my own.
Eels are tasty too, though a bit of a pain to prepare.

firechild

First Grade
Based on the wording of the thread title, I'd go with catfish, bass, seabass and anything that your family has it's own name for.

But really, there is nothing unhealthy about bottom feeders, in fact many such as flathead are ambush predators so they often have a similar diet to pelagic fish. The only real benefit to eating SOME pelagic fish over others is that they may be higher in some minerals such as iron due to the higher energy usage of the muscles. This certainly applies to fish such as tuna and most mackeral. On the other hand, large pelagic fish can contain higher quantities of bioaccumulating metals/compounds such as mercury or even ciguatoxin (the toxin that causes ciguatera poisoning).