What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is Jack Bird's best position?

What is Jack Bird's best position?

• Fullback

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Centre

Votes: 29 39.2%
  • Five-eighth

Votes: 17 23.0%
  • Second row

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Lock

Votes: 20 27.0%

• Total voters

Glendale

Juniors
It's finally gone against one of the Sydney clubs so now it's gonna be a big topic. Funny, us Knights fans have been going on about it for years.

Foz

Bench
I think you'll find TPAs have been an issue for Sydney clubs for sometime.
It's not like Parramatta for example we're happy with how it was being dealt with.
Whilst they cheated the cap they still couldn't get within a bulls roar of the advantages some other clubs are given.
How many Friday night games have the Sharks received over the last few years?Im tipping the Broncos for one would get way more than them.Hell even Newcastle would be on more than the Sharks.
The issues been brewing for a while.

wibble

Bench
So the best defense here about the advantages the Broncos get is that the Roosters also get them?

If we published TPAs, no one would be shocked if the Broncos and Roosters players are paid millions more than other squads. $300 000+ on Bird's income for TPAs is huge. That is 30% or more of his base salary. If this is common at clubs with good TPAs, they are operating with teams worth 30% more than others, more than the "salary cap cheating" Storm teams. But that is pure speculation.

The Broncos can't help the area they are in, and the scheduling of matches (well, they probably have some say- Sharks had 1 request for this year, apparently, which was a 50th year celebration match on their 50th anniversary, and got the due consideration (i.e. none) they always get, I doubt the Broncos would be denied like that).

If the Broncos have strong branding, and businesses want to jump on board and support their players, that is due to their strengths. They shouldn't be punished or derided for being strong.

BUT in an era when rorting is abundant, and coaches and players are judged on results, more transparency on player salaries, and on TPAs, would help us judge performances fairly, and reduce shonky TPAs like the Eels were busted for using.

The only groups that would not want this transparency are players (because they want their privacy- fair enough, but many professional athletes, and public figures in other industries, have their incomes published), dodgy clubs/businesses that don't want scrutiny on dodgy TPAs, and the NRL, because they don't want us to know how uneven their even competition is.

Since the publishing of TPAs and salaries is only good for the public, and fairness, and the game in general, and for struggling clubs, but is not good for the NRL or powerful clubs, there is no way it is going to happen.

davi

Juniors
I think you'll find TPAs have been an issue for Sydney clubs for sometime.
It's not like Parramatta for example we're happy with how it was being dealt with.
Whilst they cheated the cap they still couldn't get within a bulls roar of the advantages some other clubs are given.
How many Friday night games have the Sharks received over the last few years?Im tipping the Broncos for one would get way more than them.Hell even Newcastle would be on more than the Sharks.
The issues been brewing for a while.

I'm pretty sure I've read the Broncos have complained to the NRL in previous years about the amount of Friday nights games they get in the draw. They would prefer more Sunday arvo games because they get bigger crowds. But I could be wrong about that.

Nightward

Juniors
So the best defense here about the advantages the Broncos get is that the Roosters also get them?

Not really. Several clubs have most of the advantages the Broncos are regularly accused of having, some to even greater degrees. The only one that really strikes true is the number of Friday night games Channel 9 gives them, and neither the Broncos nor their fans want that any way. The NRL really does need to control the draw, using that to get rid of Thursday and Monday games which are just stupid.

If we published TPAs, no one would be shocked if the Broncos and Roosters players are paid millions more than other squads. $300 000+ on Bird's income for TPAs is huge. That is 30% or more of his base salary. If this is common at clubs with good TPAs, they are operating with teams worth 30% more than others, more than the "salary cap cheating" Storm teams. But that is pure speculation.

TPAs aren't real great all round. I would prefer the NRL to grant salary cap reductions for players that have been with a club for 5+ years to retain good players rather than use it as an extended war chest to target players other clubs have developed. I feel that would be a better reward for successful clubs that have put in the effort to develop players and that should be favoured over just buying from someone else.

The Broncos can't help the area they are in, and the scheduling of matches (well, they probably have some say- Sharks had 1 request for this year, apparently, which was a 50th year celebration match on their 50th anniversary, and got the due consideration (i.e. none) they always get, I doubt the Broncos would be denied like that).

They tend to schedule the Cowboys against the Broncos for round 1 or 2 depending on other requests and where they finished the previous season but that's the same level of courtesy most clubs get and has become a Queensland tradition like the Good Friday match.

carcharias

Immortal
I'm pretty sure I've read the Broncos have complained to the NRL in previous years about the amount of Friday nights games they get in the draw. They would prefer more Sunday arvo games because they get bigger crowds. But I could be wrong about that.
Poor f**kers
Not enough people go to watch their prime time FTA Friday night residency game

Yeah give them the better attended prime time FTA Sunday arvo residency game instead.

RazorRam0n

Juniors
Wether it's Thursday Friday or Sunday doesn't matter, the issue is FTA preferential treatement which directly impacts the broncos ability to incentivize 3rd party agreements via tv exposure.

Full nrl disclosure of club registered tpas can't come soon enough..it's a matter of when not if

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Jack's daddy said:
Jack Bird's father, Mick, has hit back at angry fans who have unleashed criticism on the youngster for apparently chasing the money at Brisbane.

Bird reportedly signed a $4 million four-year deal to move to Red Hill, but his father insists if he was money hungry he would have taken a more lucrative offer at the Knights.
"If it was about money for Jack, he would've signed with Newcastle," Mick Birdtold the Sydney Morning Herald.

"Their deal was a lot better than Brisbane's if it's about money. Everyone is giving him s--t about it saying he is money-hungry and that but it's not about the money. It's about going forward to somewhere he can keep developing his footy.

"To go and get the opportunity to play under Wayne Bennett - that's a privilege at such a big club like Brisbane. I think Wayne sees something in Jack and I think he'll get every opportunity to show his best at the Broncos. I think he's got more to offer than playing centre."

Bird senior fired shots at his son's supposed 'fans'.

"He's my boy, he's always my boy - no matter how old they are. I just don't know why are they belittling the kid for. I don't know what their problem is. Just a gutless mob of people. They've really shocked me what they say about people,'' he said.

"They're supposed to be your fans. Just gutless people. I hate reading that stuff but sometimes you can't help but read it. If everyone is replaceable, then just replace him with someone and get on with life."
I wish Jack the best, but hell daddy quotes, sounds like Lichaa's Daddy......which turned out to be false praise....

Jack helped us win a premiership, so no issue, hope he does well.........not a spine player, but a good edge player.

txta2

Bench
Back on the Tpas, Thoroughbred, Andrew Gee connection,its getting back.to the days of theBroncos team chock full of soo and test players.The old player wants to play for Wayne for less money is the biggest load of Qld bs
So yes the tpas need to have full disclosure

Life's Good

Coach
Broncos signing Bird has ignited a volcano with the Sydney clubs, they want the TPA discussion back on the agenda.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ves-for-brisbane-broncos-20170413-gvkuk7.html
And so it should be. The frustration is the NRL spends more time debating a ban on slapping and other frivolous sh*t and something that most fans agree is a big problem is pushed to one side where they will trot out 'this the the most even the competition has been'. I haven't got the answer but I am sure the NRL could use their international study trips on more than fine dining & r*b & t*gs.

Jaegerex

Juniors
Doesn't Jack Bird have arthritis or something? that guy is honestly a legend to even be playing in the NRL at all,arthritis is f**ked.
Yup, rheumatoid arthritis. Which is why I am more than happy for him to leave us and chase the money and fame he desires, odds are his nrl career won't be a prolonged one.
So burn bright Jack and shine while you still can.

Nightward

Juniors
Wether it's Thursday Friday or Sunday doesn't matter, the issue is FTA preferential treatement which directly impacts the broncos ability to incentivize 3rd party agreements via tv exposure.

Full nrl disclosure of club registered tpas can't come soon enough..it's a matter of when not if

And blaming the Broncos for it is pointless. They don't want it. They keep arguing against it. The issue is Channel 9's control of the draw.

And even if we allow this TPA argument any credence, literally nothing is stopping any other club in any other location from getting their act together and finding a wealthy sponsor. I again point out that the Sydney-based clubs have had *decades* over the Broncos and non-NSW clubs to make money and develop business partnerships, yet have failed to do so and continually fail to do so.

If the problem is as bad as you claim, and I seriously doubt that to be the case, then whether TPAs have to be publicly disclosed or not is irrelevant. Other clubs still won't have the money if what you're saying is true.

Either way, I re-iterate that the TPA system should be taken out the back and shot since it causes more trouble than it's worth for teams and fans and discussions here. The original intent with TPAs was to allow clubs to hold on to senior, skilled players at risk of being poached by others but that purpose has been subverted. Just get rid of it and apply a long service discount for players identified by a club before the age of 16 and who have been in the system for at least 5 years after that date. Then clubs will be able to hang on to their juniors and get an actual reward for that effort. Would encourage more investment in the lower grades too in order to locate and hone talent.

macavity

Referee
Poor Widdle Bwoncos having to play on prime time Friday nights and daddy Rupert won't do anything about it...

Nightward

Juniors
News Ltd no longer has any direct control over or say in how the NRL is run.

If you are angry about the scheduling of matches, I again refer you to Channel 9, who are the ones who dictate when games get played.

Knight76

Juniors
And blaming the Broncos for it is pointless. They don't want it. They keep arguing against it. The issue is Channel 9's control of the draw.

And even if we allow this TPA argument any credence, literally nothing is stopping any other club in any other location from getting their act together and finding a wealthy sponsor. I again point out that the Sydney-based clubs have had *decades* over the Broncos and non-NSW clubs to make money and develop business partnerships, yet have failed to do so and continually fail to do so.

If the problem is as bad as you claim, and I seriously doubt that to be the case, then whether TPAs have to be publicly disclosed or not is irrelevant. Other clubs still won't have the money if what you're saying is true.

Either way, I re-iterate that the TPA system should be taken out the back and shot since it causes more trouble than it's worth for teams and fans and discussions here. The original intent with TPAs was to allow clubs to hold on to senior, skilled players at risk of being poached by others but that purpose has been subverted. Just get rid of it and apply a long service discount for players identified by a club before the age of 16 and who have been in the system for at least 5 years after that date. Then clubs will be able to hang on to their juniors and get an actual reward for that effort. Would encourage more investment in the lower grades too in order to locate and hone talent.

Mate it's not about TPA's being available to some clubs and not available to others. The sad thing is TPA's have become an accepted way to pay a player to play for a club off the books. It is just accepted that this is what happens. TPA's were never meant to be salary for players from clubs in lieu of salary cap payment. They were supposed to be third party sponsorship from companies not related to the club at all, such as mark taylor selling air cons etc.

Sure, clubs like the broncs and roosters have the advantage as far as TPA's go.

But, the real issue is TPA's are not meant to be paid to players as salary for playing for the club. Period! If the NRL gave a shit about their salary cap and making it fair, they would actually do something about this situation where clubs make a mockery of the cap by signing a player for 1 million a year, 700 on the cap and 300 in TPAs.

The issue is the NRL don't (publicly) consider TPA's are being paid to players to sign them to a club. Laughably they watch this stuff happen, register the TPA's and it's play on boys.

The NRL will never publish TPA's as they don't consider those TPA's are paid to the player as remuneration. So we can't breach the players privacy by disclosing his income he earns away from the game can we. After all, those TPA's he got amazingly at the same time he signed, are just because of his standing in the game, the club didn't have anything to do with it!

MilkShark

First Grade
Leave the kid alone. He's only 22 dammit and making a million bucks a year for 80 minutes of football.

It's a tough gig.

Eion

First Grade
Mate it's not about TPA's being available to some clubs and not available to others. The sad thing is TPA's have become an accepted way to pay a player to play for a club off the books. It is just accepted that this is what happens. TPA's were never meant to be salary for players from clubs in lieu of salary cap payment. They were supposed to be third party sponsorship from companies not related to the club at all, such as mark taylor selling air cons etc.

Sure, clubs like the broncs and roosters have the advantage as far as TPA's go.

But, the real issue is TPA's are not meant to be paid to players as salary for playing for the club. Period! If the NRL gave a shit about their salary cap and making it fair, they would actually do something about this situation where clubs make a mockery of the cap by signing a player for 1 million a year, 700 on the cap and 300 in TPAs.

The issue is the NRL don't (publicly) consider TPA's are being paid to players to sign them to a club. Laughably they watch this stuff happen, register the TPA's and it's play on boys.

The NRL will never publish TPA's as they don't consider those TPA's are paid to the player as remuneration. So we can't breach the players privacy by disclosing his income he earns away from the game can we. After all, those TPA's he got amazingly at the same time he signed, are just because of his standing in the game, the club didn't have anything to do with it!
By not acknowledging the problem and at the very least taking steps to publish player incomes, the only rational conclusion you can reach is that the NRL are complicit in allowing this rort to happen.

Knight76

Juniors
Of course they are. It's all about looking like it's an even comp. It doesn't need to actually be fair.

If anything is questioned they run out the line about how hard it is to be back to back premiers. And fall back on the rubbish about players taking less because the support staff at a club are better hahahaha.

When they took steps to review the TPA situation who did they hire to do the review? Melbourne ex CEO lmao.

And was this review ever made public, nope. If I am wrong, I'd love to read the actual report.