What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the best way to count Premierships??

Lambretta

First Grade
I'd be much more inclined to use state rep games as a measure of the 2 comps. NSW used to spank QLD every year, leading to the creation of state of origin to make it less one sided.

Then you could also use the number of national reps from each comp, which the NSWRL dominated as well

I like how we refer to Queensland 10 v NSW 1 as "less one sided"

Someone's not using the counting method :p

Pommy

Coach
Or to paraphrase - we'd only have 1 Premiership, the Roosters would have two and waaaaaahhh not fair

That's essentially the whole point of this thread isn't it?
Only with Souths the leading side and people not liking that.
I'm not bragging mind, it really doesn't matter to me that they won 20 titles some time before I was born and most before even my dad was born.

blaza88z

Coach
Personally, I think the best way is to ask Todd Greenberg

13775630_1063143227072470_2752012925316855359_n.png

DiegoNT

First Grade
So how does alien count premierships. Does he just count magpies? Does he combine balmain and magpies for all the time he supported the wests tigers? Include wests tigers premiership to that tally, then add souths tally to that?
Balmains 11 + magpies 4 means that when alien supported wests tigers they had a combined 15 premierships, add the Tigers 2005 and it equals 16, then add the 20 premiership souths had when he started supporting plus the 2014 and alien has supported 37 premiership winning teams.

So how does alien count premierships. Does he just count magpies? Does he combine balmain and magpies for all the time he supported the wests tigers? Include wests tigers premiership to that tally, then add souths tally to that?
Balmains 11 + magpies 4 means that when alien supported wests tigers they had a combined 15 premierships, add the Tigers 2005 and it equals 16, then add the 20 premiership souths had when he started supporting plus the 2014 and alien has supported 37 premiership winning teams.

It'll be 54 when he jumps on board with the Dragons next year.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
That's essentially the whole point of this thread isn't it?
Only with Souths the leading side and people not liking that.
I'm not bragging mind, it really doesn't matter to me that they won 20 titles some time before I was born and most before even my dad was born.

This was basically my point. I know its a mostly meaningless excursus, but the way we talk about history does effect the way we think about the present...

I just wonder if you can compare a win in 1910 (when the NSWRL was basically what the local First Grade in Newcastle is today) to a Premiership in 2010, just because that comp sort of fed into this on.

Honestly, if we do count the yearly premierships, there would be a reasonable argument to include lower grade premierships as well.

I really wish there was a cleaner historical brake between the NSWRL and the NRL. Super League would have been that had it not turned into a clusterf*ck, but really we should have had QRL and NSWRL merge into a National comp in the 80s rather than the NSWRL just creating the Broncos and destroying the BRL/QRL.

Lambretta

First Grade
I believe that the landscape today shouldn't discount the efforts of the past

Just because times have changed it shouldn't discount the past efforts of clubs such as Souths or St George
Their Premierships are valid

Had the Sydney and Brisbane comps merged and included say Wynnum Manly, Eastern Suburbs or Redcliffe then I'm sure their Premierships would have counted as well.

But this didn't happen - the competition we have now is an evolution of the NSWRL competition
Therefore we include the Premierships of clubs who exist / or have existed in this competition

So South Sydney have 21 - St George have 15 and the Eastern Suburbs Districts have 13

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
^^^ fair enough

But, I hope that, if the next QLD expansion team is an old BRL/QRL team like the Brothers or the Diehards, they just claim their BRL premierships and just tell everyone to f*ck off.

"Valley boys looking for their 18th premiership" feels like a good way to get under the skin of Sydney-centric fans ;)

RockWheel

Bench
^^^ fair enough

But, I hope that, if the next QLD expansion team is an old BRL/QRL team like the Brothers or the Diehards, they just claim their BRL premierships and just tell everyone to f*ck off.

"Valley boys looking for their 18th premiership" feels like a good way to get under the skin of Sydney-centric fans ;)

Well sure, if Valleys did join the NRL, they would and should claim their next premiership as their 25th, but it would still only be their 1st NRL title.

siv

First Grade
You will find that it wont be acknowledged

Just like in AFL does recognize Port Adelaides past SAFL results

Just out of interest, pre the Broncos, were BRL clubs sounded out to join the NSWRL? I know a number of consortiums bid for the spot finally won by the Broncos but can't remember if Sydney ever offered a spot(s) to BRL club(s) to join.

johnny plath

Juniors
Just out of interest, pre the Broncos, were BRL clubs sounded out to join the NSWRL? I know a number of consortiums bid for the spot finally won by the Broncos but can't remember if Sydney ever offered a spot(s) to BRL club(s) to join.

Nah not that I remember.... BRL clubs weren't rich in the way they are now... QLD didn't get pokies until after Joh finally got the arse as premier. Part of the push for a Brisbane team was so that stars playing in QLD that were being lured away for money in Sydney would be able to stay in Brisbane, make good money, and play in the Sydney comp. A lot of rose coloured glasses on here recall the glory days of the BRL, but it was struggling for a while before the broncos came in.... finals got good crowds, but regular season games were pretty dismal.